Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Why do liberals responses always avoid the issue and point the finger at the other side?

always diverting the issue/question. . . like a child's response: . well, i may be bad but not as bad as him. . . .

And why are liberals so afraid of FOX?

I think Fox's ratings speak for themselves. Oh, and to the person who replied, "We liberals don't get our news from TV" It is always one of "your own" that seems to bring The FOX Network up. Must be a thorn in your side.
What makes you think I'm a "liberal", whatever that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
What makes you think I'm a "liberal", whatever that is?
You are known on these boards only by the messages you post. . . what makes me think you are a liberal? Ok, I will reply: You quote Maureen Dowd as a source to defend your claims, you defend Clinton's actions, you want Vice-President Cheney to, and I quote you (as hidious as it is) "I think they ought to strap him to the roof of their Hummer to block hand grenaides, or something." And many other post that reflect your views. I find it interesting that people with left-wing/liberal views do not want to be classified as such, but you certainly have no problems classifying the conservatives/right-wing.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You are known on these boards only by the messages you post. . . what makes me think you are a liberal? Ok, I will reply: You quote Maureen Dowd as a source to defend your claims, you defend Clinton's actions, you want Vice-President Cheney to, and I quote you (as hidious as it is) "I think they ought to strap him to the roof of their Hummer to block hand grenaides, or something." And many other post that reflect your views. I find it interesting that people with left-wing/liberal views do not want to be classified as such, but you certainly have no problems classifying the conservatives/right-wing.

The current administration is not "conservative." They have blundered their way into a 4 year rolling foreign affairs disaster that has now killed over 5000 American solidiers and has achieved absolutely NOTHING. I wonder what the late Barry Goldwater would have said? He had no difficulty "outing" the Reagan administrations Iran-Contra nonsense...what would he have said about these "WMD'S" that turned out not to exist?

This kind of "adventurous" involvement in foreign entanglements was specifically denounced by the Framers. Were they "liberals" too?

Last edited by Dedalus; 03-19-2007 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The current administration is not "conservative." They have blundered their way into a 4 year rolling foreign affairs disaster that has now killed over 5000 American solidiers and has achieved absolutely NOTHING. I wonder what the late Barry Goldwater would have said? He had no difficulty "outing" the Reagan administrations Iran-Contra nonsense...what would have said about these "WMD'S" that turned out not to exist?
Well, first thanks for not attacking me for my opinion. And I agree Bush has alienated a lot of his conservative base. But I don't agree that he has killed 5000 etc. Remember congress, including a lot of democrats voted in favor of the war, and now they want to cut and run when things have gone bad.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
The current administration is not "conservative." They have blundered their way into a 4 year rolling foreign affairs disaster that has now killed over 5000 American solidiers and has achieved absolutely NOTHING. I wonder what the late Barry Goldwater would have said? He had no difficulty "outing" the Reagan administrations Iran-Contra nonsense...what would have said about these "WMD'S" that turned out not to exist?
Exactly.
Spunky, I do not see Dedalus as a left wing type at all; more of an independent skeptic who seeks the truth.
My parents were rabid Republicans and are probably spinning in their graves with what's happening in the current neocon White House.

Quote:
And why are liberals so afraid of FOX?

I think Fox's ratings speak for themselves
Most news outlets have their own bias. But to take Fox--and nothing else--as the gospel is scary indeed.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Exactly.
Spunky, I do not see Dedalus as a left wing type at all; more of an independent skeptic who seeks the truth.
My parents were rabid Republicans and are probably spinning in their graves with what's happening in the current neocon White House.

Most news outlets have their own bias. But to take Fox--and nothing else--as the gospel is scary indeed.
I don't know anyone who just takes Fox and nothing else. Again, it was Dedalus who brought up Fox News. . .

Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademsandi View Post
So by your logic, lying to all citizens to go to war with Iraq is cause for Bush to "no longer have such a position as President"? I know the double standard, of course you don't think so.
This might have already been addressed, as I have been away a couple of days, so forgive me if I'm restating someone else's post. If you have any proof that Bush intentionally lied to convince us to support the war, I will join in the call for his resignation/impeachment.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know anyone who just takes Fox and nothing else. Again, it was Dedalus who brought up Fox News. . .
True bill.

But, it is not necessarily who says something...it is what was said.

When I used to live out in San Fran, I used to be the "conservative".

I was having an on line discussion with some people about abortion and assisted suicide, and I brought up George Will. Will is a true Conservative...he also has a son, Jonathan, that has Down's Syndrome. I was attempting to bring out a point about "lives that are not worth living"; what a slippery concept that is, and how close it is to the concept of "useless eaters", thought up by some guys who wound up starting the Second World War.

I was not allowed to finish. As a "conservative", Will could have nothing to say that interested these "intellectuals." They drowned me out, so to speak, with allusions to his bad haircut, among other irrelevancies.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Exactly.

Why, thank you! What a nice thing to say.

Fox typifies the dreadful tendency of TV news to be conditioned in what they report by, not what is newsworthy, but what makes good video.

I have a lot of discussions with my girlfriends brother, who's a police officer, about precisely this. Like I said to him the other day; suppose you go out on a call. The perp is a guy who's been beating the crap out of his wife for years. She's all scarred up.

No good video there. It's not news.

Now, he pulls out a knife. He'd like to put you on a morgue slab...like some guys who used to be your friends.

No good video there. It's not news, either.

Now, you defend yourself. You whack the s___ out of this dirtbag with your nightstick. Some yokel has a video cam, and gets footage of you doing it.

Now, THAT'S GOOD VIDEO. That's news.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 PM

32 posts, read 56,218 times
The fact that Dd714's war chest is so full signals all we need to know. Do you have a similar list for you "heroes" on the right? Agreeing that Saddam was a bad man, a dangerous man and a lunatic is still not the same as using "evidence" that clearly troubled and was disputed by the senior intelligence community as a "basis for war". Why do you suddenly give credence to anything from the Clinton administration? Dollar to a donut you never did when he was President. Stop stock-piling and look in the mirror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies