Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

This morning we learn that C-SPAN has surveyed historians to again come up with a President's Day ranking of commanders-in-chief.

Fittingly, for this Abe-a-licious year, the 16th president comes in at #1, with Honest Abe Lincoln retaining his top slot.

Political Punch: On C-SPAN, Historians Rate W the 7th Worst President Ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Which president did the people like most?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Which president did the people like most?
Abe Lincoln for some reason.

Personally Reagan was MUCH better than he was, and should have has either the top spot or at the very least 2nd.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Personally Reagan was MUCH better than he was, and should have has either the top spot or at the very least 2nd.
omg me too on both. i hope other people will see this post and give comment. shoot, we have the votes on the worse. who do we think are the best? it's a small positive, but what the hey...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This morning we learn that C-SPAN has surveyed historians to again come up with a President's Day ranking of commanders-in-chief.

Fittingly, for this Abe-a-licious year, the 16th president comes in at #1, with Honest Abe Lincoln retaining his top slot.

Political Punch: On C-SPAN, Historians Rate W the 7th Worst President Ever
Wow, Slick Willie trumps Tricky Dicky! Clinton says he wasn't peeved about coming in 41st, after Nixon no less, but you can see he's about to blow a gasket. I'm a little surprised that his rating is still that bad since history tends to be a little kinder to former presidents as time goes by and their replacements screw up even worse than they did.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Lincoln's name will likely be uttered in support of crushing any sort of sovereignty some of these states are trying to assert, as if the civil war and what's to come have any real correlation.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
I like this ranking because it is the most non-partisan one out there. What I do not care for is that for the most part, they ranked the presidents based on one screw up. And while I may not agree with things Lincoln did, he lead the country during the roughest part of our history, and somehow stayed sane. He would not allow the union to crumble on his watch, and that seems like a good enough reason to me.

I am surprised Grant ranks so high.. With all the scandals and other instances of corruption during his administration, he was not a very popular president. But as a previous poster mentioned, history tends to be kinder to former presidents.. I suspect Bush will move up the ranks over the years as well..

Quote:
While I like Reagan as much as the next guy, his own staff took advantage of him without him knowing it, and to me that was a thorn in his side. He is well suited for the #10 spot. He gave America a much needed 'pep talk' after the rough patch that was the 70s. I see Reagan as the Republican's version of Obama.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wow, Slick Willie trumps Tricky Dicky! Clinton says he wasn't peeved about coming in 41st, after Nixon no less, but you can see he's about to blow a gasket. I'm a little surprised that his rating is still that bad since history tends to be a little kinder to former presidents as time goes by and their replacements screw up even worse than they did.
Uhhh....Clinton comes in at 15th best. And he now surpasses Nixon on the "Moral Authority" ranking.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Reagan better than Lincoln? I think Reagan was a good enough president (I'd put him in the top 15) but no one surpasses Lincoln, except possibly Washington.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:

Reagan was popular for his Hollywood era charm, but was most defintely not a good POTUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies