Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 PM

65 posts, read 263,211 times

Advertisements

I'm English and recently moved to the US. I'm only now learning about American politics and such. I'm a US resident, but I'm so passionate about some of the issues facing the US today (especially women's rights) that I feel like I need to become a citizen so I can vote. These questions go out to born-and-bred American women in particular: Question 1 - How do you feel about the current government's effort to erode pro-choice? Question 2 - What do you feel when you see pro-life billboards? Do you care? Does it make you angry? Do you agree? I was surprised to see one of these billboards pop up on my morning drive (Seattle metro area). It says: "God knew my soul before I was born." I have yet to see a pro-choice billboard that says "My daddy raped me - I have a right to take back my own body." Women I've talked to about this seem to be undecided or almost apathetic. I think that's dangerous. Don't you think that if Roe V Wade is overturned then the next step will be taking away birth control? Isn't it a slippery slope? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 3,697 times
As a married women with 3 kids

Its my body and I will do whatever I want to do with it.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM

65 posts, read 263,211 times
....but that's my point. You wouldn't be able to if Roe V Wade was overturned.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Well if Roe V. Wade is reversed all that would happen is the PEOPLE through their elected officials can decide.

Whereas the Supreme Court took away that choice.

I would think people would support giving the PEOPLE the right to decide.

But that is me....

Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumMom View Post
I'm English and recently moved to the US. I'm only now learning about American politics and such. I'm a US resident, but I'm so passionate about some of the issues facing the US today (especially women's rights) that I feel like I need to become a citizen so I can vote. These questions go out to born-and-bred American women in particular: Question 1 - How do you feel about the current government's effort to erode pro-choice? Question 2 - What do you feel when you see pro-life billboards? Do you care? Does it make you angry? Do you agree? I was surprised to see one of these billboards pop up on my morning drive (Seattle metro area). It says: "God knew my soul before I was born." I have yet to see a pro-choice billboard that says "My daddy raped me - I have a right to take back my own body." Women I've talked to about this seem to be undecided or almost apathetic. I think that's dangerous. Don't you think that if Roe V Wade is overturned then the next step will be taking away birth control? Isn't it a slippery slope? Thoughts?
I am a resident also, but born in Europe. When I see anti-choice billboards it just ticks me off, how dare people push their religious beliefs on the rest of us, that have different beliefs. And no, a fetus at 8 weeks is not the equivalent to a baby to me. It is a potential baby, but no more a baby than an egg is a chicken.
I don't need anyone to try and control my body. I am getting older and soon this won't be an issue to me, but I feel women should always have a choice. Those that don't believe in abortions aren't forced to have them....women have found ways to end pregnancy forever, nothing will ever stop it. The only thing that would change is that low income women would have more children (and then watch them all whine about having to pay welfare to support all these mothers with children) and the well to do women would leave the country or find a discreet doctor to do the procedure.

The pushier and more obnoxious these people get, the more determined I get to fight for choice.

The religious nuts in this country are really quite scary, something I never encountered to this degree while living in Germany.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Katzenfreund,would you like to restrict these billboards in some way?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
I think that's dangerous. Don't you think that if Roe V Wade is overturned then the next step will be taking away birth control? Isn't it a slippery slope?
Agree

I have never heard of anyone "pro-life" who's mind has been changed by one of those billboards

Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo.square View Post
As a married women with 3 kids

Its my body and I will do whatever I want to do with it.
No one is trying to deny you that right.

I just want to afford your unborn child the same rights, that's all.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
HERE'S A BETTER BILLBOARD

Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
You'll find America still has a lot of that old Puritan influence. After a while you pretty much learn to ignore it and go about your business.

Just make sure you exercise your right to vote and keep the more "zealous" out of public office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies