Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel safe in your home?
Yes. There's no crime around here. 44 46.81%
Yes. I have either a security service, an alarm, dog(s), weapons, or some combination thereof. 39 41.49%
No. I've taken all sorts of precautions and still feel unsafe. 9 9.57%
No. I'm at the mercy of any criminal. 2 2.13%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times

Advertisements

I feel just fine at home. Have two Rottweilers who spend a lot of time sitting outside. I also live in an area where I would say 80% of the homes have at least one gun in them, and thieves know where they can do their work and where not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's a lifetime if you have a bad guy in the house or trying to break down your door.
And no protection at all in a Zombie Apocalypse, I know.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And no protection at all in a Zombie Apocalypse, I know.
If only I had the zombie-proof house. Screw the criminals, it's the zombies you gotta be worried about.

The World's First Zombie Proof House

Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Default Old Thread, I'll Bite

Thanks for the resurrection!

Me? in a mediocre area, occasionally questionable people entering lot day to day.

8 apartments, consisting of 4 duplexes, in four, recovering persons on Wisconsin's prisoner/offender release program, some of the prior offenders are a mix of different ethnicities, some have the appearance of being intimidating, muscular-tattoos-weird haircuts, one apt. has Mrs. Kravitz, one apartment has a person who grows marijuana in his back yard-has two cc weapons violations in Milwaukee County-spins his van in the lot slinging gravel everywhere-cuts peoples telephone/tv cable lines-confronts other tenanats-I consider him mildly unstable, one Mexican-non citizen family of four-no threat, and myself-a person who has served in the armed forces and now disabled.

I have a dog, a video camera/dvd recorder to watch and record outside activity, and the local PD patrols frequently, I feel somewhat safe when my deadbolts and knob handles are locked, the only times I feel nervous is leaving or coming back to the apartment especially if the work release people have guests visiting-some appear seedy-but you can't judge a book by it's cover-plus, the unstable tenant with the 2 cc violations makes me quite nervous.

I'd feel safer in the high desert or mountains out west, either in National Parks or on BLM land, of course if we ever did that, we'd more than likely have a 'ol betsy.
I wouldn't necessarily feel safer in a rich affluent ritzy neighborhood pretty much because those are usually the types of places where burglaries might occur.

But as an old fart, I have found generally you're not safe anywhere, crimes can occur everywhere.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
I live in a "safe" area, but there's really no such thing. Criminals are mobile.
I take responsibility for my own safety; dog, alarm and arms.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
Where is the option for "Yes. There is a little crime. I do not own a gun or have a security system, but I do feel completely safe."?
Me too.

If I lived in a rural area or a nasty part of a city, I might reconsider the gun thing.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Isn't that the truth?

One of ours will bark at a new person but once you come over the third time, he's pretty nice.
I guess it's good that they bark whenever someone comes to the door but I just hate when bark and it's me coming home at 2 in the morning.
My dog barked once and scared herself.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Me too.

If I lived in a rural area or a nasty part of a city, I might reconsider the gun thing.

Is there a fence that keeps criminals in the "nasty part of a city?"

Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
There's very little crime in my area........When I first moved in the neighbors saw me coming home one night, all dressed in black, carrying what certainly seemed like a rifle case into the house.

One of them asked me "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a mercenary."

Keeps them on their toes......lol.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Do you feel safe in your home?

I can step out of my front door and look right into Mexico. Despite all the cartel violence across the border the past 5 years, almost none of it has spilled across the fence. My old place in this old neighborhood is pretty safe, though.

I'm giving some thought to a dog as an early warning system. Not sure about what medium size breed to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies