Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
For this reason in an individual-centered society just make damn well sure you work for someone who covers you or pay for it yourself. But don't expect your neighbor to.

I'd also not care so much about making good health choices when I know that other people are footing the bill.

Ask the Canadians how kick ass universal health care is. Just pray you never need a hip replacement in Canada. No wonder why they all come here for care.

You obviously ignored the post that points to a study that clearly debunks your theory of Canadians fleeing to the U.S for healthcare (hint..it's approx .5%.... ) and even those in Canada who complain about their system are not shouting the joys of a fully privatized system like we have in the U.S.

Rather than just spout silly rhetoric, you may want to arm yourself with some knowledge and thereby insight into the true problems of healthcare in this country. It would make for a much more intelligent debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,153,405 times
Quote:
For this reason in an individual-centered society just make damn well sure you work for someone who covers you or pay for it yourself. But don't expect your neighbor to.

I'd also not care so much about making good health choices when I know that other people are footing the bill.

Ask the Canadians how kick ass universal health care is. Just pray you never need a hip replacement in Canada. No wonder why they all come here for care.
You do know how insurance works? When a healthy person pays their premium, that money is then distributed among overhead, profit and medical treatment. You are paying for someone else.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
To add to the above post, I'm not sure anyone "chooses" to be sick just to get health care. You don't even see the money. Most people don't like going to the dr in the first place, and most would rather clean their toilet than have surgery.

Quote:

Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,201,470 times
Many of the countries that have universal health care for all are also democracies. Funny, I don't recall seeing any mass demonstrations or marches because they were so angry with their health care systems.

My grandparents had several Canadian friends who would come and visit with them for the winter months in Florida- never once heard any of them bad mouth thier Canadian system.

The naysayers claim that residents from countries with UHC flock to USA for treatment. Look at the bright side of that -at least they have the money in the bank that allows them to do that and U.S. citizens would still have that option also to go to a foriegn country for care. It should be no problem finding good care, after all the U.S. ranks miserably low from birth rate mortality to fewest fatal medical errors and just about everything in between.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Many of the countries that have universal health care for all are also democracies. Funny, I don't recall seeing any mass demonstrations or marches because they were so angry with their health care systems.

My grandparents had several Canadian friends who would come and visit with them for the winter months in Florida- never once heard any of them bad mouth thier Canadian system.

The naysayers claim that residents from countries with UHC flock to USA for treatment. Look at the bright side of that -at least they have the money in the bank that allows them to do that and U.S. citizens would still have that option also to go to a foriegn country for care. It should be no problem finding good care, after all the U.S. ranks miserably low from birth rate mortality to fewest fatal medical errors and just about everything in between.
Yes, but, the US has the best health care and procedures in the world.........if you can afford it.
I see your point xlabel. Canadians really have a better choice than us. They can stay at home or come to the US. Heck, US citizens are even now barred from buying meds in Canada.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,990 times
Because first we're going to give you universal housing, food, mini cars, then moonbeams, lollipops, rainbow farting puppies, and then you'll get your free healthcare. Just don't expect to get a paycheck. Gubmint has already spent it. But you won't need it. Because you'll be taken care of.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Because first we're going to give you universal housing, food, mini cars, then moonbeams, lollipops, rainbow farting puppies, and then you'll get your free healthcare. Just don't expect to get a paycheck. Gubmint has already spent it. But you won't need it. Because you'll be taken care of.
You really are in the Neighborhood of Make Believe, aren't you? Just like your profile says!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,214,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why doesn't the United States have Universal Health Care??
Becaaaaaaaaaaaause we're a Third World Country...

Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
If the US system is so wonderful, why in the hell did Bush sign a bill forbidding US citizens to enter Canada to purchase medicine? Do you realize how much cheaper meds are sold across the world except here in the US? Why did Bush sign the Medicare Bill? I'll give you a hint, it was to force all Americans and Medicare to pay full retail price for meds. Why would he do that? Of course he wouldn't do anything to upset and or pad the pockets of the insurance industry.

Do you think everybody pays a couple of hundred dollars a month for insurance or none at all through their generous company they work for. Do you realize that insurance has tripled in price these last few years. Do you realize that tens of thousands of people have been denied care and or payment of their care recently and is increasing? Do you realize that is the reason people are complaining because their premium are approaching the amount they pay in mortgage payments? How long is that sustainable?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,290,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
If the US system is so wonderful, why in the hell did Bush sign a bill forbidding US citizens to enter Canada to purchase medicine? Do you realize how much cheaper meds are sold across the world except here in the US? Why did Bush sign the Medicare Bill? I'll give you a hint, it was to force all Americans and Medicare to pay full retail price for meds. Why would he do that? Of course he wouldn't do anything to upset and or pad the pockets of the insurance industry.

Do you think everybody pays a couple of hundred dollars a month for insurance or none at all through their generous company they work for. Do you realize that insurance has tripled in price these last few years. Do you realize that tens of thousands of people have been denied care and or payment of their care recently and is increasing? Do you realize that is the reason people are complaining because their premium are approaching the amount they pay in mortgage payments? How long is that sustainable?
In your opinion, do you think that the United States Government can run a Health Care delievery system better than the private sector?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies