Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 11:50 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
What if you're wrong?
Well, at .5% degree change per decade, I figure if I'm wrong in about 200 hundred years there will be enough of a change that family I can't even begin to think of will have to figure out what to grow in their areas and how to grow it. Kind of like Greenland had to many thousands of years ago when it went from being "green" land, thus the name, to an ice cap. Which by the way, is cooling, not warming.

What if you're wrong though? What if it is all cyclical and the planet is doing the same thing it's been doing for millions of years and some dumb scientist finds a way to 'fix' the global warming problem and winds up actually screwing it up and throws our planet of a natural cycle that spins the weather out of control? Have you seen some of the things they're trying to do? Sending toxic chemicals into the atmosphere to help 'cool' the planet. That's great, poison us all. I can't find that link, but I'm looking for it.

Or how about the law passed to ban incandescent bulbs in favor of flourescents? You know, the ones full of mercury which is very poisonous. And they're getting tossed into land fills all over the country, breaking and the mercury is flowing into our water sources and our land. Yep, that was a great idea there!

Shining a light on fluorescent bulbs - Environment- msnbc.com

How about the fact that 31,000 scientists have rejected the global warming idea, and there are more every day that are saying that the more we learn the more we realize it's just not real.

31,000 scientists reject 'global warming' agenda

U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page

And they say CO2 is the cause of global warming? How about the fact that scientists actually agree that CO2 is a necessary part of life on the planet and essential to plant growth. And what about all the scientists that are now saying we're about to go into a deep cooling phase?

There's just too much info out there that's contrary to what the global warming alarmist have been preaching. And let's face it, if we were looking death in the eye because of global warming, do you think the people that are spouting it and making a fortune off of it would still be jetting around the country and being chauffered in limos and Hummers? Would they still be living in massive mansions that use more electricity in a single week than most of us do in a year?

Again, like I said, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Well, at .5% degree change per decade, I figure if I'm wrong in about 200 hundred years there will be enough of a change that family I can't even begin to think of will have to figure out what to grow in their areas and how to grow it. Kind of like Greenland had to many thousands of years ago when it went from being "green" land, thus the name, to an ice cap. Which by the way, is cooling, not warming.

What if you're wrong though? What if it is all cyclical and the planet is doing the same thing it's been doing for millions of years and some dumb scientist finds a way to 'fix' the global warming problem and winds up actually screwing it up and throws our planet of a natural cycle that spins the weather out of control? Have you seen some of the things they're trying to do? Sending toxic chemicals into the atmosphere to help 'cool' the planet. That's great, poison us all. I can't find that link, but I'm looking for it.

Or how about the law passed to ban incandescent bulbs in favor of flourescents? You know, the ones full of mercury which is very poisonous. And they're getting tossed into land fills all over the country, breaking and the mercury is flowing into our water sources and our land. Yep, that was a great idea there!

How about the fact that 31,000 scientists have rejected the global warming idea, and there are more every day that are saying that the more we learn the more we realize it's just not real.

And they say CO2 is the cause of global warming? How about the fact that scientists actually agree that CO2 is a necessary part of life on the planet and essential to plant growth. And what about all the scientists that are now saying we're about to go into a deep cooling phase?

There's just too much info out there that's contrary to what the global warming alarmist have been preaching. And let's face it, if we were looking death in the eye because of global warming, do you think the people that are spouting it and making a fortune off of it would still be jetting around the country and being chauffered in limos and Hummers? Would they still be living in massive mansions that use more electricity in a single week than most of us do in a year?

Excellent post.

Let's not forget the "cost" to implement the policies of the GW-alarmist. Costs that will cripple economies, make a lot of Goreacle minions very rich, and result in hundreds of millions without the necessary energy sources to help them survive.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
http://www.ese.iitb.ac.in/~icaer2007...05_TS5%20B.pdf

Quote:
• Out of 6 billion people 2 billion are not connected
to electric grid
• 1 billion have no source of electricity
• 90% of above population living without electricity
are in developing countries
Tell me, what will happen when these billions clamour for electricity? Would you deny them a better life, the kind of life you have?

Do you think windmills will generate enough power to light them up?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

If I'm wrong? We'll have an economy based upon renewable resources like wind, solar, geothermal and water power. We'll have many fewer people with respiratory diseases, we will not have problems in the Middle East because they will not have enough money to fund terrorism and we won't need to be over there for the oil so our military can be cut. If we do it right we'll have a lot of high tech manufacturing jobs in the United States leading the way in the latest high tech industry and the economy will have grown at substantially higher rates. Sound awful doesn't it?

Quote:

You of course know that the major sources of mercury in the environment are coal fired power plants. So while you're worried that CFL might release mercury to the atmosphere, those incandescent bulbs you burn cause tons of mercury to be released for sure.

Quote:

This is fraud. All of the major scientific organization have endorsed the validity of global warming.

AAAS Board of Directors Statement on Climate Change: "The scientific evidence is clear," the AAAS Board says in a new statement. "Global climate change caused by human activities...is a growing threat to society." The statement was approved on 9 December 2006 and released on 18 February at the AAAS Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
Quote:

Some CO2 is good. Too much is bad. It's like water: you want enough to drink and bathe in but don't want so much that you drown.

Quote:

Please show one reputable scientific association that has rejected global warming.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
http://www.ese.iitb.ac.in/~icaer2007/Latest%20PPT%20File/15_205_TS5%20B.pdf

Tell me, what will happen when these billions clamour for electricity? Would you deny them a better life, the kind of life you have?

Do you think windmills will generate enough power to light them up?
Renewable resources have an order of magnitude more energy available than than is needed for a 1st world lifestyle. So to answer your simplistic question yes there is more than enough solar, wind, geothermal, and water power to provide all 6 Billion people with the energy needs of a 1st world existence.

On the opposite side of that coin, there is not the capacity for the atmosphere to absorb the emission of an additional 5 Billion people trying to achieve a first world lifestyle. A Green future is the only sustainable future for the world's population.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times
Quote:
Please show one reputable scientific association that has rejected global warming.
There aren't too people who would argue that global warming isn't happening (although there is evidence that the earth has been cooling for the past 10 years). The argument by people such as myself, is that there is no man-made global warming. There is no evidence that man has caused this. The earth is coming out of a miniature ice-age, so rising temps over the past 100 years should not be surprising. Also, CO2 is proven to catalyze plant growth and increase their defensive strength--it's hardly a "pollutant."
BTW, scientists who doubt man-made global warming are rarely given research grants to study global warming.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
There aren't too people who would argue that global warming isn't happening (although there is evidence that the earth has been cooling for the past 10 years). The argument by people such as myself, is that there is no man-made global warming. There is no evidence that man has caused this. The earth is coming out of a miniature ice-age, so rising temps over the past 100 years should not be surprising. Also, CO2 is proven to catalyze plant growth and increase their defensive strength--it's hardly a "pollutant."
BTW, scientists who doubt man-made global warming are rarely given research grants to study global warming.
I asked for a single reputable scientific organization that supports this view. AAAS, NAS, et al?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,344,266 times
Coming out of the ice age, the earth gets warmer. So of corse it is warming, is it going to kill us all? No way!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times
Quote:
I asked for a single reputable scientific organization that supports this view. AAAS, NAS, et al?
Um, you didn't ask me, nor do I care. Science truth should not be based on consensus. But, I'm pretty sure there are reputable scientific organizations that are open to the possibility that man-made global warming is not occurring.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Um, you didn't ask me, nor do I care. Science truth should not be based on consensus. But, I'm pretty sure there are reputable scientific organizations that are open to the possibility that man-made global warming is not occurring.
I'm glad you're "pretty sure". So it will be "pretty easy" for you to Google that organization up and present it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies