Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was younger.....and growing up in a beach area....I starved all winter to make sure I would look 'magazine perfect' in a bikini. Now I'm 50 and I so regret that I let the media determine how I was supposed to look. I was miserable and self conscious for YEARS.... what a pile of crap! All this 'weigh less than 100 pounds' is garbage. That isn't a woman or a mom.....that is a starved human being who is being emotionally manipulated.

My daughter had a plumper frame. She is proud of herself......and I'm proud of her too. She is a beautiful healthy young woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
we have an obesity crisis in the UK, health chiefs want obesity reclassified as a disease not a lifestyle choice, probably be better if you gave them cooking and diet lessons!!! eat less and move more.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:54 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've been taking the stairs at work twice a day for the past month. Twice a shift I have to check equipment on three different floors, one of which is the roof. I started off easy. Though it's 11 floors, there's a floor between 1 and 2. I go up two flights, check equipment, up two flights, check equipment, elevator to 9th, stairs to roof, then stairs back down. Each shift I take the elevator to a lower floor. I'm down to 6th floor to the roof and back down. My goal is to not take the elevator at all. Exercising outdoors in the spring/summer is out of the question here in south Louisiana especially in my current condition. Some do jog in the heat but they usually wait until early morning hours when the temperature is lower but the humidity can be 100% and that's no exageration. I wonder what amount of time that student spends online, playing video games, watching TV, or textmessaging? I'm sure she could find 20 minutes a day for a stroll or some other form of exercise.
Wow. My youngest kid (late 20s) does the Hustle up the Hancock (Chicago) for charity 94 flight stair race every year. Finishes in less than 30 minutes. I guess everyone's perception of exercise and fitness is relative.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Get a job where you stay active...park further away from the store entrance, or walk there. It's easy to find time to exercise. I don't even own a car.
I ALWAYS do this. And not just at the store. I do that everywhere I have to park and go inside. There are so many people that though not actually handicapped, just can't make the same long trek that I can. And I enjoy the time to myself, observing the surroundings and thinking about whatever I want.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:05 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Most overweight people don't claim to be too overweight to work, so this one family can't be the cause of the stigma against overweight people. Try again

Old 01-06-2019, 07:23 AM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
3,000 calories a day is a HUGE amount of food. I could rarely if ever eat that in a day. That's the equivalent of 6 big macs a day or two per meal.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:25 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
It's one of the last groups where people think it's acceptable to mock them.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
we have an obesity crisis in the UK, health chiefs want obesity reclassified as a disease not a lifestyle choice, probably be better if you gave them cooking and diet lessons!!! eat less and move more.
How deeply did you have to dig to find this old fossil of a thread? That's no reflection on my feelings about the issue, just wonder at how you did it. I find it challenging to keep up with what's been posted here in a single week.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Most overweight people don't claim to be too overweight to work, so this one family can't be the cause of the stigma against overweight people. Try again
The thread is ten years old.

As for family, they bulk of the benefits they received were in relation to ill health including epilespsy a neurological disorder usually related to scarring in the brain rather than obesity.

They also had diabetes which is related to obesity, however they were offered gastric surgery, but the father couldn't receive it because he had heart problems.

Obesity treatment is about to radically change with the launch of the new drug lorecaserin, and this might has some bearing in relation to the future clinical treatment of obesity and it's definition.

Weight-loss pill hailed as 'holy grail' in fight against obesity | The Guardian

Weight-loss drug lorcaserin found to be safe in new study - BBC News

It also should be noted that contrary to many inaccurate reports we are not eating more calories or sugar, indeed both have significantly reduced over the last 30 years. The problem is more to do with a move towards less activity whether in the work place or in relation to exercise generally.

The UK's calorie consumption keeps falling - but we're getting fatter: Obesity crusaders are only focusing on calories-in rather than calories-out - City AM

Inactivity, not calorie consumption, behind rising obesity in the UK - Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA)

In terms of childhood obesity it's not really increasing at all, and many argue that the statistics used actually overstate the real levels.

Childhood obesity is a fake epidemic - Health -The Spectator

One fact the sugar tax report misses out: our consumption has been falling for years - Health - The Spectator

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-06-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-06-2019, 07:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
3,000 calories a day is a HUGE amount of food. I could rarely if ever eat that in a day. That's the equivalent of 6 big macs a day or two per meal.
It's not a huge amount of food. A medium Big Mac Meal has 1080 calories.

I bought some cookies and 2 had 200 calories so if you eat 10 cookies that's 1000 calories.

Some snack cakes have over 700 calories alone.

A donut has 200 calories of more and you can eat it in 30 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies