Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times

Advertisements

I have seen several times many hispanics usually cuban, dominican, columbian, mexican, and puerto rican. Call themselves the n word in a way of greeting each other. Right infront of other black people. Infact my puerto ricans friends use the word more than some of the black people i know. Now I have never heard white people call themselves the n word in my presence. Until I went to a college party last weekend. And heard some of the young men say whats up my ''ni33a''. I wasn't shock about the usage of the word. I was shock because most whites even one's with black friends don't use the word infront of black people. Even the white rapper eminem says he doesn't use the word. So I was more shock that they actually said it infront of me. Hispanics usually say it infront of me and other blacks all the time though. I guess they know black people don't care if they say it. Even some of my asian friends who are thai, korean, chinese, japanese, and filipino use the word too. I know its mostly a younger generation thing. The people are all 26 and under.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Have you ever heard non-black people call themselves the n word?

Nobody is using the word to be racist or to belittle. Most people were using the word in the context.
'' Whats up my n###''

''Or stop playing n####''.

''Yall n###'' crazy''.

I know alot of older blacks especially one's over the age of 40. Get very mad when some younger black kids use the word. I don't understand why some non-blacks are calling themselves the n word. I don't see people calling themselves crackas, honkys, or horibble words for asians, or latinos.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
One common characteristic unites them all... They're all TRASH.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:51 PM

22 posts, read 37,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I have seen several times many hispanics usually cuban, dominican, columbian, mexican, and puerto rican. Call themselves the n word in a way of greeting each other. Right infront of other black people. under.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Have you ever heard non-black people call themselves the n word?
Those groups you mention have African roots its that simple.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,852 times
Its because the black people who are around them let them get away with that crap. Its definitely a younger generation thing. But hopefully, they are smart enough to only use it around the black people they are comfortable with because if they try to be cool and say it to a stranger, especially in my neighborhood, they're gonna get tossed up.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
One common characteristic unites them all... They're all TRASH.
I think I'm going to have to agree w/this. Usually, the white people you hear say it are A. males & B. they're white trash or C. they're....whiggers....I even hate saying that word because I have never ever said the N word, it's so fricking demeaning. Clearly, these people who say it fancy themselves to be black & apparently have no problem w/the word. They also probably have no idea the negative connotation it brings.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
plain and simple. HH music unfortunately, but not all individuals call themselves N* gga and others that listen to HH

Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
The meaning of words morph and change over time. A younger generation has taken one of the malodorous words in the english language and are transforming it into something less so. Time and language are not immutable.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I think I'm going to have to agree w/this. Usually, the white people you hear say it are A. males & B. they're white trash or C. they're....whiggers....I even hate saying that word because I have never ever said the N word, it's so fricking demeaning. Clearly, these people who say it fancy themselves to be black & apparently have no problem w/the word. They also probably have no idea the negative connotation it brings.
Exactly!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
I think that no matter what the racial background of the younger people you hear using that term for each other depends a lot on what kind of music they have watched and the kind of television they watch. I have two sons, 28 and 24. The older one went to college in 2000 and came back calling people "dawg" just as the black kids he heard did with each other. He never listens to rap or any other kind of "black" music so doesn't get that other influence.

The one that is 24 uses all kinds of terms he picks up from rap "music" and many of those terms just aren't very nice. He is never around any of those races but he does spend a lot of his spare time watching the plethora of black movies that Starz and HBO show with all the foul language that they use in the newer movies.

Both of those boys have heard me use the ni33er word all their lives just as I did my father back in the 1940s when I was a little kid but neither of them uses the word. Now if you want to get to the other major minority, soon to be our majority, if Obama has his way both of them call them all the worse sounding names from having to associate with so many of them.

How about my favorite name for our largest illegal group? *******? I must be a terrible racist.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 AM

537 posts, read 291,965 times
Because the connotation of the word has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies