Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Um I've lived in Italy for 16 months,visited Spain, France,Greece, Germany, and Hungary, they described me as black and I discribe them as white. While in Germany, Germans told me areas of East Germany I should stay away from because of the color of my skin.
Black, white and brown can be used as descripters, but black or white or brown are not monolithic cultures onto themselves. The sins of Idi Amin should not be placed on your shoulders because you are both 'black', just as the sins of Hitler should not be placed on my shoulders because we are both 'white'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Sorry...they don't represent all black people. Did someone tell you that they did? Did someone ever tell you that they don't agree with what they say?

Several people have said it on this thread, and believe it or not - not all black people think alike.

Sometimes in reading threads here on CD some of you think its true, but really - it's not!
7? 7 naysayers is nothing compared to the amount of backing they have.

I said that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton believe they represent the black community. For you to deny that tell me who the hell do they think they are representing then?

If they did not have so much power would the term AA be considered PC usage? Would the Jena 6 story had blown up as much as it did? What about the incident with the radio dj and the nappy headed hoes would that have made as much attention without them? No, they are considered as spokesmen by a large sum of people.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
african american/ afro american an american of african descnent, also it can also refer to african descendant people in the americas(canada, north america, south america, caribbean etc

afro-cuban, afro-peru, afro-boricua, afro-brasil need i say more?

asian american- american of asian descent

native american-this is self explanatory, natives of the americas

Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
7? 7 naysayers is nothing compared to the amount of backing they have.

I said that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton believe they represent the black community. For you to deny that tell me who the hell do they think they are representing then?

If they did not have so much power would the term AA be considered PC usage? Would the Jena 6 story had blown up as much as it did? What about the incident with the radio dj and the nappy headed hoes would that have made as much attention without them? No, they are considered as spokesmen by a large sum of people.
First of all - you said this:

Quote:
It sickens me that blacks allow douche bags like Jesse and Al to represent them.
Which is not the same as what I bolded above.

Secondly, if 7 naysayers on this board is nothing compared to the amout of support you perseive they have, then that means that all black people don't follow them blindly using the same logic.

Lastly, there is a thing called free speech that allows them to do all the talking they want to. Just like any other celebrity taking up a cause, they are welcome to do the same. It still doesn't mean that all blacks feel that they represent them.

Have you ever spoken to a black person about it? Maybe if you did that, instead of taking Rush Limbaugh's word for it, you would have a better insight on the subject.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
You missed this...
Quote:
Jesse and Al seem to think they represent the blacks and nobody disputes this. Just look at the amount of supporters and power they have.
Quote:
First of all - you said this:

Which is not the same as what I bolded above.

Secondly, if 7 naysayers on this board is nothing compared to the amout of support you perseive they have, then that means that all black people don't follow them blindly using the same logic.

Lastly, there is a thing called free speech that allows them to do all the talking they want to. Just like any other celebrity taking up a cause, they are welcome to do the same. It still doesn't mean that all blacks feel that they represent them.

Have you ever spoken to a black person about it? Maybe if you did that, instead of taking Rush Limbaugh's word for it, you would have a better insight on the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
african american/ afro american an american of african descnent, also it can also refer to african descendant people in the americas(canada, north america, south america, caribbean etc

afro-cuban, afro-peru, afro-boricua, afro-brasil need i say more?

asian american- american of asian descent

native american-this is self explanatory, natives of the americas
Caribbean- West Indian
Canada-Black Canadian
America-Black American
South America- Each country uses different terms

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
You missed this...

Caribbean- West Indian
Canada-Black Canadian
America-Black American
South America- Each country uses different terms
And you missed this...

Quote:
That is wrong - Examples are given on this very thread that they don't represent everyone, so there are people who dispute it whether you choose to believe it or not.

However, as so spoken on CD many times, they have their right to free speech, so they can say what they want. It doesn't mean that people blindly follow them.
Hey - I found a black journalist who critized Jackson. According to you she must not be real, but if you choose to read her bio, you will realize that she is a journalist:

Najee Ali's Open Letter to Jesse Jackson

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
If I were to go to a Black neighborhood with a sign that read " [MOD CUT] Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton" I would get my [MOD CUT] jumped or worst be murdered. Do you deny this ?
Yes I do. Why would you think otherwise? Have you been influenced by media reports that insist that all black people are murderous brutes who will kill for no obvious reason?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-04-2009 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Jesse and Al seem to think they represent the blacks and nobody disputes this. Just look at the amount of supporters and power they have.
I just disputed this. Have you checked your theories with Jesse, Al or any actual black people?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
An example would be Larry Elder who said in his book "The 10 Things You Can't Say In America" that he got alot of hate mail from Blacks when on his radio show he referred to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as race hustlers.

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bad comparison because there are only between 5,000 to 8,000 Klan members in the entire United States, a country that has almost 200 million White people. So extremely well below 1% of the American White population are KKK cheerleaders. I doubt that only a mere 8,000 Blacks in the entire United States have a positive image of Sharpton and Jackson.

I doubt that a White radio talk show host would get alot of hate mail from White people if he or she bashed the Klan on air. The number of Black people who are Sharpton and Jackson sympathizers is definitely alot higher than the number of White people are KKK sympathizers.
The fact that you compared Sharpton and Jackson to the KKK destroys any credibility your argument may have ever had................

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I just disputed this. Have you checked your theories with Jesse, Al or any actual black people?
I'm sure they haven't. Maybe its the fear that their misinformation & generalities will be proven incorrect.

It's much easier to believe only what you hear without research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies