Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Lieberman another example of what happens if you are too moderate for the party of tolerance!
Exactly!

I was a lifelong Democrat and started voting Republican because of the gay issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Realistically, 'the gay issues' are irrelevant. I can tell you exactly what will happen with those in the future - in about 25 years, gay marriage will be legal in the United States, for the simple reason that it has overwhelming support among people under 30. Attitudes have been liberalizing for a long, long time - since the 1950's, really. Voting on that issue is simply pointless, because you can't stop macrohistory.

Now, some issued can be voted on and changed. But "gay issues?" Not one of them. Not over time.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Exactly!

I was a lifelong Democrat and started voting Republican because of the gay issues.
You were a lifelong democrat? Yet you invite your kids and their friends into your home and show them political videos on why liberals are the root of all evil?

Lifelong democrats voting republican because of "gay issues" wouldn't do this.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
You were a lifelong democrat? Yet you invite your kids and their friends into your home and show them political videos on why liberals are the root of all evil?

Lifelong democrats voting republican because of "gay issues" wouldn't do this.
This one did and does. Also I show teens the other side since only one side of an issue is promoted while silencing the opposing views and true facts. Teens like hearing both sides and making up their own mind instead of having it made up for them. Real freedom of information and freedom of speech is great!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
This one did and does. Also I show teens the other side since only one side of an issue is promoted while silencing the opposing views and true facts. Teens like hearing both sides and making up their own mind instead of having it made up for them. Real freedom of information and freedom of speech is great!
Funny, I remember you posting a political video and described it as if it were the only one you show your kids (in your words, look it up) ... of course, it was bashing liberals. Actually, it had nothing to do with these 'gay issues' you speak of. And nowhere on that thread did you say you show them both sides.

Please post us the video you show these teenagers that bashes on conservatives so they can "make up their own mind."

Old 08-14-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Funny, I remember you posting a political video and described it as if it were the only one you show your kids (in your words, look it up) ... of course, it was bashing liberals. Actually, it had nothing to do with these 'gay issues' you speak of. And nowhere on that thread did you say you show them both sides.

Please post us the video you show these teenagers that bashes on conservatives so they can "make up their own mind."

Well Jeremy we would have to start another thread or get marks for being off topic. Back to: Why did the southern states vote for Bush? I never liked Bush but I could no longer vote for a Democrat because of social issues I am totally against.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Realistically, 'the gay issues' are irrelevant. I can tell you exactly what will happen with those in the future - in about 25 years, gay marriage will be legal in the United States, for the simple reason that it has overwhelming support among people under 30. Attitudes have been liberalizing for a long, long time - since the 1950's, really. Voting on that issue is simply pointless, because you can't stop macrohistory.

Now, some issued can be voted on and changed. But "gay issues?" Not one of them. Not over time.
Very true, and in the meantime some people are trying to convince us that our country is getting more Conservative...

Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Very true, and in the meantime some people are trying to convince us that our country is getting more Conservative...
Well, we have two things merging here as a single point of view, perhaps inaccurately. Young folks are clearly more supportive of gay rights, the polling validates that. It could mean the legalization of gay marriage, but these folks in large numbers could evolve away from that point of view as they age.

My point of view is that the specific rights they seek, such as being covered in health insurance policies as a partner, property rights as a surviving partner and adoption, will become commonplace and accepted by society. I think marriage as an institution will always be reserved for the current relationships, with gay folks given an alternative process providing much of the same rights and obligations, but not all (don't know which would be excluded, Social Security Survivor Benefits may be an example).

Remember, the vast majority of adults today grew up in a very drug open culture, yet most still favor keeping drugs illegal. So just because a young person supports one thing, doesn't mean they retain that point of view over the long term.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
It's not only because of the gay marriage question, and that's really only a small part of one larger issue. The south tends to be more supportive of the military and national defense, does not want large government and high taxes (although that's all relative right now) and tends to be more conservative on social questions in general, not only gay marriage. You also have to factor in the influence that John Kerry had on voters in the south. He did not seem to be guided by any principle other than being elected, and that lack of compass in itself goes against the more traditional values in the south.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's not only because of the gay marriage question, and that's really only a small part of one larger issue. The south tends to be more supportive of the military and national defense, does not want large government and high taxes (although that's all relative right now) and tends to be more conservative on social questions in general, not only gay marriage. You also have to factor in the influence that John Kerry had on voters in the south. He did not seem to be guided by any principle other than being elected, and that lack of compass in itself goes against the more traditional values in the south.
The Kerry observation probably was a key in costing him any more midwest states, I think the south has enough Christian Conservative influence that Bush gets a head start out of the gate against any Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies