Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yay for you. Here's your cookie:

Experience - both with marijuana and other drugs, as well as with recovery programs and seeing its effects on people I knew before and after I stopped using.

Education - I've researched drug use quite a bit (both academically and.. socially ) and for any thinking person, there can be no doubt that marijuana can be very addictive. All the classic symptoms of addiction are there if you bother to look.

This is really off the topic, though. I shouldn't have bothered telling you that you were wrong. I withdraw my unintended thread derailment and will comment no further on this tangent.
So, then, you are a recovering alcoholic or addict?

I am, was cross addicted (booze and pills), and have 23 years of being clean and sober under my belt. August 11 will be 20 years since I had a cigarette.

I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone who had a true addiction to marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I really resent you trying to destroy my credibility by implying that only a doctor has any health knowledge.
Tough cookies, Kat. You first tried to destroy my doctor's credibility, and my own by suggesting that I selected a quack. If you're willing to make those kinds of accusations based on nothing other than my spotty recollection of a three minute conversation I had several years ago, you'd damn well better be prepared to accept some criticism for it.

Quote:
Here is a quote from the link you provided:
I read the article, Kat. I also never stated, "Gee! Smoking is GREAT for your health!", now did I?

The assertion - made by you - was that smoking has no positive effects, therefore my doctor must be a quack. I simply provided evidence to the contrary. I'm sorry if the bubble you live in has just been burst. Actually, no, I'm not. A reality check is good every once in a while.

Quote:
Not to mention Reuter's is hardly a reputable science source.
I know that I read the article, but I guess you didn't... In the very text you quoted from the article (note the bold words):

Quote:
"It is not our intent to promote smoking as a protective measure against Parkinson's disease," Evan L. Thacker from Harvard School of Public Health emphasized in comments to Reuters Health. "Obviously smoking has a multitude of negative consequences. Rather, we did this study to try to encourage other scientists...to consider the possibility that neuroprotective chemicals may be present in tobacco leaves."
Is the Harvard School of Public Health reputable enough for you?

Oh, and I guess you missed the other link I posted from the American Heart Association. Or are they also not reputable?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM

68 posts, read 168,894 times
Ok I posted by story a while back....here's more to it...
My Doctor, an OBGYN is aware of my smoking and how much I smoke (1/2 - 3/4 pk per day), and my weight gain when i tried to quit.
Here's his exact quote to me: It would be best if you could stop smoking altogether, but as long as you don't smoke any more than you do, you are probably fine....You are in good health, don't stop your regular check ups. The stress you were under and the weight gain you had when you were not smoking is just as unhealthy. So try to quit if you can, here are some support group pamplets....but don't stress over it. You are in great health.
That was the first check up after I stopped smoking and started back again.
Every yearly check up after that (3 so far) he says that you know I have to tell you "you need to quit smoking". I tell him, "Yes, I know". He smiles and pats me on the back, tells me "keep up the exercise and good eating habits, see you next year."
I have been seeing this doctor for 20 years, very reputable. He delivered both my children....if I see him out in a restarant, he calls me by name. He would be frank with me if he thought he needed to be.

Also, I have a smoker friend who was has breast cancer. She said her doctor told her "DO NOT TRY TO STOP SMOKING NOW....THE STRESS OF THAT WOULD BE WORSE THAN THE SMOKING".

I am not saying It is healthy to smoke or that smoking does not harm you...I'm just saying that there are some things that are worse than smoking, like extreme stress and obesity.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfriend View Post
My Doctor, an OBGYN is aware of my smoking and how much I smoke (1/2 - 3/4 pk per day), and my weight gain when i tried to quit.
Here's his exact quote to me: It would be best if you could stop smoking altogether, but as long as you don't smoke any more than you do, you are probably fine....You are in good health, don't stop your regular check ups. The stress you were under and the weight gain you had when you were not smoking is just as unhealthy. So try to quit if you can, here are some support group pamplets....but don't stress over it. You are in great health.
Every yearly check up after that (3 so far) he says that you know I have to tell you "you need to quit smoking". I tell him, "Yes, I know". He smiles and pats me on the back, tells me "keep up the exercise and good eating habits, see you next year."
I have been seeing this doctor for 20 years, very reputable. He delivered both my children....if I see him out in a restarant, he calls me by name. He would be frank with me if he thought he needed to be.

Also, I have a smoker friend who was has breast cancer. She said her doctor told her "DO NOT TRY TO STOP SMOKING NOW....THE STRESS OF THAT WOULD BE WORSE THAN THE SMOKING".

I am not saying It is healthy to smoke or that smoking does not harm you...I'm just saying that there are some things that are worse than smoking, like extreme stress and obesity.
Maybe the extreme stress would be less if folks would not take up the smoking habit to begin with.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Quote:
I doubt that any doctors prescribe smoking for ADHD; using it for such a purpose is akin to the mentally ill self-medicating with alcohol. Does it commonly happen? Yes. Is it a treatment? No.
Not smoking itself, but nicotine, usually in patch form. When I was a kid, that was one of the treatments they tried for me. They'd stick nicotine patches on my back where I couldn't reach them to take them off. It worked alright, but then they put me on stimulants. Those were the days...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Quote:
I believe that you are telling the truth but that makes me question your doctor's credentials if she actually prescribed smoking for any type of condition.
It's done with pot, especially with glaucoma and cancer patients. Many of the current pharma drugs don't work well for nausea control, and when you take those you have more symptoms that require more pills and the cycle continues. So, I don't think it's far fetched to prescribe cigarettes. Probably not common, though.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Not smoking itself, but nicotine, usually in patch form. When I was a kid, that was one of the treatments they tried for me. They'd stick nicotine patches on my back where I couldn't reach them to take them off. It worked alright, but then they put me on stimulants. Those were the days...
That makes more sense - nicotine IS a stimulant.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Tough cookies, Kat. You first tried to destroy my doctor's credibility, and my own by suggesting that I selected a quack. If you're willing to make those kinds of accusations based on nothing other than my spotty recollection of a three minute conversation I had several years ago, you'd damn well better be prepared to accept some criticism for it.

I read the article, Kat. I also never stated, "Gee! Smoking is GREAT for your health!", now did I?

The assertion - made by you - was that smoking has no positive effects, therefore my doctor must be a quack. I simply provided evidence to the contrary. I'm sorry if the bubble you live in has just been burst. Actually, no, I'm not. A reality check is good every once in a while.

I know that I read the article, but I guess you didn't... In the very text you quoted from the article (note the bold words):

Is the Harvard School of Public Health reputable enough for you?

Oh, and I guess you missed the other link I posted from the American Heart Association. Or are they also not reputable?
You're the one who posted that conversation with a doctor. It is hard to believe a medical doctor, who you think knows so much more than me, would be so stupid as to prescribe three cigarettes a day.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Question to all the smokers here....aren't you absolutely sick of it? I am.
Well if you are so sick of smoking, quit

Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfriend View Post

You can always find a doctor who will agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies