Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,299,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon3475 View Post
soros is that you?

ROFL, that is beyond funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Those are deductions, actually. Deductibles you'll find in an insurance policy..
The wrong word might have been used, it doesnt change the argument
Quote:
Deductions or no, nobody pays an effective rate that is equal to their marginal rate
Except the poor, who actually get more then they pay.
Quote:
Childish, as I noted before. The issue is tax policy. Try to stick to it.
Wait, your the one who changed the topic and then you call me "childish" for pointing out the facts in your own thread?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who was it taken from? In the event your math is very bad, the top pay more under Bush's plan, not less, and in fact, the bottom 50% only pay 3.46% of all taxes. In addition, Bush raised funding for seniors and the poor, entered the White House as a fiscal conservative, left a liberal spender..
It was taken from the non-rich people who were handed peanuts out of the Bushie tax cuts while already wealthy folks were showered with largesse.

No, my math is fine. And the average effective tax rate paid by the top 1% fell under Bushie from a little over 25 cents to less than 21 cents on the dollar. Meanwhile, their share of all the income went from 18% to 23%. Wow. Tough breaks for them, eh? More income. Lower taxes. That must have hurt.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,377,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
There are plenty of right offs and with good income there can be tax shelters inwhich to invest your money..
Oh I agree there certainly must be if you have a big enough income, but not for the average business owner.

Quote:
No one ever strives to live in a class beyond what they were raised in.
I was a little stunned by that statement.
I know a lot of people who strive to live in a class above that in which they were raised.
My Mom grew up dirt poor (some days only dandelions for dinner) - she strove for a better life. I grew up on the low end of middle-class - strove for a better life. Are we unusual from the norm?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,302 times
Quote:
It was taken from the non-rich people who were handed peanuts out of the Bushie tax cuts while already wealthy folks were showered with largesse.

No, my math is fine. And the average effective tax rate paid by the top 1% fell under Bushie from a little over 25 cents to less than 21 cents on the dollar. Meanwhile, their share of all the income went from 18% to 23%. Wow. Tough breaks for them, eh? More income. Lower taxes. That must have hurt.
To say that the rich are 'over taxed' is so ridiculous and self serving...

I think the only people who push that crap are the top 1% - and who cares what they think - we outnumber them and have political clout...

Almost every single thing I've read indicates the lopsided income inequality in this country is the worst it has been since the 1920s - just before the Great Depression and the New Deal...

Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
My situation is illustrative. And you still haven't answered as to whether 20 cents on the dollar is such a terrible thing.?
20% is a terrible thing when your avoiding the real question, why should you be paying 20% when others are not only paying 0% but receiving a check for their lack of willing or ability to earn more?
Quote:
They are all laughing over people whose entire incomes are smaller than our taxes and still think we have it really tough. I can go out and drop $500 on dinner and not think anything of it. Can you?
I "Could", but I live within my means, if your rich enough to pay more and help those less fortunate, I'll be more than willing to send you my address, you can buy me dinner.

p.s., didnt you just call me "childish" for getting off topic, tell me your dinner expense isnt "off topic".. Maybe I should be "childish" and stoop to calling you names in return.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Only a liberal can say that someone whos handed anything is having stuff "taken away from"..

How exactly does that work? Government hands "the poor" more, but its stealing from them? I suppose all of those seniors who no longer need to pay for their pescriptions they couldnt pay for before are more greatful then you, after all, you can afford $500 for a dinner..

Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Oh I agree there certainly must be if you have a big enough income, but not for the average business owner.

I was a little stunned by that statement.
I know a lot of people who strive to live in a class above that in which they were raised.
My Mom grew up dirt poor (some days only dandelions for dinner) - she strove for a better life. I grew up on the low end of middle-class - strove for a better life. Are we unusual from the norm?

No, but if you are too successful, according to many on this forum, you need to be punished. Because, obviously your success is somehow unfair and you are an exploiter. My opinion is that most of the folks on here castigating the "wealthy" are themselves probably fairly incompetent and are just filled with a rage because, in their lights, things are unfair.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
So you don' t have to pay city tax, state tax, SS tax , medicare, like the rest of us do.
No city tax. County tax, though.

Quote:
If you are in the top 1% as you claim ("I'm in the top tax bracket") then I am sure your income tax is not just 20% of your AGI.
Yes, I'm in the top 1%, and last year the final bill was a little under 20% of AGI. It would have been a little over in most recent years.

Quote:
]Oh and BTW......I have great news for you! There is a box you can check on your 1040 that you can give extra money. It's a volunteer thing. You must have missed that little tidbit of info. You still have time, April 15th isn't here yet
Well, I doubt I'll file the 1040 until August, but there certainly isn't such a box on my 1040. You can send $3 of your taxes to the Presidential campaign fund. You can apply all or part of your past year refund to your current year estimated taxes. That's about it on the form they send me.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
You're funny. The only people "stealing" anything are the people who pay the most taxes. And most of them pay less tax than I do. They have the loopholes. I don't.

so if you are paying $10,000 a year in taxes and a rich person is paying $300,000 a year in taxes, they are paying less than you do.

right..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies