Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,580,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Not motorcylcles...regular bicycles.
Ahhh, yes. I bought a bike last year & they did ask me if I wanted to purchase a helmet, I told them no. I have only been on said bike ONCE since I bought it, how sad is that?? Anyway, that's another thing though, even though I wouldn't wear one, I personally think it is stupid of me to not wear one. You never know w/the crazy drivers out there nowadays, it could save your life. But I guess, that's another one that I'm still on the fence about, law wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:25 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,147,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Amazingly, I still have not come to a conclusion on what I think about seatbelt/helmet laws. It's a no-brainer that they save lives
Overall, they help more than they hurt, but they are not always beneficial.

When I was a baby, my dad was in an accident in the full size van we had. He got T-boned at an intersection - the other car slammed into the driver's door. If he had been wearing his seat belt, he would have lost at least his left leg - maybe both - or been killed. As it was, he was thrown into the passenger seat and walked away from the accident without any major injuries.

I think it should be left up to the person who's putting their life at risk. We don't need the government telling them what's best for them and forcing that choice.

This is getting way off topic though..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,962 times
Can we really stick it to people who drink? raise the tax way high so anyone who drinks can't even afford it. I am sure there are people who have suffered from drinkers, oh wait how about we raise the tax real high on people who speed? I am sure there are people who have suffered from speeders? Oh hold on, lets raise the tax on people who eat to much? I am sure there are people out there who has hurt their family by eating to much. Oh and I almost forgot, lets raise the taxes on people who think they know so much, I think there are people out there who have been hurt by them.

Come on people, every person in the world has a problem, should we heavily tax us all? There are people who drink and are responsible about it, there are people who drive and are responsible about it, there are people who eat and are responsible about it. There are people who smoke and are responsible about it. And please do not say how are they responsible they are killing themselves etc... so are the others I listed. Although the ones who think they know to much may only get a beating.

Last edited by Belinda_Cooperstone1; 04-24-2009 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,041,992 times
Quote:
It is on subject when one realizes that the anti-smoking nazis are the same ones who demanded the idiot helmets for riding bikes and the rest of the crap to protect people from themselves.
Except we don't care what happens to YOU guys ... We just want freedom from your foul-smelling, cancer-causing, disgusting, expelled cigarette smoke.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I actually did that today, I stopped at the liquor store to get my beloved Cabernet & on the way to my apartment I didn't use my seatbelt. However, it's only a few blocks. I actually feel very vulnerable when I don't wear it, I have now been a very staunch supporter of wearing seatbelts. To the point where I make all my passengers buckle up as soon as they get in, I just feel to scared to not wear one.
I feel the same way ... I feel so exposed without the seatbelt and cannot enjoy the ride.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I feel the same way ... I feel so exposed without the seatbelt and cannot enjoy the ride.

What kind of person needs a seatbelt AND airbags?

And a Bible.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,931,436 times
Quote:
Except we don't care what happens to YOU guys ... We just want freedom from your foul-smelling, cancer-causing, disgusting, expelled cigarette smoke.

Well, we knew that. Hell, the only people you care about is yourself because you certainly don't care about the constitution or the country.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,860 times
Quote:
Well, we knew that. Hell, the only people you care about is yourself because you certainly don't care about the constitution or the country.

You can't argue for complete freedom from responsibility to others AND interdependence at the same time.

Do you want people to leave you alone, or do you want people to care about you? YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
And you smokers care about those around you? HA!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,265,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky

Quote:
And you smokers care about those around you? HA!
That's just the addiction talking, Connie. Be gentle with him, and don't take it personally.

You don't mean a thing to an addict if it's time to get a fix and maintain so that withdrawal doesn't start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies