Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM

385 posts, read 626,467 times

Advertisements

What's the future of the Republican party? So far it seems like they are going the way of the opposition party. Their existence now seems solely based on disagreeing with the President's policies without offering any substantial solutions to the problems the country is facing. If so, do the Republicans face complete irrelevancy? I would find that kind of sad, seeing as I think we do need a series of checks and balances. However, if the Republican's modus operandi right now is to reject anything and everything Obama supports, then I think they're sealing their fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Almost 60 million voted for McCain...and he is a RINO.

Imagine if a real conservative ran...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
What's the future of the Republican party? So far it seems like they are going the way of the opposition party. Their existence now seems solely based on disagreeing with the President's policies without offering any substantial solutions to the problems the country is facing. If so, do the Republicans face complete irrelevancy? I would find that kind of sad, seeing as I think we do need a series of checks and balances. However, if the Republican's modus operandi right now is to reject anything and everything Obama supports, then I think they're sealing their fate.
Were they not complaining about obstructionism when they were in charge! Funny how hipocritical they become when they are on the otherside!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
In the house. No.
In the senate. Barely.

>Imagine if a real conservative ran...<

He still would have had his *** handed to him. It was not a GOP year. Poo happens.

Also. Define "conservative"
Fiscal conservative?
Hard religious conservative?
Gold bug conservative?
NWO-black helicopter conspiracy conservative?
Libertarian?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
I guess their purpose right now is to keep trying and failing to throw stones at Obama, proving this administration can stand up to scrutiny without blocking transparency.

I do find it funny how they are generally so afraid of dictatorships and oligarchies, when one main aspect in those types of government is hiding activity from the people. They can't seem to apply that thinking when they compare Obama to Bush.

Funny how it's Obama who takes measures to make the government more open and honest, fixing the corruption of the Bush admin. And somehow there are still people who think the "commie dems" are the ones who need to cover-up tyrannical actions...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in sc View Post
almost 60 million voted for mccain...and he is a rino.

Imagine if a real conservative ran...

+1

Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
They are indeed relevant, as they can now play the role of obstructionist to progress. They truly want what is best for big business, and what is worst for the country and its citizens

Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They are indeed relevant, as they can now play the role of obstructionist to progress. They truly want what is best for big business, and what is worst for the country and its citizens
I hope they obstruct every attempt at government to interfere with our economic liberties. Then, and only then, will I consider them Republicans.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I hope they obstruct every attempt at government to interfere with our economic liberties. Then, and only then, will I consider them Republicans.
Well, they also have to try to obstruct our social liberties while trying to avoid obstruction of our economic liberties, right? That's what the neocon repubs do these days isn't it?

But then, are you saying you don't consider Bush a republican? He did after all legislate a lot of economic "choices". The ban on Canadian drugs to boost big pharma is one that comes to mind immediately.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I think fiscal conservatives will always be needed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies