Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,786 times

Advertisements

The shoes thrown at Bush are called the ducati model 271.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/wo...st/21shoe.html
Turkish cobbler amazed by their aerodynamics.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
Why the Corporate Media Ducked the Real Story of Those Flying Shoes | Media and Technology | AlterNet

Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
"Our" troops are baby-killers. It would be better for the country if none of them ever came home. What do you have to say to that?
A real American would not be so hateful toward our brave Men and Woman in uniform. Toward those who are sacrificing so much - and toward their families at home who are sacrificing.

Our Men and Women WILL COME HOME - and to a hero's welcome - as they should.

Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your position - or in the alternative, seek another country that would better suit your anti American feelings.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
The troops are but weapons of their masters. They do , as in any war , the bidding of the Commander in Chief. The grunts in the trenches are not supposed to think , but to do what they are told. Thats why they want em young , and stupid. These wars now are no different than in the past. I know plenty retired officers , that have told me the same.....War is Hell , don't you forget it ! Its not a game on a computer , not is it romantic , brave , or macho........ Once they are on the front lines , its survival , for themselves , and their buddies. They must trust their officers , for right , or wrong . Fairness does not exist , only memories , that will live with them who come home , till the end of their days and nights. They deserve respect , pity , and honor , all at the same time equally.
Until we have a totally professional Military , paid well , and made up of the strongest and brightest , we all need to help the returning troops adjust back into a civilian lifestyle. The vets have been short changed , by the very people who sent them to was in the first place.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Selective attention has been going on for years in mainstream media when casualties get reported in terms of how many americans perished. When something like a tsunami happens, that's morally repugnant language in context of greater humanity. Odd how the value of a life would hold higher premium based on nationality (or national resource!)-- something america itself is <allegedly> against, but a new breed of americans have embraced as righteous.

I'm offended by all media sources that tacitly endorse the attitude. It's my sincerest wish my fellow citizens wake up from that hubris.

My true interpretation of those shoes--- even american response... repression of truth has ugly consequence. People will either listen or the volume will ratchet up to intolerable levels escalating to violence. This is universal truth regardless of affiliations.

Embarrassment? I could care less about Bush saving face. I could care less about spin doctors too. I do care about the truth, and the reality our troops face daily. Abusing them is a disgrace no matter who's doing the abuse, but it's more damning when it's top down. Immature & pacifists can deeply hurt their feelings with ignorance at a time when they're most psychologically vulnerable, but incompetent/ corrupt leadership robs them of their lives.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:52 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The troops are but weapons of their masters. They do , as in any war , the bidding of the Commander in Chief. The grunts in the trenches are not supposed to think , but to do what they are told. Thats why they want em young , and stupid. These wars now are no different than in the past. I know plenty retired officers , that have told me the same.....War is Hell , don't you forget it ! Its not a game on a computer , not is it romantic , brave , or macho........ Once they are on the front lines , its survival , for themselves , and their buddies. They must trust their officers , for right , or wrong . Fairness does not exist , only memories , that will live with them who come home , till the end of their days and nights. They deserve respect , pity , and honor , all at the same time equally.
No. I do not respect or honor or pity people of such low self-esteem or low morals that they let themselves be turned into hired killers or cannon fodder for the government's lies.

I do pity those who aren't bright enough to realize how completely they're being played for suckers. Just like I might pity someone who commits suicide. But respect and honor it? No way.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:23 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Anyone who has the audacity to claim our troops are nothing but "baby killers, and that they should not come home, are not, IMO, Americans.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 AM

8 posts, read 13,173 times
Well if I had known that my thread about the shoes thrown at President Bush would have spiraled into the depths of oblivion and the resulting topic of discussion would be the troops, I never would have typed it. SHAME ON ME!!! The troops are largely doing what they are ordered to do, mostly by men and women who sit on their collective asses in plush offices on Capitol Hill, and most of whom, never served their country. We have to support our troops no matter what. If someone is to be blamed, it's us for voting the idiots in government in. Perhaps the founding fathersf this great country have rolled over in their graves as to what the country is doing, but we need to start holding these politicians responsible for their mess. After their term of office is done, well they just go home or move into another public service job with not a care about the mess they made. If I go to work and mess something up, you can bet, I'll be held responsible. The same should go for our elected officials!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
And with that, this thread has run its course. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies