Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Oh the hypocrisy of it all... It is so refreshing to have a President such as Obama be held accountable. Obama did call the Chairman of the Special Olympics after he mispoke to apologize. Again, you CONservatives just literally crack me up! You keep finding religion it's astonishing. I want to know how well Bush and his administration funded special children/adults or the like programs, please educate me? He didn't
George W. Bush:
Date: 2/1/01 10:00AM

My Administration is committed to tearing down these barriers. In that spirit, I am sending to Congress my "New Freedom Initiative" – an important step forward in disability rights.
These proposals will help ensure that all Americans with disabilities have the tools to use their skills, and make more of their own choices.
The New Freedom Initiative will increase investment in and access to assistive technologies and a quality education, and help integrate Americans with disabilities into the workforce and into community life.

I look forward to working together with Congress to enact these proposals, and to ensure that every American with a disability has access to the American dream.

JAN: Freedom Initiative (http://www.jan.wvu.edu/empl/freedom.htm - broken link)

President Bush signs ADA amendments
On Sept. 25, President George W. Bush signed landmark civil rights legislation that extended the reach of the Americans with Disabilities Act. He was joined by his father, President George H.W. Bush, who signed the original ADA Act in 1990. Andrew Imparato, the president of the American Association of People with Disabilities, called this “the most important piece of disability legislation since the enactment of the ADA in 1990.”

Court says NCLB trumps special education law
The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) has its good sides and bad sides. In one discouraging development, a federal appeals court in Chicago in February ruled that mandates under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act “must give way” to the provisions of NCLB since it is a newer law. Two Illinois school districts and four families had claimed that NCLB’s testing requirements conflicted with the mandate for individualized education programs. The districts has missed targets for progress largely because of poor performance by students with disabilities, which NCLB says has be counted in efforts to hold schools accountable. The National Council on Disability released a report (http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/2008/NoChildLeftBehind_IDEA_Progress_Report.html - broken link) in January 2008 saying NCLB has benefited students with special needs.

http://specialneeds08.blogspot.com/2008/12/special-needs-year-in-review.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
So i guess you haven't watched CNN and MSNBC

I dont watch cable news channels... I read the newspaper and online to get news.

I did look at CNN.com and found no articles talking about this on the home page, except one.

Special Olympics takes on use of 'R-word' - CNN.com

Article is titled "special olympics take on use of R-word" and Obama isnt even mentioned until the 9th paragraph....

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Dukester and GiantRutgersfan... You are both pwned...A Rick roll is in order I believe.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,580 times
Quote:
Why are all CONservatives racist? Really I'd like to know why you mouthbreeders are just that, racist and so ignorant.

Why does Obama hate handicapped people?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont watch cable news channels... I read the newspaper and online to get news.

I did look at CNN.com and found no articles talking about this on the home page, except one.

Special Olympics takes on use of 'R-word' - CNN.com

Article is titled "special olympics take on use of R-word" and Obama isnt even mentioned until the 9th paragraph....

here you go.

Obama sorry for Special Olympics gaffe - White House- msnbc.com

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Obama apologizes for Special Olympics comment « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Oh the hypocrisy of it all... It is so refreshing to have a President such as Obama be held accountable. Obama did call the Chairman of the Special Olympics after he mispoke to apologize. Again, you CONservatives just literally crack me up! You keep finding religion it's astonishing. I want to know how well Bush and his administration funded special children/adults or the like programs, please educate me? He didn't
If you are talking to me, I'm a dem who voted for Obama.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I honestly don't care that he said that... But i find it very hypocritical that no one in the media even mentions this at all, but if George W said the same thing, it would be a big deal.... Huge double standard is all that i am saying.

YouTube - Barack Obama "Special Olympics" Comment On Leno - 03/19/09

^video clip of what we are talking about
msnbc.com Video Player

Andrea Mitchell interviewed the head of the special olympics on MSNBC today.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Why does Obama hate handicapped people?

WHAT?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,668 times
It doesn't happen often, but I give Obama a pass on this one. I'm so tired of all this nutty politically correct nonsense. He didn't mean anything by it and everyone has to chill and get a little less sensitive.

There are so many more important things to be upset about with this man ... too numerous to even begin. This isn't one of them.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
WHAT?
You didn't seem to have a problem with this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester
Why are all CONservatives racist? Really I'd like to know why you mouthbreeders are just that, racist and so ignorant.

Guess it meets with your approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies