Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And how would we prove that anyone can? Are you suggesting that everyone must succeed before such can be claimed? If so, your argument is invalid.
The macroeconomic picture does not support everyone doing well at this point in time. We need more money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
No it is common sense not everyone is cut out for college or trade or have enough business savy to own their own business. No humans are created alike we all have different intelligents. This is based on many people have tried these things and failed.

None of those are direct requirements for success. Many have succeeded to their expectations or goals and have lacked many of those "requirements" you state. Could they be more successful or had an easier time with such if they had those skills or talents? Maybe, but they are not the key to ones success. The key to ones success is learning from failure and persistence in achieving ones goals.

People are not equal in all skills, but success is not dependent on any specific unique talent other than persistence and learning from ones errors. Many refuse to do such, not because they lack a special means to achieve success. People are not where they are because they have no choice, they are where they are because the chose to, be it indirectly or indirectly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
We need people to work these low jobs anyway.
And those who choose such do so of their own selection, but not because there is some inability to do otherwise. That is a falsehood and honestly is a type of thinking that was common in history concerning "noble blood" that believed some were inferior simply because of their existence.

We showed such to be false when the US thrived on individual liberty and the belief that ones success was that of their own making to which nobody had a right to infringe or proclaim otherwise. If one thinks themselves a peasant and proceeds to function accordingly, then they are such of their own choice, just as if one believes themselves to be noble and functions accordingly is such. Not you or I can proclaim otherwise as their success will be the function of their own thinking and efforts, not smug claims of condescension of a died out societal belief.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The macroeconomic picture does not support everyone doing well at this point in time. We need more money.
Not everyone will succeed mainly because they choose not to. This will always be the case with those who make such decisions, but make no mistake this is a decision under their control. The issue is not that everyone must succeed, but that everyone has the freedom to pursue such success. The rest is up to them. Everyone can succeed to the level of their effort and willingness. This is a fact.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM

455 posts, read 633,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I disagree. Let me explain. A business is set up to produce something. Let's take a widget.

They hire people, get materials, equipment, and put it all in a building. They compute:

Wages used to produce:
Building costs:
Utilities:
Equipment:
Materials used:

Add that up and it's the cost of producing a widget. Now, they add on 30% markup and put it on the shelves for sale.

Wait a minute, the cost of labor was already in the cost of producing the widget. Who get's that 30%? I'm robbing the company because I want minimum wage?

When I set my business up, I cut myself a paycheck just like the people I hired. The 30% went in the bank to buy new equipment and provide for growth. At the end of the year, what was in the bank was divided among the workers. It's called profit sharing and it works like a champ. I made money, so did everybody else. As long as I had my business, I never once had an employee ask for a raise. I never once had a person quit. At that time minimum wage was $4. something. I started my people at $10 an hour, including the secretary and the guy that swept up the shop.

There is NO reason for any business to pay minimum wage. If a person cannot function to that level, don't hire them. If you, as the owner, are paying minimum wage, you are stealing from the workers, not them stealing from you.
It seems this conversation is mostly american, we are infact based on sheer greed an make no apology for it.What other country ******* about the concept of a living wage then pays top people 400x what the common worker makes??

Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
It seems this conversation is mostly american, we are infact based on sheer greed an make no apology for it.What other country ******* about the concept of a living wage then pays top people 400x what the common worker makes??
Wow, an American conversation on an American board, who would have thought that a forum designed specifically to cater to US issues, states, and interests would contain such conversations? It is just mind boggling.

Maybe, if one were looking for other country specific styles of conversations, that person would seek the correct "country specific" forum to achieve such. What's that? There are no categories here for other country discussion? Wow... odd... I wonder why?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Not everyone will succeed mainly because they choose not to. This will always be the case with those who make such decisions, but make no mistake this is a decision under their control. The issue is not that everyone must succeed, but that everyone has the freedom to pursue such success. The rest is up to them. Everyone can succeed to the level of their effort and willingness. This is a fact.
This is based on what? Do you know everyone and know that why they do or do not reach a certain level? No so you if do not know everyone then you can not say that reason people do not succeed is their own fault that is just your opinion without facts to back it up. Not everyone was born with the ability to do more then basic work and there is nothing wrong with that. How could society function if there were not people doing these basic jobs? If construction workers got better jobs then nothing would be built.If everyone who worked in stores got better jobs then those stores would go out of business. Also like I said before there are not enough higher positions for everyone and not enough business for a bunch of people to open their own business. Someone has to do these jobs.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Then you find something people need and sell it to them.

My answer was water, others must find their own answer.
What a cop out answer! Where do you propose all the thousands of people on min wage find something to sell?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 AM

455 posts, read 633,252 times
Quote:
Wow, an American conversation on an American board, who would have thought that a forum designed specifically to cater to US issues, states, and interests would contain such conversations? It is just mind boggling.

Maybe, if one were looking for other country specific styles of conversations, that person would seek the correct "country specific" forum to achieve such. What's that? There are no categories here for other country discussion? Wow... odd... I wonder why?
IOW, Its an american fixation of textbook capitalists.I don't see where it should be an important part of the discussion when discussing unemployment, but $10 million "BONUSES" should be !!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
You are arguing personal responsibility and from a microeconomic point of view you are correct. However as I said from a macro point of view things suck. The collapsing real estate bubble is hurting a lot of people. The banks are hurting because people are simply not paying their montages. The fraud that was committed in the last bubble is also a big problem. The supply of money for the economy is short of what it was in the 2005 era. The falling prices of houses are a big problem. No amount of personal responsibility will change this. On average everyone would be doing better if the macro picture was better.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
IOW, Its an american fixation of textbook capitalists.I don't see where it should be an important part of the discussion when discussing unemployment, but $10 million "BONUSES" should be !!
Yeah, imagine that such a concept that has been a part of this country since its basic foundations in principal is in text books of its country! Wow, I mean... who would ever think that a free society that promotes individual liberty would actually have issues where those who make what they do is directly under the control of those who are paying and those who are willing to work for that.

Maybe we should infiltrate all of the educational institutions and slowly begin to change that thinking? Maybe we could start pushing other cultural government styles as good while we condemn that of traditional American culture! Oh wait... drats... too late. /boggle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies