Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The majority of doctors believe in wearing helmets even when riding a bicycle. The arguments that radio guest presented against helmets are nonsense. So are most arguments against seat belts.
As are all the arguments against the freedom to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
Quote:
Smoking is a physical addiction. A smoker's body is addicted to nicotine, so when it gets the nicotine, it relaxes. Then the cycle starts all over again. That's it in a nutshell.
Hey no argument there Nurse Katiana! My argument is against the sweeping blanket statement that msconnie made about smoking not serving ANY purpose, least of all to the smoker. It does serve a purpose! I can't stand generalizations.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 AM

68 posts, read 168,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Cars are damaging, this is a fact. But the convenience factor is a positive. It has a domino effect. Get a car = get to work/school on time = don't get fired for poor attendance/get your kid to school on time/get to the hospital timely/etc.

Name a positive of smoking. (Hint: "it relaxes me" is not a valid answer.)
Ok this is why I continue to smoke:
First, I did not start until I was 35, going through a nasty divorce, and associating with co-workers who smoked.
I had been 30-50 lbs overweight since my mid-20's.
I worked very hard from age 35-40 to get the weight off and keep it off, and was very sucessful in losing 55+ lbs. I continued to smoke.
I decided to stop smoking and went to see my physician who prescribed CHANTIX. They way it works is you get a 4-week supply, you set your quit date, and begin taking the medication 1 week prior to your quit date. So I did that...and was very successful.
However, when my 4-week supply was up, the doctor required you to come into his office for a visit so he could make sure the medication was doing ok, etc.
When I went for my visit, 4 weeks after I started taking the med, and 3 weeks after I had stopped smoking.....I HAD GAINED 13 LBS.....
I was forwarned before I stopped smoking to be careful of weight gain, so I was really watching what I ate, snacking on healthy foods, suger-free candy, etc.....I STILL GAINED 13 LBS....MY METABOLISM COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN!

So, I made the decision that for me, being overweight was worse than smoking. I felt worse and was more unhealthy being overweight. The overweight years kept me from enjoying life with my children and getting out and doing things. My blood pressure remains on the low side, 110/80. And so does my cholesterol (130).

I never smoke in my house or car, or anyone elses, even if they do. I never smoke around my children or any children.
I do smoke in resturants that allow it if I am with other smokers. I feel there are plenty of non-smoking resturants and if it bothers someone that bad, they should go somewhere else.
You don't go to the Chicken Barn when you want Burgers, so why would you go to a resturant that allows smoking if you wanted non-smoking?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
My doctor says other wise. I believe him. I certainly think he is better informed in actual science and medical information then you are. In fact that is one of the reasons I smoke outside instead of inside where I would be subjecting my family to my smoke.
Doctors are human and susceptible to error like any other. Doctors often base their opinions on studies they read in medical journals. These studies are often the point of contention. Many studies operate on very weak test beds, use unethical mathematical methods and are highly assumptive in their conclusions.

A Medical Doctor is not a mathematician and many of the researchers out there publishing findings don't make the conclusions that their administrative summaries and journals assume from them.

The area of SHS and even FHS in many ways is highly politically motivated. If you really want the "truth" of these claims made by major organizations like the EPA, ACI, NLA, and so on, you must dig very deep down to the original research. There you will find where the evidence gets thin and is severely lacking.

Did you ever wonder how for instance research will often flip flop back and forth concerning various things associated with our health? One year coffee is good, the next it is bad and this is common with many areas of so called "scientific" research and the doctors opinions will vary and change according to these findings. In the end, a doctor is not a scientist, but a practitioner. They do not deal in absolute facts or certainty, but rather they must experiment with each approach on those they administer to. There is no one size fits all in medicine and those that proclaim so are merely looking to sell you something.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The area of SHS and even FHS in many ways is highly politically motivated. If you really want the "truth" of these claims made by major organizations like the EPA, ACI, NLA, and so on, you must dig very deep down to the original research. There you will find where the evidence gets thin and is severely lacking.
Okay, so where is this mystical "original" research? Do you work in the secret bowels of the National Institutes of Health?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Okay, so where is this mystical "original" research? Do you work in the secret bowels of the National Institutes of Health?

I'll believe it when I see it.
No, you believe it when you don't see it. That's been the problem all along in this thread...

Why don't YOU go find the study that you claim proves that SHS is bad. It's not up to us to prove a negative - if you're going to claim that it's unhealthy, the onus is on you to provide evidence supporting your claim.

Let's have it.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Hey no argument there Nurse Katiana! My argument is against the sweeping blanket statement that msconnie made about smoking not serving ANY purpose, least of all to the smoker. It does serve a purpose! I can't stand generalizations.
But if the smoker wasn't addicted to nicotine, somoking a cigarette wouldn't relax him/her.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,329 times
Quote:
But if the smoker wasn't addicted to nicotine, somoking a cigarette wouldn't relax him/her.
So, a drug has no effect unless a person is already addicted to it?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
My thoughts exactly. I'm not an alcoholic and I'm not addicted to alcohol, but one glass of wine relaxes me. I don't get the logic Katiana.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
No, nicotine is a stimulant. It only relaxes the addict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies