Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

Safe for whom? Certainly not children, as their laws on pedophilia and sexual predators are softer then cottonelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Safe for whom? Certainly not children, as their laws on pedophilia and sexual predators are softer then cottonelle.
This does not correlate with the numbers for child abuse.

Perhaps the homogeneous culture and self-sufficiency mollifies the temptation to act on one's perverse animal instincts?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
This does not correlate with the numbers for child abuse.

Perhaps the homogeneous culture and self-sufficiency mollifies the temptation to act on one's perverse animal instincts?
Care to elaborate?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I think the correlation lies between poverty and crime NOT minorites.
During the Great Depression of the 1930s and 40s, poverty was MUCH worse than it is now... but crime was much less. And most violent crime, was rumrunning gangsters shooting each other (plus innocent bystanders), not disgruntled citizens.

And guns could be bought by anybody, from the local hardware store, from the Sears catalog, etc. No "background check", no waiting period, and it had been that way for many, many years.

And crime was low, at levels we'd love to have today.

The correleation between poverty and crime is nil. Crime comes from other factors (one of which I just mentioned), and is also prevented by other factors... one of which I just mentioned.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Imagine my surprise when I found this out--Vermont, the state with the second highest percentage of voters who voted for NObama! With all of the welfare-momma Obama supporters and pinko judges who let baby killers and father rapers out of jail with a slap on the wrist, how did this happen? I thought that God-fearing, straight laced, REAL American places like Louisiana and Mississippi would beat out those heathens ?

Vermont ranked 2nd safest state in nation; N.H. first - Brattleboro Reformer
I didn't realize states were not real. Are you saying it's an imaginary state? Is the land there not real? Are the people wisps of air? Please elaborate w/us on your definition of real, I'm sure it'll be simply scintillating.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
During the Great Depression of the 1930s and 40s, poverty was MUCH worse than it is now... but crime was much less. And most violent crime, was rumrunning gangsters shooting each other (plus innocent bystanders), not disgruntled citizens.

And guns could be bought by anybody, from the local hardware store, from the Sears catalog, etc. No "background check", no waiting period, and it had been that way for many, many years.

And crime was low, at levels we'd love to have today.

The correleation between poverty and crime is nil. Crime comes from other factors... one of which I just mentioned.
I would actually be very interested to see what crime was like back then. I'm not sure where a good place to look for the numbers would be.

Its hard to say for sure what the major causes of crime are, but race isn't it. This is a quote from the ops article. I live in NYC and I agree that its a very safe city including ,most minority neighborhoods.

Quote:
Krasney said, though, there are highly-ranked urban states as well. "New York City has a huge population but, per-capita, New York State has rather low crime rates," Krasney
said.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
I'm always surprised when Atlanta makes the top 10 for crime. Things seem to be going better but it is a 'center' for a drug cartel, FWIW. I support efforts to stop the distribution of illegal substances.

Geography always seems to be an issue.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
For one part it is so cold all the time that keeps the crims indoors. Second the illegal mexicans haven't infiltrated yet. Third like a lot of rural areas people have guns so a crims career probably wont last too long.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Its hard to say for sure what the major causes of crime are, but race isn't it. This is a quote from the ops article. I live in NYC and I agree that its a very safe city including ,most minority neighborhoods.

how can you say race isnt a factor.... 8x as many black males are in prison then whites, and 5x as many as hispanics. It might not be PC, but its the facts and people should not ignore these things, but change them

those are huge variances. As for NYC, it has a low crime rate because they have focused on reducing crime for about 20 years now and the city is so expensive that the rich are pretty much all who can afford it.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
how can you say race isnt a factor.... 8x as many black males are in prison then whites, and 5x as many as hispanics. It might not be PC, but its the facts and people should not ignore these things, but change them

those are huge variances. As for NYC, it has a low crime rate because they have focused on reducing crime for about 20 years now and the city is so expensive that the rich are pretty much all who can afford it.
Because I'm being realistic, the main causation of crime IMO is economic factors and its effects on the social enivornment. Minorities make up a large portion of the urban poora and therefore are more likely to fall into drugs or gangs as those things make up a large portion of their social environment.

What you said about NYC is pretty funny...I guess those rich NYers are picking up the garbage, and cleaning the Rooms in all those hotels? I guess all those people sitting behind the counters at those major retail stores in Times Square are really rolling in the dough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies