Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 12:40 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, it is NOT either a pool of lava or some make believe guy in the sky....step out of the box and you will be free......

I do NOT have to believe either one...sorry you're "buckled in"...
So where did man come from?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Most people, atheist or believer, don't spend too much time pondering how we got here. Yes, we all think about it from time to time but usually recognize that it's just not in the cards for us to know exactly. The atheist just shrugs and says "Oh well" and the believer just shrugs and says "Oh well, I'll just say God did it". In both cases the person still doesn't actually know anything.
correct neither side knows for sure so it takes a belief or faith to think one way or the other

Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One area where you are making generalizations that are inaccurate is in you attempts to define atheists. They don't believe in God. You continue to try to make this non-belief into some sort of affirmative belief. Why? Why are you so entrenched in that?
I'm entrenched in it because word have meanings. The meaning of a word is important to know because it lets us communicate clearly and effectively. The word atheist has a dictionary definition. I posted it. The definition of an atheist is one who believes that there is no god, no supreme being. That's not MY definition, it's the accepted definition of the word, according to the Merriam Webster online dictionary and Dictionary.com. Why would you be so interested in changing the definition of the word? I'm not interested in anyone's beliefs, and I have not asked anyone to be concerned with mine. Using the proper definition of a word is not a gneralization, it's simpy proper usage of vocabulary.
If you are talking about people who believe there is no god, you use the word atheist. If you are talking about people who say there is no definitive proof that god exists or does not exist, that we cannot know the answer for sure, then you want to use the word agnostic.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So where did man come from?
I don't know and neither does anyone else.

And it has NOTHING to do with the fact i don't believe in "god".

If I don't know something , I don't just make up something to answer my questions....that is STUPID.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
correct neither side knows for sure so it takes a belief or faith to think one way or the other
No. "Oh well" isn't a belief or a faith. Admitting you don't know someting is hard for some. "I don't know" was probably what my kids heard the most from me when while growing up and asking crazy questions. Second only to "let's GOOGLE that" in the later years. LOL

Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Which type of man anyway? There have been various species of humans throughout history. Where do you draw the line between humans and other primates? Just a couple of days ago there was an article on a new find of an ancient form of human, about 4 million years old from what is now Ethiopia. It already had typical human properties, but also more ape-like ones. The development of modern humans was a long and gradual one, with many setbacks.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
You're wrong.

Your position begins with the assumption that your diety exists. Atheists make no such assumption. Atheists do not believe in your god.

Atheists reject the gods of the believers.

Let me illustrate the flaw in your "reasoning", such that it is.

You don't believe that Thor or Zeus exists. There is simply no reason for you to assume their existence and believe (hope) that they aren't real. They're mere figments of the imaginations of the long-dead believers. You know that. All things nonexistent are present only in the imagination. That's entirely the reason that faith is required to believe in their existence when nothing anywhere points towards their presence. They are utterly absent. They "died" with the last of their followers and have no place even in anyone's imagination today, other than as colorful remnants of long gone myths. No "belief" is necessary to know that they are unreal.

When you understand why you reject Thor and Zeus and innumerable other possible gods, you'll grasp why atheists reject your god.
First, stop ascribing a belief in god to me. I have made NO mention of my own belief, as I feel it's not relevant.
You say I am wrong, and then yo make an argument that shows I am right. The reason for the disbelief is unimportant. As you said, atheists believe that god, whether you want to name such a being God, Yaweh, Thor, Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, Aphrodite, orr anything else, does not exist. I agree. That is the definition of an atheist. Atheists believe that no god exists.
What is it that I am wrong about?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
I presume you ar ean atheist, how do you beleive the universe was started?

Atheists often hold science and reason as the ways of finding the truth. Currently there is no evidence for how the universe began which makes the logical position to consider it currently unknown. This isn't indicative of divine intervention though. If you look at history, the most probable explanation is a currently unknown natural source.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Atheists do exercise great faith. But not in God.

They putting all their chips on the table hoping that we came out of nothing.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I don't know and neither does anyone else.

And it has NOTHING to do with the fact i don't believe in "god".

If I don't know something , I don't just make up something to answer my questions....that is STUPID.
So you have no answer . So you beleive there is no asnwer you are willing to take a side with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies