Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,988 times

Advertisements

A heated topic as always, I'm sure, but let's try to keep it civil and to the best of our abilities...factual...

I have read a lot of threads and posts concerning the current welfare system in the US, and it seems that a lot of people complain very loudly about welfare and it's recipients, but rarely offer any ideas about changes that could be made to both cut costs and still provide some level of support (financially and other) for those people/families that are unable to fully support themselves financially. So now I'm asking. If you could have the power to reform social welfare, what would be different, and to whom would it apply?

Would you eliminate food stamps, AFDC/TANF, Medicaid, Free/reduced lunch, WIC, job training, HUD? Bring back "poor farms"? Offer different benefits? Require adult recipients of all ages (including senior citizens) to work at least one full time job, if not 2? Remove children from homes that are struggling financially? Offer free child care for parents who are working full-time but still need help? Increase the ratio of workers to recipients, or even switch to the home-visiting model where the worker actually goes to the homes on a regular basis? Severely limit or increase the duration of time a person could recieve help? Seek funding/restitution from the recipients family members (parents, siblings, adult children..)? Put all social welfare into the hands of private/civic/religious organizations? Raise the federal poverty level so that more families could qualify for aid? Enforce mandatory sterilization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I would get rid of it... can't find a job... I'll make one for you... right now we need to build a wall along the southern border with mexico... anyone interested? No? No surprises there..

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,539,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I would get rid of it... can't find a job... I'll make one for you... right now we need to build a wall along the southern border with mexico... anyone interested? No? No surprises there..
Ditto. Take away incentives for not working, and people will start.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
I would make every person work for thier welfare, cleaning the roads and parks and such, I would stop the food stamps and make them get thier food as it used to be at a welfre store, no brand name foods, they would get thier basic needs taken care of and thats it. i would give them an incentive to work. the number of children would not affect your benifites. No cash for drugs, smokes or booze. housing would be large apartment complexes which they would maintain.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,110 times
1: Subsidize single parents for 2-4 years while they get a mandatory technical or college degree. Beneficiary must maintain a solid 2.5 gradepoint average to retain benefits. Childcare subsidized during this time.

2: Flat benefit amount, subsidy based on family of four. No extra benefits for producing extra children.

3: Require beneficiaries to work or to attend school (see #1 above). If they do not attend school, or if they do not maintain their gpa, they must work, even if it is picking up trash along the roadway. In this case benefits limited to a maximum of 2 years. Childcare subsidized.

4: Once someone has drawn their 2-4 years of benefits, they cannot draw benefits again for at least ten years past the last date of money received.

5: Offer monetary incentives for sterilization.

That's for starters, I'm sure there are loopholes that would have to be addressed.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,306 times
Why not start at the top? Let's put an end to ALL corporate welfare.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Why not start at the top? Let's put an end to ALL corporate welfare.

Yes,backfist, isn't it soooo easy to pick on those less fortunate while quivering in abject fear of those "welfare" recipients who are rolling in money?

Off-shore corporations who pay no taxes(and all the other corporate loopholes), sucking off tax paying Americans.....OH NO let's tip-toe delicately around THAT but let's come down hard on the poor struggling Americans many of whom DO and DID pay taxes when they could find a job.

Some here wish to even punish the children of the poor !!! Like it's their fault they were born poor! And if they are unfortunate enough to have too many older siblings they should starve!
In the "Greatest Country in the World".

"""I would get rid of it... can't find a job... I'll make one for you"""

You better get busy creating those jobs , the unemployment rate is rising... ...and don't forget the jobless who have degrees ! There's plenty of those!

The $$$ amount paid to people on welfare is a drop in the bucket compared to what Corporate America is STEALING but don't, whatever you do, raise your voices against the wealthy !

Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
I'm all for ending most dependence on the state, but what about those who are unable to work? There are people who are mentally and physically incapable of working.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM

214 posts, read 474,112 times
Start at the top . Lock up all CEOs who send our jobs out of country and hire criminals who break into our borders .

Get our leaders off the special peviledge programs and they only get raises when the rest of us do . Their spouses do not get huge retirement packages just for being a spouse of one of our ' sevants ' .

Bring back chain gangs . Put all the men who don't support their kids in prison along with the women who abandon them .

No more free nursery for married women or women who make over 30,000 a yr..

Prosecute all militant lobbist and the officials who benefit from them for conspircy to bribe officials .

Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
For starters, anyone that is in this country illegally gets nada. And anyone that offers that person housing or a job gets hit with a $25,000 fine for the first offense. There would be a mass exodus of them crossing back over the border to where they came. Now that we've taken care of roughly 20 million people, at least half that are sucking he financial life out of this country, we can start to take care of our own.

Making credit card or vehicle payments? No welfare or food stamps. I've driven $500 cars. My son is driving a $500 car. Save up 2 months payments and your car is paid for. Can't bear to live without the new living room furniture so you pop that on a credit card? Grow up. Just because you put yourself deep in debt doesn't mean I should support you.

So, there's a huge difference.

Now let's take care of those that need help. Get them an education if they don't have it. The billions we've already saved can easily help out there. We're hurting in the medical field in this country. Start training those on public assistance there. Get them into public housing. Very tiny small apartments. It's cheap to house them while they attend school. So we support them with housing, food, utilities for a year. Period. Then they get a month to find a job and start paying their own way and have 6 months to find their own housing. Within a year and a half you've got someone weaned off the system.

Next we need to get rid of the entitlement attitude we have in this country. For some reason more and more people seem to think we 'owe' them for whatever reason. Sorry, but in my opinion, the only people we owe a thing to are those in the military and emergency services that are putting their lives on the line to make sure we can sleep safe at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies