Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,074,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Coming out of the ice age, the earth gets warmer. So of corse it is warming, is it going to kill us all? No way!
Yes some of the 1.33° increase in global temperature over the last 100 years is due to natural cycles of the Earth. Most however is from anthropogenic sources. Is it going to kill us all? No not all, but it will be very unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,197,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm glad you're "pretty sure". So it will be "pretty easy" for you to Google that organization up and present it here.
The American Physical Society.

Last edited by ainulinale; 12-28-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Mistaken name.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,074,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch
I'm glad you're "pretty sure". So it will be "pretty easy" for you to Google that organization up and present it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
The American Physicists Association.
As far as I can find no such organization exists. However there is an American Physical Society, which is the professional society for physicists, and here is their statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS
Emissions of greenhouse gases from human activities are changing the atmosphere in ways that affect the Earth's climate. Greenhouse gases include carbon dioxide as well as methane, nitrous oxide and other gases. They are emitted from fossil fuel combustion and a range of industrial and agricultural processes.

The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth’s physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now.

Because the complexity of the climate makes accurate prediction difficult, the APS urges an enhanced effort to understand the effects of human activity on the Earth’s climate, and to provide the technological options for meeting the climate challenge in the near and longer terms. The APS also urges governments, universities, national laboratories and its membership to support policies and actions that will reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM

25,891 posts, read 18,912,808 times
Quote:
Incorrect statement. The rest of the argument fails due to a faulty premise.
Okay, assume that it is a faulty premise. That being the case, global climactic change shouldn't make anyone bat an eye, should it? There shouldn’t even be a ‘global warming movement’ because we should all expect the average temperatures to change and vary over time dramatically (as indeed they have). Tell me how what is happening now is any different than what has happened in the recent or distant past? I don’t deny that there could be global warming. But, what I’m saying is, so what? It’s nothing that hasn’t happened hundreds or thousands of times before.

In REAL science, a hypothesis is posed. At this point, it’s called a theory. Then, based on legitimate EMPIRICAL evidence, conclusions are made. In pseudo-science (GW), conclusions are reached first. There is no EMPIRICAL evidence (computer modeling is NOT empirical evidence). Theory and hypothesis is called fact. Wild ‘sky is falling’ statements are made. Weak, anecdotal, or flawed evidence is offered and hyped to legitimize the ‘facts.’ The public is bilked. And we all go on a crusade. Sound familiar? But then, somewhere along the line, the bubble is burst when legitimate scientific methods are used to show the whole thing to be a sham.

What do you want to bet that in fifteen years (assuming we haven’t blown each other into oblivion by then) we will all be having ‘global cooling’ jammed down our throats and picking at our pocketbooks? Outrageous? Not really, it’s happened before—about thirty-five years ago. I propose that all of the pseudo scientists, unscrupulous corporate types, and Johnny on the Spot politicians who are ready to capitalize on the panic, be awarded The Chicken Little Award. They deserve it.

As I said before: Global Warming, the alchemy of the twenty-first century. It's a new religion.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:24 PM

Besides... one naturally occurring geologic or cosmic event can almost instantly change our world as we know it. What are you going to do to stop the next earthquake, volcano, meteorite crash, magnetic pole shift, blah blah blah? Maybe you could conjure up an international panel that deals with that? … since it can obviously change our world much faster than climate change. Maybe if we try really hard, we can alter the natural order of the entire universe.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,997,691 times
Quote:
What are you going to do to stop the next earthquake, volcano, meteorite crash, magnetic pole shift, blah blah blah?
Don't forget - Solar flares.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,197,287 times
Quote:
As far as I can find no such organization exists. However there is an American Physical Society, which is the professional society for physicists, and here is their statement:
The APS is the American Physical Society, and that is no longer their statement on global warming. This article shows that the APS has opened the debate on global warming.

American Physical Society Opens Debate on Global Warming | NewsBusters.org

Old 12-28-2008, 02:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,366,879 times
just my persoal opinion based on what I've seen and read, I believe this is a cycle, not to say it isn't caused by us but i think it is how the earth deals with our impact, I don't think it's the end of the earth, it's just the way our affects are countered and I believe it will take care of itself and that we can do nothing to change it. The earths climate has always cycled, it just now we have people who can study it and form an opinion on whats happening.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't forget - Solar flares.
Yeah, those too.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,883,726 times

Good news.
And stop your scaremonging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies