Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Bhcompy, doubt that the Feds will intervene this time unless there are a lot of protests. They usually don't like to intervene in State and Local level politics. Let's see how this plays out.
unfortunately you are wrong. pot is an illegal drug at the federal level, so although CA might make it legal, the feds still have the right to charge you in federal court for possession/sales. remember last year when the feds came in an confiscated all the weed at the dispensaries in LA and how pissed the city was about it? although they had the right to be pissed, they're power is trumped by the feds, so there is really nothing they can do about it. the one glimmer of sunshine in all of this is that obama is a pretty liberal guy and would probably keep the feds out of CA if we chose to completely legalize pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,584 times
BRinSM, I know it is illegal at the Federal level and I remember all the businesses and people that were arrested. But CA legalized pot sales to people who need it for medicinal purposes and the Feds stopped intervening. I think the same thing will eventually happen when and if CA legalizes sales. Also, I didn't say that the Feds can't intervene state law but I doubt they would this time around.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
Quote:
BRinSM, I know it is illegal at the Federal level and I remember all the businesses and people that were arrested. But CA legalized pot sales to people who need it for medicinal purposes and the Feds stopped intervening. I think the same thing will eventually happen when and if CA legalizes sales. Also, I didn't say that the Feds can't intervene state law but I doubt they would this time around.
i hope you are right

Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
I don't think the Feds will roll over to any state, if anything they will show their power. In our county the Feds shut down all of the medical shops.
I think legal pot smoling is a long way off.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
I agree with the comments regarding the topic title. It needs a question mark.

I think pot should be legalized, because it would be a good tax revenue stream for the state, because everybody who wants to smoke it can already get it, and because it would weaken the narcotrafficantes and all those who benefit from producing and selling pot.

However, I don't see how the federal government would just stand by and let it happen. Even if pot is legalized by the state legislature there are still federal laws on the books, DEA would enforce them, and I would be surprised if any city police or county sheriffs (etc) quit enforcing the federal laws.

Would Schwartzenegger sign it if the legislature passed it?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
Quote:
Sassberto, that is how it was advertised on the news. If it is misleading title blame the news reporter. BTW, I don't smoke that stuff but that it would be good for others to know what is going on in our state.

Bhcompy, doubt that the Feds will intervene this time unless there are a lot of protests. They usually don't like to intervene in State and Local level politics. Let's see how this plays out.
Well, they occasionally raid the establishments that grow and sell marijuana in the medical marijuana bars and such. It's in the news a few times a year. Drugs are one thing the Fed does take an interest in locally.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,584 times
With what is going on with the economy and at state and fed level of pending unemployment I doubt they will make it a priority. But let's see.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
In our area it is now legal to purchase marijuana for medicinal use.

Medical pot shops OK'd by city | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

PS City Council Approves Introduction of Medical Marijuana Ordinance | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

Palm Springs council approves pot co-ops | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

Medical marijuana cooperatives now legal in Palm Springs | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

Here's just a little something for you guys to enjoy!

YouTube - Smoke Two Joints

Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,705,450 times
Quote:
CA to legalize marijuana and tax the sells so that more money to go back to the state. This was on the news this morning, haven't found a supporting article yet. Has anyone else heard about this, what do you think?
So, why would anyone buy it, and pay a high sales tax when they could grow it for free?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM

100 posts, read 114,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
It is about time they get serious about this. The revenue from taxing it would be enormous. California grows in insane amount of marijuana. And honestly, it isn't even as hazardous to your health as alcohol.
So pothead losers will have even less money, and resort to even more crime? Are you kidding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies