Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

The Raw Story | DoJ blocking Obama team from docs on torture, wiretapping
Quote:
The team asked to "review classified legal opinions related to secret CIA and National Security Agency programs," but the inquiry has been denied
According to Mukasey, "he is reluctant to give up the documents without permission from the two agencies involved".

Makes you wonder if his request will be honored once he is sworn in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Mukasey is typical of the Bush appointments, arrogant, lying and always practicing that very special brand of Republican nepotism. He should have recused himself from the job since one of the key requirements of the DOJ should have been investigating the TELECOMS complicity in the illegal wiretapping. Of course his SON is the counsel for VERIZON, one of those deepest in the doo-doo if any REAL INVESTIGATION gets underway.

I guess we'll just have to wait until late in the afternoon of the inauguration day to get those files.

golfgod

Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Mukasey is typical of the Bush appointments, arrogant, lying and always practicing that very special brand of Republican nepotism. He should have recused himself from the job since one of the key requirements of the DOJ should have been investigating the TELECOMS complicity in the illegal wiretapping. Of course his SON is the counsel for VERIZON, one of those deepest in the doo-doo if any REAL INVESTIGATION gets underway.

I guess we'll just have to wait until late in the afternoon of the inauguration day to get those files.

golfgod
Interesting, I didn't know this. Off to google a bit I think...

Thanks

Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
I don't see how this is an issue until Jan 20. If they won't fork it over then, that would be a problem.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:16 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't see how this is an issue until Jan 20. If they won't fork it over then, that would be a problem.
Actually, it is not an issue. I understand the messiah wanting to "hit the ground running," but until he takes that oath, and only then, can and will he assume the responsibility the office holds. Remember, he is the President-ELECT, not THE President. Yet.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:18 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The Raw Story | DoJ blocking Obama team from docs on torture, wiretapping

According to Mukasey, "he is reluctant to give up the documents without permission from the two agencies involved".

Makes you wonder if his request will be honored once he is sworn in.
Once he is sworn in, I believe the DoJ will HAVE to comply with his wishes; he will be the President after all. If it's not done then, the DoJ will have big problems - heads will roll.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:23 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Obama and his team have to pass the same time consuming qualification steps to be granted clearance to national top security matters as anyone else. It is a matter of required paperwork which should be more than taken care of in time for him to take over in the Oval office.

In addition, there are lots of rules to be learned as to HOW this classified information has to be handled. I know the White House has been in trouble on more than one occasion for leaving documents on a desk or discussing something before a room has been swept for bugs. So, it's probably more complicated than we realize.

These procedures are in place to protect our country..... they aren't directed at Obama personally.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Sounds reasonable but then they seem to be rather novice at these things ;but will learn with time.I know that even members of congress have limited clearance on many documants except for leadership positions being briefed.They have ben briefed o9n the telecoms roll and its been the sunject of congressional; hearigns as well as suits. The telecoms have admited co-operating with the governamnt as requested.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Some presidential national security objectives have in the past had totals in the teens of the people allowed to view them.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Once he is sworn in, I believe the DoJ will HAVE to comply with his wishes; he will be the President after all. If it's not done then, the DoJ will have big problems - heads will roll.
Do you ever get the feeling that there is some serious paper shredding taking place right now as in enough to supply Times Square this New Years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Obama and his team have to pass the same time consuming qualification steps to be granted clearance to national top security matters as anyone else. It is a matter of required paperwork which should be more than taken care of in time for him to take over in the Oval office.

In addition, there are lots of rules to be learned as to HOW this classified information has to be handled. I know the White House has been in trouble on more than one occasion for leaving documents on a desk or discussing something before a room has been swept for bugs. So, it's probably more complicated than we realize.

These procedures are in place to protect our country..... they aren't directed at Obama personally.
Yes you are absolutely right. To my knowledge it has been one of the most noted things about Obama's transition team that they applied for clearances long before in order to make the transition go smoothly and quickly.

I also realize they don't have to say anything, but considering the climate of our economy, state of world affairs and unrest right here in the good old US of A, one might think it prudent to share at least some of this information prior.

Its no secret that this administration has been even more secretive than the Nixon administration, but at least concerning the issue of torture, I can't imagine how this would be some massive national security problem. Wiretapping, more so, but the whole GITMO thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies