Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:52 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,294,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
In other words, the OP is twisting things to suit his own needs because he has no clue
I was trying to be kinder than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,605,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Aside from the factoids I presented above, it is clear that the assertion that democrats are smarter than republicans is partially based on the fact that school teachers and college instructors usually vote for democrats because they are not capable of holding real jobs. You know the old saying : Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
Well yeah, this is one of the most as**ole posts I've read to date. Were you home schooled? Ok, if not, how did you do in school? Average, below average, just a complete wreck? Did you learn anything in school? Perhaps you may have learned the alphabet, multiplication, division, basic history. You obviously learned how to read & write, yes? No? Then that goes on your head. If you did, then thank a teacher because w/out them, you'd be a complete useless vegetable.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 PM

241 posts, read 436,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is a spurious conclusion, which cannot safely be drawn from the set of data. The reason we are in so much toruble in this world is because ordinary people, even reasonably well-educated, do not understand the basic principles of logic. They are easily led astray by those would allege that carefully selected facts are proof of a desired conclusion.
Are you talking about the article's conclusion? What do you believe the conclusion is?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,857,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well yeah, this is one of the most as**ole posts I've read to date. Were you home schooled? Ok, if not, how did you do in school? Average, below average, just a complete wreck? Did you learn anything in school? Perhaps you may have learned the alphabet, multiplication, division, basic history. You obviously learned how to read & write, yes? No? Then that goes on your head. If you did, then thank a teacher because w/out them, you'd be a complete useless vegetable.
Rosinant did not make that saying up, you know.

As to the post.
Pretty much every rich person I know is a Republican. The few rich people I know who call themselves liberals, are actually guilt ridden Republicans.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:04 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,746,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Pretty much every rich person I know is a Republican. The few rich people I know who call themselves liberals, are actually guilt ridden Republicans.
Can you go into greater detail about what you mean? I really am curious.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,663,095 times
Quote:
Aside from the factoids I presented above, it is clear that the assertion that democrats are smarter than republicans is partially based on the fact that school teachers and college instructors usually vote for democrats because they are not capable of holding real jobs. You know the old saying : Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.[/

Hey! As a public school teacher I resemble that remark!

But seriously, as you and several others (like TexasPatriot) say in so many words, being "educated" and "intelligent" does not necessarily (and in fact very often doesn't) translate into having good sense. Some of the "smartest" people I have ever known didn't even have a high school education. But life and experience made them teachers of the finest order. On the other hand, I know a few people with PhD's who don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain....but presume to be able to re-arrange other peoples lives thru social experimentation.

Intelligence and wisdom can be very different critters. An intrinsic component of the latter is being able to recognize one's own limitations. Thomas Sowell wrote a great book on this general subject: Vision of the Anointed. ("click on the book" to read some passages of it)

The Vision of the Anointed: Self ... - Google Book Search

Oh well, I always liked this one:

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them.
---George Orwell

I have heard this quote put less elegantly...and I like it better:

There as some ideas so ridiculous that only an intellectual can believe in them. No ordinary man could be such a damn fool..."
--George Orwell

Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,054,549 times
Well now, isn't this a turn around. Prior to the election we had to listen to the constant slams against the republicans; that they're just rich and out of touch.

If knowledge and wealth is the badge of the proud liberal, I'll take wisdom and a modest living anyday. Wisdom is much more valuable.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,746,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Well now, isn't this a turn around. Prior to the election we had to listen to the constant slams against the republicans; that they're just rich and out of touch.

If knowledge and wealth is the badge of the proud liberal, I'll take wisdom and a modest living anyday. Wisdom is much more valuable.
"Wisdom" is a relative notion.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,079,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, that's the latest right-wing talking point, I know. I've read it many times.
I live in California and we are on the verge of a edu-mess.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,054,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Wisdom" is a relative notion.
That's a comfort thought for the wisdom-deprived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies