Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Poor widdle bam-bam.

Barack Obama 'too tired' to give proper welcome to Gordon Brown - Telegraph

Quote:
Barack Obama's offhand approach to Gordon Brown's Washington visit last week came about because the president was facing exhaustion over America's economic crisis and is unable to focus on foreign affairs, the Sunday Telegraph has been told.

But Washington figures with access to Mr Obama's inner circle explained the slight by saying that those high up in the administration have had little time to deal with international matters, let alone the diplomatic niceties of the special relationship.

Allies of Mr Obama say his weary appearance in the Oval Office with Mr Brown illustrates the strain he is now under, and the president's surprise at the sheer volume of business that crosses his desk.

A well-connected Washington figure, who is close to members of Mr Obama's inner circle, expressed concern that Mr Obama had failed so far to "even fake an interest in foreign policy".
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Can there be any doubt that obama and his WH minions are nothing but a bunch of friggin amateurs, lightweights and incompetents.

What did he think the leader of the free world would be doing all day?

Ignoring foreign policy/national security cause we're to exhausted is an invitation for another attack.

Quote:
Mr Brown handed over carefully selected gifts, including a pen holder made from the wood of a warship that helped stamp out the slave trade - a sister ship of the vessel from which timbers were taken to build Mr Obama's Oval Office desk. Mr Obama's gift in return, a collection of Hollywood film DVDs that could have been bought from any high street store, looked like the kind of thing the White House might hand out to the visiting head of a minor African state.
They probably didn't realize they were supposed to give a gift in return - is anybody at the obama WH even remotely aware of tradition and decorum for visiting heads of state?

I have an image in my mind of a low-level staffer rifling through obama's CD tower frantically burning discs of his favorite artists.

Last edited by sanrene; 03-07-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
My guess is the chilly reception had to do with the fact that Gordon Brown had recently announced that he wanted the U.S. help in bailing out the entire world! I guess Gordon's source for news must be the San Francisco Chronicle -- sorry, dude, no money here!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
My guess is the chilly reception had to do with the fact that Gordon Brown had recently announced that he wanted the U.S. help in bailing out the entire world! I guess Gordon's source for news must be the San Francisco Chronicle -- sorry, dude, no money here!
A fellow Luo's (Obama's tribe) explanation of Obama's treatment of Brown and the UK...
Quote:
Many observers seem puzzled. I’m not and neither is the UK press. It’s about Kenya.
If you recall, before Kenya became Kenya (1963) it was a British colony known as British East Africa. Between 1952 and 1960, there was this little “difference of opinion” between the UK and the natives of British East Africa—primarily from the Kikuyu tribe. That conflict is known as the Mau Mau Uprising. There were tens of thousands of African civilians killed and, according to Wiki, seven to ten thousand Africans interned by the British colonial masters. In Dreams from My Father, President Obama says that his grandfather was tortured by the British during the conflict, though he was not a Kikuyu but a Luo. Guess which prime minister ordered the Mau Mau insurgency to be put down.
Mystery solved. It seems that the president is seeking to humiliate the progeny of those who humiliated his ancestors. Revenge isn’t that complicated a motive.
baldilocks: Vengeance is His

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
First, there is already a thread on this ridiculous non-topic.

Second, the Telegraph is a British TABLOID. The people who read it--and certainly the people who quote it as fact--are the same kind of people who read other tabloids, like the National Enquirer.

Get a life.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 PM

312 posts, read 507,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

They probably didn't realize they were supposed to give a gift in return - is anybody at the obama WH even remotely aware of tradition and decorum for visiting heads of state?

I have an image in my mind of a low-level staffer rifling through obama's CD tower frantically burning discs of his favorite artists.
someone should have told him.
and I don't think gifts should be exchanged between people who sould use every penny of theirs to distribute to the poor.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Poor widdle bam-bam.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Can there be any doubt that obama and his WH minions are nothing but a bunch of friggin amateurs, lightweights and incompetents.

Ignoring foreign policy/national security cause we're to exhausted is an invitation for another attack.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Poor widdle bam-bam.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. """

Then you must've forgotten that really stupid, inane, thread about Obama not wearing a jacket in the Oval office!

"""Can there be any doubt that obama and his WH minions are nothing but a bunch of friggin amateurs, lightweights and incompetents.

""Poor widdle bam-bam."""

Great mind, great political analysis.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""Poor widdle bam-bam."""

Great mind, great political analysis.
Just racist crap. As usual.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 AM

106 posts, read 184,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Just racist crap. As usual.
I know playing the race card is easy, but you have to keep in mind -

many of us don't know how someone with his experience (or lack of) gets elected POTUS. It sours us. We feel we were duped. We feel like every idiot in the country went to the polls to vote this guy in. We were skeptacle of his abilities to lead the free world from the get go, and so far, his administration and congress hasn't given us any contrary evidence to the belief we hold that there are a bunch of hacks running the country.

The FACT of this exchange is that Gordon Brown gave a gift from the heart and Obama gave a gift that appears to be an afterthought. Lets not even get in to the fact that those DVDs are NTSC and won't even play on Mr. Brown's PAL DVD player.

The FACT is that we as a country are judged based on how our leaders represent us. I'm pissed. I could have told the WH that they chose a sh*tty gift to give to one of our closest allies. Those people who chose to give that gift are supposed to be our leaders, hell I get more for Christmas from my girlfriend's 18 year old sister. We might as well have given Gordon a bag of suckers.

If Bush had done this, forget about it. He would have been lambasted on this board and by CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CBC every fifteen minutes for weeks... but because Obama is democrat I only found out because of this board. If I turned on Fox they would probably show it too. It is a critical misstep and like every other STUPID thing the DUMBOCRAPS do it will be swept into the memory hole in a few days. Make no mistake if Bush pulled this crap we wouldn't hear the end of it for weeks.

That's probably the reason why people are here complaining, because they know Bush would pay dearly for a misstep like this, and those people want you to go through what they went through for eight years.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Insulting the Brits. What a novel idea. Considering their colonial history they deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies