Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm a Christian and I am very much into science. I think science and the bible work well together in many cases. I watch the science channels all the time--they're my favorite. But, the theory of evolution is just that, a theory. For me, it's not that it's controversial, it's just silly. Man didn't just happen to come along as if some freak accident, he was created--and in the image of God.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Just a question. if the bible was altereed by human hands...how can you know which is God's word and which is not?
Read the original Hebrew or Greek texts. SO much was mistranslated when it was translated into English (they seriously threw in words that they thought would fit). I would suggest either going to a different country or searching online for a scholar who has re-translated the bible to fix the text that were wrongly translated. Or you can learn Hebrew.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Well, I'm a Christian and I am very much into science. I think science and the bible work well together in many cases. I watch the science channels all the time--they're my favorite. But, the theory of evolution is just that, a theory. For me, it's not that it's controversial, it's just silly. Man didn't just happen to come along as if some freak accident, he was created--and in the image of God.
Thats pretty good. Same here though im not a christian so we differ about the man created in the image of God thing For us man is not created in God's image. God is unto Himself and He is unlike his Creation

Old 01-17-2009, 08:24 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Evolution is controversial for the same reason that the heliocentric solar system was controversial -- it undermines the "special" and "chosen" qualities on which some religious ideals have been built.

The crime of Galileo was in pointing out that Earth is no place special at all. It is just another planet orbiting around an unextraordinary star in an out of the way corner of a garden variety galaxy that has hundreds of billions of other galaxies floating all around it. The tumbled down ruins of a single forgotten hovel somewhere are more significant to the surface of the earth than the earth itself is to the universe.

The crime of Darwin was to reveal the same thing about humans. We are not a special species at all. We are only one of billions of species. We were not the first to get here, nor will we be the last to leave. We are just another transitional form, no more glorious in natural terms than bees or saber-toothed tigers. Worse yet, we are the way we are only because of the entirely natural forces that shaped us over time. There was no hand of anything that ever needed to direct or guide any part of it.

How then to believe that of all the vast complexity of the universe, some random and completely inconsequntial and temporary beings momentarily existing on the surface of one insignifcant and itself transitory planet should come to the attention of, or be of any special concern to, any grand and universal deity that might exist becomes the problem, as without that special status and recognition, some religions fall to pieces.

This is where the controversy comes from. From making the underlying, bedrock doctrine and assumptions of some religions look...well, kind of silly. The monied and other vested interests in religion will strive ardently to avoid that...by whatever means they can muster...

Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Read the original Hebrew or Greek texts. SO much was mistranslated when it was translated into English (they seriously threw in words that they thought would fit). I would suggest either going to a different country or searching online for a scholar who has re-translated the bible to fix the text that were wrongly translated. Or you can learn Hebrew.
So how do we know the Hebrew or Greek versions are "pure"? It was still written down with a human, fallible hand.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why is the theory of evolution so controversial??
1) People who take all of the Bible literally believe that anything other than the literal interpretation is blasphemous. Since the Bible says that the Earth was created in six days, that is the truth in their eyes.

2) A lot of religious people who aren't Bible literalists don't believe in Evolution (or are at least uncomfortable with it) because they feel that it lowers people down to basic animals. They usually forget that animals are a lot more complex and intelligent than we often give them credit for (although some animal lovers give them too much credit; no, your dog doesn't understand 99% of what you say) and they often say things like "Evolution means that we are no better than monkeys". They are missing the point. Evolutions means that we are better than monkeys and not only that, but that we will become even better in the future.

3) Basic misunderstanding of the theory, how it occurs, and evidence to back it up. A lot of schools don't go too indepth on how Evolution takes place and people don't really understand the scientific use of the word "theory" so they assume it means something along the lines of "well, I guess this seems likely".

Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
So how do we know the Hebrew or Greek versions are "pure"? It was still written down with a human, fallible hand.
They are divinely inspired by God to write the books of the bible. I guess it's just a matter of faith. If you don't believe they were inspired to write the bible then whatever I might say has no basis since it was written down by man. I like to say, "created by God, recorded by man."

Snazzy.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Just a question. if the bible was altereed by human hands...how can you know which is God's word and which is not?

We covered this before. The King James Version has been in popular print for the past several hundred years. It hasn't changed since the fifteenth century. The events that are referred to had to happen at the time required, 1948 and 1967. The Dome of the Rock (685 AD-691 AD), serves as the starting point in time for two of these prophetic periods and the end of one. Other prophesies are fulfilled by these events, but I'll stick to ones with dates. At the time of the KJV translation, the rebirth of Israel, at the end of Israel's punishment, was still centuries into the future along with the end of the six-day war that resulted in the liberation of Jerusalem including the Temple mount thereby, according to Skolfield, bringing an end to the time of the Gentiles. To support your theory, the scriptures would need to have been changed after the events, not before. That didn't happen. If it was erringly translated, it would have to have been wrongly translated in such a way as to accidentally predict future events unless the translators somehow knew the future by hundreds of years. The math works for the Old Testament 1290 Hebrew days/years. 1290 X 360 = 464400 literal days, 464400/365.24 = 1271.5 solar/Julian years. 583 BC plus 1271.5 years ends mid year 688 AD.

King James Bible
"And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days."(Daniel 12:11)

Julian months have 30.44 days. 42 X 30.44 = 1278.5 days/years, Picking up where we left off at mid year 688 AD, 688.5 + 1278.5 = 1967

King James Bible
"But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months." (Rev 11:2)

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

http://www.ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters1-9.pdf

Bible Prophecy - Ellis Skolfield

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
Quote:
They are divinely inspired by God to write the books of the bible. I guess it's just a matter of faith. If you don't believe they were inspired to write the bible then whatever I might say has no basis since it was written down by man. I like to say, "created by God, recorded by man."

Snazzy.
But you concede that translations might have brought errors?

If God inspired the original authors to write it down 100% correct, why wouldn't he also have inspired translators and scribes to also get it 100% correct?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Not possible to wrongly translate the prophesies in such a way to accidentally or deliberately predict future events correctly. The dates are accurate leading up to the Dome of the Rock and from the Dome of the Rock to the liberation of the Temple Mount following the Six-day War. Other prophesies are provided too. Bottom line, the events come to be at the correct times. The King James Version was already in print and widely used hundreds of years before the rebirth of Israel and the Six-Day War. Read my post below. It covers things in greater detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies