Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We here in the U.S. have something the UK doesn't and it's called a Constitution.
Where in there does it say that healthcare is a right?
You know, jimj, if I recall correctly, you argued vociferously in another thread for the "right" to smoke! Now I don't think that's in the constitution, either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
We here in the U.S. have something the UK doesn't and it's called a Constitution.
Where in there does it say that healthcare is a right?
Read the Constitution's preamble for starters. Nothing in the Constitution says anything about public schools, police and fire departments. And nothing in the Constitution says businesses can rake the American people over the coals either.
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
It is an implied right

Why? Because as GD pointed out anyone can walk into any ER and recieve healthcare.. regardless of ability to pay or proof of ability to pay.... unless you dispute that.

If we as a society did not feel that healthcare was a rigth.. we would not administer it when someone walks into an ER without the ablity to pay.

Owning a CAR.. now that is not a right. Someone is not going to walk into a dealership and get a car without paying for it or showing the ability to pay for it.

Unless you feel that human beings should be left out on the street to die unless they can pay on the spot or show means to pay said treatment??
Who exactly "implied" it, the liberals? I agree with the prior post about UHC being the knee jerk way over reaction but agree there's middle ground available.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, jimj, if I recall correctly, you argued vociferously in another thread for the "right" to smoke! Now I don't think that's in the constitution, either!
Actually I don't believe I argued it's a "right" but nice try.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Who exactly "implied" it, the liberals? I agree with the prior post about UHC being the knee jerk way over reaction but agree there's middle ground available.
I dont' ever recall having said it was a knee jerk reaction?

What I put up in the last few weeks as an example is not government run healthcare.. but private sector healthcare with gov't subsidy.. etc. Ultimately I am more in favor of a UHC.. but I think more of a system like Swiss would work well here.

Again.. if it's not an implied right.. then why do we not just leave people to die on the streets? Do you think we should.. since you don't seem to think that actually recieving care is a right?

We'll give them the care.... well.. then why not give us the opportunity to pay for said care and contribute what we can for it..

What you are in essence saying is.. recieve the care and pay the high price (which most people can't afford to pay and will end up not paying) or recieve the care and then don't pay anything and go bankrupt. Where is the middle ground in that?

That is if you are not in agreement with the type of system I'm referring to.

Last edited by TristansMommy; 05-07-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM

130 posts, read 175,859 times
So his universal health care will cover every single person who just people who cannot keep a job or get a good job?

Is this a reward for only those people who are typical welfare type people?

No thanks, I will pay for my own health care, that way you cannot tell me if I can go to the doctor or not.

The less the government is telling you what to do the better you will be.

Obama wants to control you and your life and by giving those people free health care they can decide if you are "worth" kidney, liver, heart surgery or not.

If this program is not for "everyone", then it is not for us. Something tells me he is hiding the real info on this, anyone who makes xxxx per year wont qualify for his little program. Which would be wrong.

They need to stop calling this stimulus as it is everything but a stimulus package. So far, we have not saw a single bit of growth in any area he said would be stimulated.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
I love it , runnerup, How a already collapsed economy that had a huge bailout signed by BUSH is now Obama's fault. So in that way the fireman that goes to a house to put out a fire is rsponsible for the fire?
Not a opinion that this is the worst finacial crisis, look at the facts. ALL of the finacial minds can't be wrong. Maybe you know something the rest of the country doesn't?

I am not saying you are in financial crisis because of your welfare system but dispite having one. The UK has a huge welfare system but isn't in as deep a hole as America.
Wasn't Bush President when these companies were forced to lend money to people who couldn't afford it?
Maybe it was the "spirit" of Obama that made Bush sign so many failing bills? Oh no i forgot the house had a Republican majority...cant be the wicked Dems then?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post

I believe that healthcare reform and regulation are on it's way to help with that as has already been established earlier in this thread. Going to a UHC system is the opposite extreme that I do not want either. There is always a middle ground which is better than going completely government controlled or completely free market. It is definitely worth trying first anyway.
The response you gave to my response to jim was he made the statement that the UK is going bankrupt because of UHC. My response was that millions of Americans are going bankrupt with our current system. No where did I claim absolute control of healthcare by the fed is the answer. I did say that the US needs to compete economically with many different nations who all have some form of UHC.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

130 posts, read 175,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I love it , runnerup, How a already collapsed economy that had a huge bailout signed by BUSH is now Obama's fault. So in that way the fireman that goes to a house to put out a fire is rsponsible for the fire?
Not a opinion that this is the worst finacial crisis, look at the facts. ALL of the finacial minds can't be wrong. Maybe you know something the rest of the country doesn't?

I am not saying you are in financial crisis because of your welfare system but dispite having one. The UK has a huge welfare system but isn't in as deep a hole as America.
Wasn't Bush President when these companies were forced to lend money to people who couldn't afford it?
Maybe it was the "spirit" of Obama that made Bush sign so many failing bills? Oh no i forgot the house had a Republican majority...cant be the wicked Dems then?
No, Clinton started loaning money to people with low incomes and poor credit in 1994.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
So his universal health care will cover every single person who just people who cannot keep a job or get a good job?

Is this a reward for only those people who are typical welfare type people?

No thanks, I will pay for my own health care, that way you cannot tell me if I can go to the doctor or not.

The less the government is telling you what to do the better you will be.

Obama wants to control you and your life and by giving those people free health care they can decide if you are "worth" kidney, liver, heart surgery or not.

If this program is not for "everyone", then it is not for us. Something tells me he is hiding the real info on this, anyone who makes xxxx per year wont qualify for his little program. Which would be wrong.

They need to stop calling this stimulus as it is everything but a stimulus package. So far, we have not saw a single bit of growth in any area he said would be stimulated.
Universal Health Care covers EVERY single citizen of the USA. Where do you get this wierd notion that in a UHC you are told whether to go to a Doctor or not??
The Govt funds a UHC the health care professionals run the system and decide on your health care. At the moment the private insurance companies tell you what your health care needs are and whether you are eligible for it.

You decide what Doctor you see and what Hosptal you use... take your pick from ALL of the Hospitals not just the ones on your private health companies list.

So much rubbish bandied about on here about the Govt controlling your health in a UHC. Your health is in the hands of the people who are qualified to make decissions about your health...the Doctors etc.

Too many people on here do NOT understand a UHC but just quote soundbites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies