Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well....I guess there's one good reason why "we" aren't eating lion. The price!!
It is on sale - $99/lb - cheaper than fish eggs.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
As people have said, some of this stuff just doesn't taste good. Just like why friends who fish wind up throwing some of what they catch back. It's technically edible, but tastes bad.

That and the economy of raising a bunch of these animals just doesn't work, no matter what they taste like.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Lion Meat - Buy Lion Meat - Lion Bone In Rib Eye Steaks - Lion Bone In Loin Chops (http://brentwoodtradinggroup.com/limelire.html - broken link)

Old 12-18-2008, 01:27 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Lion Meat - Buy Lion Meat - Lion Bone In Rib Eye Steaks - Lion Bone In Loin Chops (http://brentwoodtradinggroup.com/limelire.html - broken link)
I can't see it being good imo.....I'd imagine you'd have to lick another cat's butt to get the taste out of your mouth from the meat.ick! WE NEED A GAG EMOTE ON HERE MODS

Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Why stop there? How about eating humans? Maybe we taste good.

Already been done. Soylent Green.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Why can't we eat animals like lions and tigers and zebra's and hippo's and koala bears? I don't get why it is so taboo to eat such creatures, yet I can eat a cow's ass any day of the week. Why not grow these animals in farms just like we do with cows and eat them? I am sure they taste great. Especially koala bears.

So start a farm. Get a herd of 100,000 hippos.

It used to be illegal to eat buffalo. Now, in parts of western Nebraska, we have huge herds of them where people own ranches with them. I imagine the government would allow you to slaughter some for food if you maintained a population of them that large.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So start a farm. Get a herd of 100,000 hippos.

It used to be illegal to eat buffalo. Now, in parts of western Nebraska, we have huge herds of them where people own ranches with them. I imagine the government would allow you to slaughter some for food if you maintained a population of them that large.
Hell,we have buffalo(Bison for the picky folks out there)
out the yang here and my kid and I even fooled with them ourselves a couple of years ago.They are cheaper than cows to buy at the auction barn,but to tough to mess with imo(walk through a 7 strand barbed wire fence like it was a mistake even being there) and the worst black angus steak out there still beats them seven ways to sunday in the skillet.They are supposed to be higher in protein and healthier tho',but we all gotta die from something ain't we? Might as well be with a fresh new york strip in our belly and A1 sauce spilled all over the front of our shirts and chin(s).

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Why stop there? How about eating humans? Maybe we taste good.
Folks in New Guinea once swore human beings tasted much like pork....Fiji, also, in past centuries was reputed throughout the Pacific as a place NOT to become shipwrecked, since one of the most sought-after items on the menu was "Foreign sailor stew"...mmmmmmm!!!

The Donner Party, also resorted to cannibalism when marooned in the Sierra Nevada en route to California in the winter of 1846-47. They ate only PREVIOUSLY dead members of the group.....the Donners are not to be confused with "the DAUMER Party"...the notorious Jeffrey, who made it a practice to consume some of his unwilling young 'guests'

Me? I don't think it would be my 'thing'. I even get creeped out when someone tells me, "you have excellent taste"...

Old 12-18-2008, 05:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Why can't we eat animals like lions and tigers and zebra's and hippo's and koala bears? I don't get why it is so taboo to eat such creatures, yet I can eat a cow's ass any day of the week. Why not grow these animals in farms just like we do with cows and eat them? I am sure they taste great. Especially koala bears.
Quote:
If it has fur or feathers, but not both, it can be safely eaten. -- An old hunter's axiom
There are a lot of different species, even in the US, that could be eaten regularly by people that are not. The reason they are not, at least in the US, is because they are not domesticated. According to the FDA, only domesticated animals may be sold for consumption. Which is why you don't see moose, bear, wolf, beaver, or a wide variety of otherwise perfectly edible critters being sold in US grocery stores.

Note: You can buy Caribou in the US, but it isn't US Caribou. There are no domesticated Caribou in the US, but Sweden does have domesticated Caribou, and you can by Swedish Caribou in US gourmet or specialty stores.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-18-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 05:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The reason they are not, at least in the US, is because they are not domesticated. According to the FDA, only domesticated animals may be sold for consumption.
Where is that written? The only thing that the FDA requires is that firms and processors of wild game are certified to do so, otherwise Exotic Meats USA has a problem because I don't know of anyone raising domestic black bears for consumption.

Exotic Meats (http://exoticmeats.com/catdescmain.aspx?f=42 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies