Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am writing this post because I was curious about your thoughts and ideas on welfare. So, if you could write a bill about welfare, what would you include? You can even say "It is fine the way it is". As for me, I would change it.

First of all, one of the requirements would be that you have to be actively seeking a job. My hope would be that this eliminates some of the people who abuse the system and just sit at home without working. At the end of the month, they are to show me where and when they applied to a place for a job.

Second of all, I would determine the amount of money you get per month based on your family-This means that if you (or wife) gets pregnant AFTER we talked about welfare, it will stay the same. Hopefully, this will eliminate the people who have kids on purpose to get more money.

Third of all, I think the technology in welfare offices is very....old. I would invest for some money in federal welfare asking for technology in which you can check what the people on welfare are buying. To my knowledge, they just give you a card and it tells you the amount they spent on it. I would check up on each and every charge. At the end of each month, the person on welfare is to show me receipt. The computer can make sure the receipt matches up. If not, they owe the government the money. Hopefully this will eliminate the people who try to buy Xbox 360 on the welfare card. I have seen people try that. I have seen people try to buy bath and body works cream on it. It pisses me off.

Hmmm....this is all I can think of. Thanks and feel free to add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:11 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,812 times
There are those that need it and those that abuse it. The ones that need it I agree, they need to show they are actively looking for work. Unfortunately people will find a way to abuse that system as well. They will put in tons of applications, but will deny the job for the almighty government money. Also showing where things went on your card wont help either. People sale theirs all the time to other people. I think it should be like CC's, no ID, no purchase.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:22 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
There are those that need it and those that abuse it. The ones that need it I agree, they need to show they are actively looking for work. Unfortunately people will find a way to abuse that system as well. They will put in tons of applications, but will deny the job for the almighty government money. Also showing where things went on your card wont help either. People sale theirs all the time to other people. I think it should be like CC's, no ID, no purchase.
Oh, I totally agree with you. There are people who need it and by no means should hard working citizens be denied help if they fall upon unfortunate circumstances. Also, I did not understand what you wrote. I bolded that part. Please explain. Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I would like to see EVERY SINGLE PERSON on welfare/foodstamps and even unemployment (I've been on unemployment, I'm definitely not knocking it) get random and frequent drug tests. I had a friend on unemployment who REFUSED to stop smoking weed, and was declined for many jobs based on his inability to pass a drug test.

I think that would get rid of a LOT of people.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Oh wow, my spelling is horrendous today. What I was getting at, is people sell their cards all the time. So the receipts can be forged, or not what they actually spent it on. They sold their stamps/card for cash money and all they need to do is get the receipt from who they sold it to.

Also, Jet... very very good point. I think that would cut down a lot of the crap. I also have heard of people selling their stamps for cash and buying drugs with it. It sickens me the amount of no account losers that abuse the system. I have had to be on stamps/government support before. I was in a horrendous car accident and unable to work for almost 2 years. We got by because of the help. I am happy to say we no longer need it, and I also donate a box of food a week to churches to help the needy. It is my way of repaying what I have received to help when I needed it.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
There just aren't that many people on welfare and every person has a strict life time limit of just two years (over their entire life span). The total number of people on welfare is 1/5 of what it was before Clinton reformed it and the people on it are constantly changing because of the strict requirements and life time caps. There just isn't much of a problem here on this issue since Clinton reformed it back in the mid 1990's.

Republicans like to pretend the last 15 years haven't happened though because when Clinton reformed welfare he took away one of their biggest talking points. Personally I prefer to deal with facts and reality but it seems some other people prefer strawman arguments.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM

Are you saying you would put a 2 year limit on them? Or there is a 2 year limit at this time? If so, I know plenty of people that have been on it a lot longer than that lol. And yes I have reported them for defrauding the state. They claim more than live in their home, etc... . I am not ashamed to say I have turned those deadbeats in. I have no love for people living off of others hard work.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,329,449 times
Not totally sure how to accomplish this. But somehow we need to make it less desirable to be on Welfare than to work. No sleeping in. Everybody gets up gets dressed and goes to "work".

"Work" ? could be reporting to centers where they get sent on job referrals and/or job training, GED etc.. The center could also provide community services like litter cleanup. The bottom line is you have to show up for eight hours and do "something" or you dont get paid for that day. This would also cut down on double dipping. Working under the table would be a lot harder.

If people had to work for their Welfare they might decide it was less work to get a real job. Also some people only know Welfare and have never learned how to get up and go to work. This would be good training for them.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Wow well said Cecilia well said. Rep to you

Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Bill HR-Getoffyourass101
2 years of Governement help in a lifetime. That's it. That's the limit. Mooch off relatives after that. B-bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies