Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:22 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'll pass on the agenda driven junk science...

Thanks.

XX or XY
Indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I was merely questioning the age 2 bit based on the development of human memory. I would believe it if the age mentioned was something like 6 or 7. And the claim is that Kim identified as female at a young age, not that she wanted to have surgery at a young age.

And I find your suggesting that transgenderism is caused by parental inflicted trauma to be offensive. It's very likely Kim is in fact someway intesex.
My earliest memories are from age 4, though i'd guess maybe her parents noticed typical female behaviour at age 2. I doubt she can remember from age 2.

Last edited by archineer; 12-01-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
More typically, this procedure was routinely done after a botched circumcision. After the penis is accidentally destroyed, the doctor would offer a reassignment surgery to turn a little boy into a little girl. One of the most famous cases was that of David Reimer, who also had a twin. The doctor who botched the circumcision offered to perform a sexual reassignment surgery, knowing David would have a major problem growing up as a boy without a penis. The parents agreed, and the doctor gave the parents strict guidelines to never tell David, (now Brenda) that s/he was in fact, born a boy. In spite of Brenda's parents raising her as a girl, Brenda was clearly a tom boy, and only wanted to do typical things that a boy would do. She didn't want to play with her girl toys she was given, she preferred her twin brothers toys. The doctor who did the gender reassignment surgery used this case to prove his theory that nurture was more important than nature when it came to sexual identity, however, his theory was completed miss proven, and Brenda grew up as a very troubled and lonely child due to the fact that her sexual identity mentally (male), did not match that of her acquired female identity. This case gave empirical fact that sexual identity, or sexual orientation is, in fact, innate, formed within the womb before birth.

As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl: John Colapinto: 9780061120565: Amazon.com: Books

The story of David Reimer (Born a boy,brought up as a girl) PT. 1 - YouTube
Honestly, what interests me in regards to this matter (and No, I am not disputing that one's gender identity is not a choice) is how many trans-gender individuals primarily get sex changes in order to fit their expected mental gender roles as opposed to them wanting to have a body which is more similar to their mental gender.

Ideally, I think that gender roles should at least generally not exist; if a woman wants to do only stereotypically "male" things, and vice versa, then I see no problem with this.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
What do you care if someone has surgery? Do you know this person? Is it distressing to you personally?
I don't know them, but I have discussed in other threads the relationship with a close family member who is post-op transsexual. I totally disagree with the procedure, and totally accept the person.
But I know first hand what it can do to a family, and what it does to the person through first hand observation.
They will proclaim it was a "good" thing to do. But in private there is just as many issues as before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Yes I was insulting you for denying biological evidence. I never said transexuals are completely female, I said they have an intersex condition (which you clearly ignored - still think everyone is either xx or xy?) If you got an 'A' then perhaps you can read this paper? http://jcem.endojournals.org/content...85/5/2034.full
yes. I ignored "intersex" as addenda driven junk science, and continue to do so.
While there are hermafaradites and such that exist.

It's XX or XY.
simple.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
yes. I ignored "intersex" as addenda driven junk science, and continue to do so.

It's XX or XY.
simple.
But it's not always that simple. Ignoring biological reality doesn't make it go away.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Who cares?

Lola!

Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname

yes. I ignored "intersex" as addenda driven
junk science, and continue to do so.
While there are hermafaradites and such
that exist.

It's XX or XY.
simple.
Hermaphrodites notwithstanding, there's Klinefelter Syndrome...XXY.
Then there's XYY Syndrome.

Not so simple.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Hermaphrodites notwithstanding, there's Klinefelter Syndrome...XXY.
Then there's XYY Syndrome.

Not so simple.
Hermaphroditism doesn't exist in humans.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:

It's XX or XY.
simple.
'Agenda driven junk science'? (not addenda) please do explain. I suppose all the other gene combinations that have been discovered (eg: XXY, XXYY, XXX, XXXX, XX/XY, XX/XX, XO etc) and people of indeterminate/mixed sex are just lies huh? Please do enlighten us.

And true hermaphroditism doesn't exist in humans. There are people with both an ovary and testicle (aka 'pseudohermaphrodites',) but they are almost always sterile.

Last edited by archineer; 12-02-2013 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I see you're interested in FOX News science. Like O'Reilly saying that the earth is the only planet with a moon....
And I see that you are interested in ThinkProgress science. Like saying that only liberals know when life begins and then choosing an arbitrary stage in the development of a fetus that none of you can come to a consensus on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies