Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times

Advertisements

All cities are and vote liberal. Its what happens when large populations realize they can be selfish pigs and vote to serve themselves. That is why our fore fathers settled on a republic rather than majority rule, to keep the piggish liberals from taxing the hardworking folk blind while they lay around on section 8 and food stamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Interesting, and hardly surprising, that only one city in the top ten is located in the south.

Notice as well, that progressive cities such as SF, Seattle, and Portland all rated high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The Chinook shut down in 2004 or 05 -- when I was living in Colorado Springs. Sad but true. .
Bummer. That place kept me sane when I was stationed at Ft. Carson in the 1960s...

Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
All cities are and vote liberal. Its what happens when large populations realize they can be selfish pigs and vote to serve themselves. That is why our fore fathers settled on a republic rather than majority rule, to keep the piggish liberals from taxing the hardworking folk blind while they lay around on section 8 and food stamps
Damn, I knew all of the reading that I do is a waste of time. I should just replace that leisure time with work. Then I wouldn't have to rely on the government to pay for my libraries, or much else for that matter.
Seriously though, how the sam hell did you make that leap? Conservatives read, liberals read. Since when did the Republican party become a bastion of anti-intellecturalism? No wonder that so many people are disgusted with it, there is a big difference between conservatism and an affront to the advancement of knowledge.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Does anybody think the internet is helping to kill off libraries? I buy books relating to particular interests, but haven't been to a library in years. If I want information on a particular subject or event, its only a mouse click away.
I wonder about newspapers declining. My local paper is expanding and I'd be lost without reading it daily. Many big city newspapers are going under and I have to think its from poor management as well as just not serving its readers fairly and objectively. That's what helped give cable news the same break over network news.
Let's hope that as both major parties continue to dumb down their constituents new parties will come along and offer educated and enlightened voters something more.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Book Sale Finder

Wow, what a useful site! Thanks. I've sent the link on to fam and friends

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-03-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: deleted source posting reference, poster was banned

Old 12-31-2008, 04:44 AM

37,217 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Book Sale Finder

Thanks for posting the link. I stumbled across it a few years ago when I was still selling on ebay. My wife and I have been members of FOL here for thirty years and bought and donated literally thousands of books. I have a special reinforced canvas bag to haul them. I have bought books there for at least a half dozen children who have all become avid readers.

Our little sale here has @ 20,000 books on hand at a normal quarterly sale. Some of the sales on this website display more than 100,000 volumes.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: deleted the source posting reference, poster was banned

Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Bummer. That place kept me sane when I was stationed at Ft. Carson in the 1960s...
I was in the Colorado Springs because I was stationed at Fort Carson too -- forty years later. The original owners were still running the place, but they decided to just close it down rather than try to turn it over to anyone else. I guess they just couldn't compete with B&N, Borders and Amazon. It was a shame. It was one of the first places I went to when I got to Colorado Springs. I read about how important the store was to independent booksellers in the West.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
First insightful post in this thread.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Damn, I knew all of the reading that I do is a waste of time.
Apparently you have a flair for the obvious.

Quote:
Then I wouldn't have to rely on the government to pay for my libraries, or much else for that matter.
Relying on the government to pay (for anything) is what liberals do. The taxes these governments collect generally come from conservatives who haven't figured it out yet that their taxes go to support the ne'er-do-wells.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Book Sale Finder

Tattered Cover sells new books, not used; an amazing place, a temple unto books.

I've been to the used book sales at the Friends of Pikes Peak Library and most of what I see I find undesirable; paperback romances, old cook books, ancient encyclopedias - stuff that few people want, discards.

I do make good use of the library system instead of buying new books. I'll check out your link, thanks for sending it.

s/mike

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-03-2009 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: deleted sourced posting, poster was banned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies