Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Dude, seriously, an awesome argument. Thank you! I have hit my forehead so many times when I hear about how more money is going towards roads & NOT towards mass transit. Today, I waited for half an hour for the bus to come, this was during PEAK commute time, at 4:30-5:00....in DOWNTOWN no less! I was more than pissed, to say the least. More needs to be given towards mass transit, I seriously can NOT understand the blacklash towards this. I guess if you live in very rural areas, then it doesn't make sense. But for larger cities like the one I live in? Yeah, it's imperative & for some reason, my state has their ass still in the Dark Ages...too afraid of change. It might huuuurrrrt them, chaaange is baaaad!
I have the exact same beef about the condition of public transit in LA County. You'd think that a major metropolitan area like LA would have more than adequate public transit but the car culture has a stronghold. Unfortunately in many areas in LA, it is the poor that utilizes public transit while everyone else clogs up the roadways with their vehicles. I am a strong proponent for mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I have the exact same beef about the condition of public transit in LA County. You'd think that a major metropolitan area like LA would have more than adequate public transit but the car culture has a stronghold. Unfortunately in many areas in LA, it is the poor that utilizes public transit while everyone else clogs up the roadways with their vehicles. I am a strong proponent for mass transit.
So apparently my frustration is felt round the nation. It's too bad really, I just do not understand it. I don't have a problem w/cars in all instances, but when someone is driving their car to go a couple blocks to get a coffee...well then, yes that poses a problem. I used to live on Brady Street, a really cool street here in Milwaukee, & you could walk & get whatever you wanted in a few blocks...groceries, alcohol, coffee, clothes, flowers, Walgreens. Anyway, I'll never forget, this one time the woman who lived underneath me was going to take her car to drive a BLOCK to Walgreens. Oh did I let her have it, she ended up walking there w/me.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you drive a car? Answer honestly! As I said last night, cars would only be replaced with buses, which also pollute, so I don't get your point.
It is true that buses pollute the air but at least 1 bus is better than 40+ extra vehicles on the road. Although I utilize public transit, I realize that for many, personal vehicles are their only realistic option for getting to A from B which is why they serve a purpose in society. Smoking serves ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE for anyone, especially the smokers themselves.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
It is true that buses pollute the air but at least 1 bus is better than 40+ extra vehicles on the road. Although I utilize public transit, I realize that for many, personal vehicles are their only realistic option for getting to A from B which is why they serve a purpose in society. Smoking serves ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE for anyone, especially the smokers themselves.
Smoking is relaxing for many smokers, a stress reliever.

Relaxation has a purpose. Just because it serves no purpose for you does not mean there is no purpose for them.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
So apparently my frustration is felt round the nation. It's too bad really, I just do not understand it. I don't have a problem w/cars in all instances, but when someone is driving their car to go a couple blocks to get a coffee...well then, yes that poses a problem. I used to live on Brady Street, a really cool street here in Milwaukee, & you could walk & get whatever you wanted in a few blocks...groceries, alcohol, coffee, clothes, flowers, Walgreens. Anyway, I'll never forget, this one time the woman who lived underneath me was going to take her car to drive a BLOCK to Walgreens. Oh did I let her have it, she ended up walking there w/me.
Oh I hear ya! I'm considering moving and I'm looking at more pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods where I can get most of my basic needs met through walking. I guess we finally found something that we both agree on.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people here are moving into the city out of the suburbs. They still have that "car syndrome" though. You want to hear some BS, though? Our transit, MARTA, was started back in the 70s by voting on a 1 percent sales tax to cover a certain area. Only two of the 5 proposed counties voted yes, but those other 3 STILL get a seat on the board of directors for MARTA. Let me remind you that those member's constituents don't want the system in their counties. How do you think those 3 out of 5 people are voting? The state refuses to fund it. They[MARTA] have a surplus fund from years of revenues, but they aren't allowed to use it because the STATE SAYS SO! They have the audacity to tell the system to support itself while saying they're not allowed to use their general fund. If they're going to tell the system to support itself, whatever, but they have no right to hang on to the purse straps.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Smoking is relaxing for many smokers, a stress reliever.

Relaxation has a purpose. Just because it serves no purpose for you does not mean there is no purpose for them.
Then why are most smokers I know all high-strung and tense? Apparently, their cigs aint relaxing them.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Oh I hear ya! I'm considering moving and I'm looking at more pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods where I can get most of my basic needs met through walking. I guess we finally found something that we both agree on.
Who would have thought? If you want a really pedestrian-friendly area, may I suggest Portland, Oregon? Apparently, that city is the best in terms of pedestrian/mass transit. I'd like to go visit one of these days.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Okay, now we are getting off topic, lol. We have to get back to government interference and smoking.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Then why are most smokers I know all high-strung and tense? Apparently, their cigs aint relaxing them.
You apparently don't know very many. As I recall, you don't want to be around them. They smoke to get rid of their tension. Why don't you sit around them while they smoke. You just might notice a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies