Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. It is ineffective- parochial and home schooled kids do better on exams
2. It is too expensive- parochial education costs half as much and produces a better product.
3. It is too administration heavy
4. It is too dominated by the teacher's union
5. The lunacy of political correctness and liberalism rules in the public schools

The public schools are liberal indoctrination camps that have failed in their stated purpose. Who supports public schools?
Liberals. They seem to want an ineffective education system.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I already did: mixed-ability classes, targeting the one-size-fits-all curriculum at the lowest achievers, halting everyone else's academic development and using them as defacto slave labor teacher's aides.

And all that began at least a decade before NCLB.
I didn't see a varied mix of brilliant to mediocre to terrible students in my class as a detriment. How exactly did such students affect your abilities to learn and advance?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Don't you people realize that education is a privilege not a right. Only the folks that can afford it should educate their children. Public education would only blur the class lines. The plebes might expect to live like us poles.

What do the rest need an education for anyway? So they can understand contracts describing credit cards or rent documents? Businesses can train their own workers. It can't take much to learn how to load a machine or pick vegetables anyway. All the poor have to know is how to fill the collection plate every Sunday.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I didn't see a varied mix of brilliant to mediocre to terrible students in my class as a detriment. How exactly did such students affect your abilities to learn and advance?
Is this a serious question?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't see a varied mix of brilliant to mediocre to terrible students in my class as a detriment.
Good for you, but longitudinal test score declines (at both the national and international levels) tell a very different truth.
Quote:
How exactly did such students affect your abilities to learn and advance?
They didn't because they weren't in my academic classes.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Good for you, but longitudinal test score declines (at both the national and international levels) tell a very different truth. They didn't because they weren't in my academic classes.
Did your learning depend on longitudinal test course? It didn't, in my case.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Don't you people realize that education is a privilege not a right. Only the folks that can afford it should educate their children.
Unfortunately, under the liberal-controlled decline of the public education system, that has become a sad fact.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
While what you're saying is true, public schools are making a HUGE mistake in pulling able students down to the struggling students' level.

Why take what used to be a relatively good thing and ruin it just because some parents are doing a poor job preparing their kids for school? Serious question.
Do you have data to back up your assertion here? Most public schools do try to tailor to individual students' needs. That's a big topic in education.

And what specific things would you change to make this better? Keep in mind that budgets usually don't allow a smaller class size than about 25 students per teacher.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Did your learning depend on longitudinal test course? It didn't, in my case.
Did you go to college? If so, in fact, it did.

The SAT has longitudinal records. The Atlantic article discusses that.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Do you have data to back up your assertion here? Most public schools do try to tailor to individual students' needs. That's a big topic in education.
It's a "topic," but not much else. Look at the NCES data.

Quote:
And what specific things would you change to make this better? Keep in mind that budgets usually don't allow a smaller class size than about 25 students per teacher.
Assign classes according to ability/skill levels, and appropriately differentiate the curriculum and pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies