Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's very deniable...it a bold face lie actually....a right wing myth....to get their base worked up.

As a liberal myself I hope you continue your anti-education..anti-intellectual...anti-reason campaign against educators.

It shows just how radical and debased your party is...LOL

Go for it......be the party that attacks learning, and reason, and rationality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The only people who ask your question have never been to college & often resent intellectual pursuits. The fear of "liberal indoctrination" in reality is the fear of truth. Thinking that students are so naive & gullible to not be able to discern the truth suggests a low opinion of self
I just graduated from college last year and I agree with the OP. When were each of you last in school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Does anyone else notice a profound liberal slant within the actual course material that our students are forced to pound into their heads in order to get A's? I am working on a 2nd degree and have been astounded by the amount of literature that promotes, outwardly, CNN and other liberal trends. I think it would be wise to check out your daughter's and son's textbooks and course material every now and then. If nothing else, you'll find it interesting to see where today's education is leading tomorrow's leaders and followers. And it is undeniable that they are leading them down a liberal path. The question is Why?
While I certainly agree that there is a liberal bent in our educational system, I think you, like many, are WAY off base when you call places like CNN liberal. Remember CNN gave Rush Limbaugh 90 free minutes of air time during the CPAC, so that is hardly a liberal thing to do.

Of course I suppose if more conservatives were more inclined to join academia, then the curriculum wouldn't be so liberally slanted, so where is that "pull yourself up by the bootstrap" mentality? There is more to life than that "one" book you know.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Hey, you can always transfer to Bob Jones or Liberty University.

Here's a few more;

Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Mich.
Grove City College in Grove City, Pa.
Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio
Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Ind.
Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, Calif.
Harding University in Searcy, Ark.
College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Mo.
Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.
Patrick Henry College in Purcellville, Va.
Christendom College in Front Royal, Va.

Group names top 10 conservative colleges

Now off with you to the registrars office.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Fortunately, we have an outstanding political science chairperson at Duke, Mike Munger, who's a pretty hard core libertarian and regularly schools the NC State economics professors on NPR.

Most of the engineering faculty at NC State are also fairly conservative, realizing that industry pays many of their wages and ultimately purchases our research results.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Does anyone else notice a profound liberal slant within the actual course material that our students are forced to pound into their heads in order to get A's?
To get A's a student has to engage the material presented. I've never known a teacher to compel a student to agree with the material. I've presented libertarian, anti-communist papers and arguments to very left-wing professors and received an A or A-. I've also presented libertarian arguments to staunch conservatives and gotten an A. Whatever the material, most instructors want to see thoughtful, valid arguments backed by good logic and sources.

Quote:
I am working on a 2nd degree and have been astounded by the amount of literature that promotes, outwardly, CNN and other liberal trends.
CNN is a liberal trend? It's the most famous news channel on earth, and has been so for almost 30 years. Some of its anchors are liberals (not all.) I suspect your perceptions of left and right are a little off kilter.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I just graduated from college last year and I agree with the OP. When were each of you last in school?
I finished my Bachelor's in 2006.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by At1withnature
Does anyone else notice a profound liberal slant within the actual course material that our students are forced to pound into their heads in order to get A's? I am working on a 2nd degree and have been astounded by the amount of literature that promotes, outwardly, CNN and other liberal trends. I think it would be wise to check out your daughter's and son's textbooks and course material every now and then. If nothing else, you'll find it interesting to see where today's education is leading tomorrow's leaders and followers. And it is undeniable that they are leading them down a liberal path. The question is Why?
Well, most of my profs didn't give any bias because they were too busy teaching. The professors who DID express their opinions in class were all liberal, but they weren't "indoctrinating" us--to me, they were just giving their views, and I could take it or leave it at will. As for materials--didn't see any pro-liberal material. For the record, I was much more conservative IN college than I am now--now that I'm in the real world, and I'm still conservative in some areas.....I find it really funny that people claim our educational system brainwashes kids when Americans voted Republican, more or less, for thirty years.

From personal experience, the only people who supported my decision to be a teacher are liberals, while conservative responses range from bemusement ("Whatever floats your boat, buddy") to suspicion ("Oh you work for those 'government schools') to resentment ("So you're one of those who sucks up our tax money!")

I think there's definitely an anti-intellectual undercurrent in the far right, where people who are highly educated are looked on with suspicion. When I'm around republicans I feel like I have to defend what I do for a living as if what I do has little value to society.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by ViewFromThePeak
Fortunately, we have an outstanding political science chairperson at Duke, Mike Munger, who's a pretty hard core libertarian and regularly schools the NC State economics professors on NPR.

Most of the engineering faculty at NC State are also fairly conservative, realizing that industry pays many of their wages and ultimately purchases our research results.
Really? a libertarian? I only had one libertarian prof--taught government, and did a really good job.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Really? a libertarian? I only had one libertarian prof--taught government, and did a really good job.
One of the machine learning/AI profs here is libertarian. Brilliant individual. I'm happy that many in the fields of study requiring actual empirical evidence to prove or disprove theories are to the right, as opposed to esoteric hand waving fields such as economics or sociology.

Mike Munger also ran for governor of NC but being in a 3rd party in a highly contested state, only got 3-5% of the vote. Raised a lot of awareness, however.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times
Its funny whenever i point this out to a liberal they flat out deny any bias..
Regarding college course's or extreme left professors.
Noone has mentioned what happens to a college student who is openly..
Conservative on a college campus.Speak out and your grade could be lowered.
Its happened to many students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies