Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Sometimes they like "judges who legislate from the bench," sometimes they dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Can we assume the OP has had their license revoked (again)
I have never had my license revoked.ALOT of people do drive without a valid license & thats wrong.I just hate the greedyness of the ca dmv & politician law makers.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 3,692 times
do we really need a license,type in driver license vs right to travel and take a gander at this .Then read the 5th amendment look at the word LIBERTY

Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 3,692 times
when will american people WAKE UP and see how there rights are beening striped away

Old 04-06-2010, 07:10 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In the higher level law courses I took in college, all of our professors (some were former judges who are very conservative) engraved the "right to travel" into our brains. It was even in the textbooks we used. I don't really agree with it, but there were many cases where the Supreme Court ruled that U.S. citizens do have a right to drive.

I'm not really up for debate on it since I personally think driving should be a privilege...I don't want some kook on the road. Cars are weapons.

Anyway this should probably be in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.
My recollection of the "right to travel" in constitutional law was that states could not place a residency duration requirement on the ability to collect welfare. Meaning you could move to a new state, and collect welfare that day, rather than having to wait 90 days or whatever. Seems it doesn't apply to instate tuition however.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Isn't there something in the Constitution about "all other rights not enumerated herein?

There can be a "right to Travel" but the travel does not have to include a license to drive a car. A person can exercise his travel right by walking to the nearest bus station and buying a ticket.

This country, and several others, tried private roads in the past. Most owners would not build a road unless the government gave them a monopoly. Once they had the monopoly they somehow didn't bother to maintain any part of the road but the toll stations. We replaced private roads with public roads because they worked better for everyone. In any case no business man would build a road along a river unless he knew he would have the only road and not be competing with another private road on the other side. Same reasoning applies to canals and railroads.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times
What does travelling have to do with driving exactly? Are people suggesting that an automobile is the only means of transportation? Get off your lazy a$$ and peddle a bike if you need to get around town. Otherwise, take a train, plane, cab, boat, horse and buggy, whatever.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
You have the right to WALK to anywhere you want.
If it envolves a motor vechicle then NO.
Or you have the right to BIKE anywhere you want.
Unless you can get somewhere without using a road and can drive over open spaces with your truck I think your screwed.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Dude, if you want to travel, take a bus, train, plane, horse, walk. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,990 times
You do have a right to travel, you can walk, ride a bike, take the bus etc. You don't however have a right to a drivers license. That is a privileged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies