Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is indoctrinating a child from the time of birth a form of brainwashing?
Yes 64 57.14%
No 41 36.61%
Unsure 7 6.25%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times

Advertisements

so, if people dont like the idea that its brainwashing if its a small child, what if its 5 or 6 and starts to believe other than the parents?

are said parents going to be happy little johnny is learning to think for himself, or will the BW begin then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. Of course it's brainwashing. Children should NOT be subjected to religion of any kind but should be taught the myriad ways that people believe in the world around them and what it could possibly mean. The choice(s) should be theirs to pursue.

Those who don't think it's brainwashing have been brainwashed into thinking so. Kind of a vicious circle that dooms generations to lives lived without the benefit of independent thought. Voting NO doesn't exonerate your religion of the damage it does to the mind of a child. You may want your religion to be right, but, hey, if anyone wants to know anything about God, ASK YOUR CHILD. He or she just came from there!

Religion is brainwashing plain and simple.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
absolutely...

Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
A poll by an overly simplistic mind, does nothing to further understanding or comprehension, but is merely put out there to denigrate a person's belief system. In particular, to bash Christianity...a popular bloodsport these days for sure. As mentioned already here, of course children are "indoctrinated" by parents and society. They come out of the canal a tabla rasa (blank slate), so is easy to program a little mind. It is incumbent on sane and rational parents to TEACH children their moral values and those of the society in which they live. Else we would all be wild animals, and have more kinship with those rogue nations we so want to have "good relations" with....but, another subject altogether.
Agree...this forum has become nothing but a Christian bashing forum because people are throwing a fit about Prop. 8. If atheism isn't a religion, why does it bother you people so much that some people believe? Why is it your goal to convert people to atheism?

Old 12-13-2008, 12:21 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agree...this forum has become nothing but a Christian bashing forum because people are throwing a fit about Prop. 8. If atheism isn't a religion, why does it bother you people so much that some people believe? Why is it your goal to convert people to atheism?
It is not my goal to convert anyone like how you Christians take it upon yourselves to convert everyone. You make Christians look so innocent. Haha. It is funny.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
What? This thread isn't even about Prop. 8. It was simply asking a question that appeared to be unbiased, from what I could see.

You're starting to sound paranoid, Chris.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 AM

512 posts, read 712,809 times
Quote:
Yeah I hate it when Atheists come to your door in the morning and try to convert you. Why cant they just leave us all alone.

Please. Atheists don't try to recruit believers to Atheism.

The great thing about atheism is that since it is based on facts you don't need to have a bunch of other people believe to justify your ideas. Why do you think mega churches are so popular. In order to believe something so ridiculous you need the masses to validate you. "All these other people believe so it must not be that crazy".

Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,013,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
so, if people dont like the idea that its brainwashing if its a small child, what if its 5 or 6 and starts to believe other than the parents?

are said parents going to be happy little johnny is learning to think for himself, or will the BW begin then?
That is so strange that you mention this.
We've got a household run by a overly educated ,raised by hardcore Catholics (and still recovering from theological studies at the college level) parent (yep that's me)
on one side,
and technical "Jew" raised as Jewish "only for the food"
we have not brought our children into any sacred space of any kind.
We don't discuss religion much at all around here...but our 5.5 year old just informed me last night that:
"God is a guy who's up in the sky and he made us."

I found that really amusing.
I have no idea where he got that from, so fear not you Christians worried that our society is going to Hell in a handbasket, I give you proof otherwise!

Well, ok, so I did point out to him that "yes, that is what some people believe, sure."

And that was the end of it, he wanted to read the bedtime storybook, but I figure eventually he will come to ask what we think.

That'll be a fun discussion.

I have chosen not to indoctrinate my kids with any religion from the git-go because I'm really looking forward to more discussions with them about all different types of belief systems.

And for the record kids, there are basic fundamental requirements for what is actually a religion,( you know rituals dogma etc etc) that Atheism, I can assure you does NOT even come close to ANY of those requirements.
Unless of course, you were just joking around BlazerProphet?!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 AM

855 posts, read 2,397,253 times
You could argue that raising a child on any belief set is indoctrination. Some children may be raised to believe Muslims, Blacks, Jews or Hispanics are evil. Some could be raised to believe in God or that there is no God. Some could be raised to believe that polygamy or homosexuality is a sin or that they're not. Anyway you look at it, it's forcing a belief on a child. Whether it's brainwashing or not comes down to semantics. I believe the term originated to apply to someone who has been "reprogrammed" to believe something contrary to the ways they were trained or raised.

Regarding atheism, it's not a religion. It's a belief. I would say there's a social aspect to it as there are groups dedicated to this belief. I wouldn't call it a cultural phenomenon though. It may have been when there was a time of more religious fundamentalism and people of such beliefs were stigmatized or prosecuted but not so much now, at least in this country.

I personally don't believe people would give atheism much thought if it weren't for those that go out of their way to protest the actions or displays of those who don't believe as they do. JMHO.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:21 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Religion is just like sexual preference. You can't dictate that. If a man has a natural tendency to like other men, a trait that he slowly recognizes as a boy from kindergarten on, parental pressure for him to like girls, is not going to make a difference. He should be allowed to naturally choose his course. Same with religion. It shouldn't be shoved down a kid's throat from an early age before the kid understands his own preferences.

So to me, religion is not "brainwashing", just too damn presumptuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies