Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times

Advertisements

Today is the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth, and just wanted to take the opportunity to say that he was one of the, (if not THE) greatest presidents we ever had. He saved the Union, freed the slaves and set us on the road toward racial equality--even if it took a full century to achieve. Not only that, but he gave his life for the Union by his leadership and his belief that the United States was a republic worth saving. So even though he's long gone, and wouldn't be able to read this, I just wanted to say....

Mr. Lincoln, you're not just a great American, but one of THE greatest. Thank you for all your work and your sacrifice for this country Thank you for doing your part to make the U.S. the greatest country in the world

Sincerely,
Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
The best president ever.

and to think that there's still people that call themselves Americans that wish the Confederacy had won the war and stopped being part of the USA.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Dopo
and to think that there's still people that call themselves Americans that wish the Confederacy had won the war and stopped being part of the USA.
I know! I never realized they still existed until I joined this forum. I never thought I'd have to defend Lincoln to other Americans. I mean, really!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
That murderer and tyrant is likely burning in hell as we type this. A place he belongs.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Lincoln was a true hero. arctichomesteader, why do you think he is burning in hell?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Lincoln was a true hero. arctichomesteader, why do you think he is burning in hell?
I don't know, how about: over 600,000 people killed in an illegal war because of his greed for power (when in fact secession was and still is legal according to any strict reading of the Constitution), he had people critical of him in the North imprisoned and even executed and even tried to have Chief Justice Taney arrested when he correctly declared he illegally suspended habeas corpus and ordered him to bring forth his victims (Lincoln ignored him), his actions towards the Indians in the West, his treatment of Confederate POW's, allowing Sherman's total war tactics...need I continue? As for hero? Hardly. He didn't free a single slave. He didn't free those in the slave states remaining in the Union (thus under his control during the war), and those in the South were not freed because he had no control over them. He wanted all Blacks shipped over to Africa, free or slave. He didn't want them here, he was a white supremacist. A bigot. The Emancipation Proclamation was purely propaganda to gain support for an unpopular, illegal war. Especially needed when he resorted to a draft (which really only affected the poor as the rich could buy their way out).

Besides, if you take the traditional Christian point of view, Lincoln's religious beliefs, or rather, the lack thereof, condemned him (but I'd consider that the icing on the cake because of his many crimes):

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma" -Lincoln

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't know, how about: over 600,000 people killed in an illegal war because of his greed for power (when in fact secession was and still is legal according to any strict reading of the Constitution)
1.- Your argument would make Bush reponsible for the death of more than 1 million people in Iraq
2.- Secession is treason, I believe you get life in jail for treason (I could be wrong)
In few words, secession is against the law and that would make you "an illegal"

Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
1.- Your argument would make Bush reponsible for the death of more than 1 million people in Iraq
2.- Secession is treason, I believe you get life in jail for treason (I could be wrong)
In few words, secession is against the law and that would make you "an illegal"
This thread isn't about Bush, now, is it? Though Bush is responsible for whatever the number really is in Iraq.

On secession, I suggest you study the Constitution a bit. Note Amendment 10:

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Do find for me where secession is prohibited in the Constitution...

Quote:
Oh the definition of treason is in the Constitution too, as follows: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
And the most radical, anti-secession politician of the North, whom Lincoln appointed as Taney's successor, said, in reference to the desire in the North to charge Jefferson Davis and other Confederates with treason:

"If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution secession is not rebellion. We cannot convict him of treason." -Salmon P. Chase

Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
"If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution secession is not rebellion. We cannot convict him of treason." -Salmon P. Chase
I'm guessing you would favor secession of .... whatever states, let's say the "Confederacy".

If that happened....
would you join them and attack american soldiers to defend your new country?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
That murderer and tyrant is likely burning in hell as we type this. A place he belongs.
You must be from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies