Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM

348 posts, read 1,223,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I fell ill in France, and they sent a doctor to my hotel room at 11PM, and treated me right there.
THEN go live in FRANCE!!

Simple, done, problem fixed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
THEN go live in FRANCE!!

We want health care right here in good old usa!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
You say you work in the healthcare industry?? You must work in the basement if you CANNOT: 1) find the bill online and 2) analyze what is contained in this package.

Take a look at the stimulus package for yourself 650+ pages and over 1/3 devoted to electronic health records and the rationing of healthcare or "everyone in America". A panel will dictate "appropriate" healthcare and reward/penalize those providers that do not subscribe to the "panels" recommendations.

http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf (broken link)

What is of greatest interest is NO ONE is talking about this. Tom Daschle wrote in his book- the best and easiest way to pass national healthcare would to place it in a stimulus package "undercover" where it would not have same debate problems as a social reform bill.

Click on the above link and search for the word "health" or words "electronic health record"

It is also amazing that the candidates did not want to release personal medical records but want everyone in America to have their personal medical records available for anyone to see. Yes, they will try to keep them private but we all know of the leaks that happen and records of all kinds are lost/stolen daily.

I do not want my personal medical information available to anyone without my consent. Under this bill, many would have access to all health related info. Health Ins. / Life Ins., employers, government agencies, marketing companies, researchers, etc. The implications are HUGE! Link a family history of fatal or costly diseases and no job, no insurance, no procedure, etc.

The bill also states that procedures and meds will undergo clinical/cost evaluations for "cost effectiveness". Connect the dots. They won't have to show equal effectiveness, just COST LESS alternative. So we have "dumbed down" our education now we plan to choose our healthcare based on lowest cost? Lowest cost could mean NO CARE. If we ration healthcare (only way to reduce costs to include "everyone in America") a med or procedure that is effective in >90%, >70%, 50%, 30%, will it be paid for because the "panel" DOES NOT recommend it??

So what exactly do you think a "National Coordinator of Health Information Technology" that will monitor treatments to make sure your doctor is doing what the federal government deems "appropriate and cost effective" will be doing?

I chose my physician for a reason and I want him to be able to continue to practice medicine. If this bill passes as is healthcare will devolve into "check the box" for can and can't(s) based on whole populations not individualized medicine.

WAKE UP PEOPLE..The federal government monitoring your doctors treatment plan for you???
I'm a little higher up than the basement, thanks

Did you read my prior posts? I did go online and look at the bill. I even compared it vs. the Bloomberg opinion piece and went to the specific pages referenced.

There is absolutely NOTHING about Universal Healthcare in there. Zip. Nada.

Again, show me where it shows the Government will be providing Universal Health Care, or limiting the healthcare we can receive under our private insurance.

No one has been able to show me this yet, because it simply doesn't exist.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
THEN go live in FRANCE!!

What a cliched response.

I don't want to live in France.

I'm an American.

I'm just saying UH is not as bad as people make it out to be. I didn't have to wait for hours to be treated. They sent someone right to me.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
I have a friend in Canada whose doctor found a lump in her breast that he was suspicious of. An ultrasound was ordered, and she waited 3 months to have the ultrasound taken.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
I highly doubt it, Republican senators scoured that bill for any and everything to object to, if UHC was in there it'd have been the first thing they raised Hell about.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
It's in there....people better call their congresmen and senators and tell them, "GET THIS OUT OF THIS BILL NOW".

People, this is not a good thing. Why do you think they are sneaking it in? Obama gets up and says " oh let's modernize health care records" and everyone bobs their heads.....

If this was so good then they would have openly been discussing it.

Get ready to be told what treatment you can get, what tests you can have, what medication you can have. You get angry when you get the generic pills instead of the name brand at the pharmacy, well, how will you feel when you are denied an EKG because you are only allowed to have 1 per year? Or you can't have an MRI because the gov't 's recommedations says an Xray is good enough.

Wait til you aren't allowed to be life flighted because the gov't feels it is not necessary.

If they want to control welfare people, let them. But now they are stepping into the private sector and telling us what we can and cannot have done.
Having a nation wide health care database is not same as having 'universal health care'. They are two completely different things. The current record keeping is ancient and wasteful, not to mention information is often unavailable, slow to look up or lost in process. My heart ultra sound, stress test and holter results are missing in action because Cleveland clinic is unable to locate them. The new database is estimated to save billions of dollars every year.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
THEN go live in FRANCE!!

There are some very good, and budget-wise parts of the French health care system that would do very well for us.

An American woman who was pregnant wrote about the care she recieved while in France.

A nurse came to her home to see how she was doing. The nurse adminestered all the tests given pregnant women to screen for problems and was able to determine if there was need for further action. She also counseled on diet, answered questions and gave moral support.

There were no complications but if there had been she would have seen a doctor. Delivery was just as uncomplicated, but then France has a far lower death and complication rate than we do.

Here you go to a clinic, sit for hours and eventually see a doctor who asks a few questions and sends you home. Nothing he does is necessary for a doctor to do unless there is a problem detected. Blood tests in the French system are checked post visit but only if there is a reason is there a follow up. No need to go to the local lab.

Here its another long wait.

There is no charge for the nurse to visit in the French system. But they spend far less than we do in prenatal and post birth costs because there is close monitering and someone to see potential problems not found in tests. Prevention is the best way to avoide children born with problems that will last their lives.

Who spends the most per birth? We do. Who has the hightest complication rate and death rate? We do.

An awful lot of immediate and personal care not requiring a hospital or clinic can go a long way.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Having a nation wide health care database is not same as having 'universal health care'. They are two completely different things. The current record keeping is ancient and wasteful, not to mention information is often unavailable, slow to look up or lost in process. My heart ultra sound, stress test and holter results are missing in action because Cleveland clinic is unable to locate them. The new database is estimated to save billions of dollars every year.
I don't disagree about the cost. But it needs to be the choice of the patient. I've had tests come up missing within a computerized system too. The risk should be on the patient if it is the option of choice. I for one do not want to be part of it and hope should it be instutited the ACLU will follow up their warnings since it was proposed with legal actions to block its implimentation without proper and through privacy protection.

American Civil Liberties Union : Privacy Technology

Old 02-11-2009, 03:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't disagree about the cost. But it needs to be the choice of the patient. I've had tests come up missing within a computerized system too. The risk should be on the patient if it is the option of choice. I for one do not want to be part of it and hope should it be instutited the ACLU will follow up their warnings since it was proposed with legal actions to block its implimentation without proper and through privacy protection.

American Civil Liberties Union : Privacy Technology
Privacy has always been an issue. Many hospitals use computer databases already, but I have not heard of abuse. As a matter of fact the government ran VA health database is the largest in the world and with patients permission, the data is available to private hospitals too (those with access). However, there has been no reports of abuse of the data in that database.

But yes, if the patient declines the entry of his/her data to the system, then that wish should be respected. The data can even be given to the patient who can choose to keep it in a bank if he wants to. But think about an emergency where the data about current medication, allergies, past operations and medical history could be a lifesaver if the info was available, and with this new system it would be available no matter which hospital they take you to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies