Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should The Phrase "Faux News" Be Banned From This Site?
Yes 42 28.97%
No 100 68.97%
Don't know/undecided 3 2.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,578 times

Advertisements

Man1: Did you hear that fox news was planning to change their name to reflect a shift to integrity?
Man2: Really?!!
Man1: yes, they plan to call themselves faux news.

The joke may have been funny the first 1000 times it was used, however the lol silence of late is deafening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,431,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't know how many forums you visit, but you are going to be disappointed. Every message board I post at, swearing is filtered out (as it should be).
I'm not saying I would swear (I wouldn't).

Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Man1: Did you hear that fox news was planning to change their name to reflect a shift to integrity?
Man2: Really?!!
Man1: yes, they plan to call themselves faux news.

The joke may have been funny the first 1000 times it was used, however the lol silence of late is deafening.
Liberals are easily amused.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
I'm not saying I would swear (I wouldn't).
But do you think it "violates the First Amendment" when forums don't allow swearing?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,431,815 times
Quote:
But do you think it "violates the First Amendment" when forums don't allow swearing?
Yes.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Nothing to cry about, really. Now if I was an MSNBC viewer, with their poor ratings (compared to Fox News), now there would be something to cry about!
Why are Faux News ratings so high?

It's because a huge number of Republicans are completely "obsessed" with tuning into Faux News every single day to obtain that day's Republican "talking points".

Republicans need Faux News to tell them how they should be "thinking" at that moment, and be told what their "opinions" on the issues should be for that day.

In contrast, liberals aren't "obsessed" with any particular news station, so we tune into whichever station suits us at the moment ... CNN, MSNBC, PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC.

So the liberal audience is divided over many different news channels, and ratings of each of these channels will reflect that they only have a small subset of the total liberal audience.

For example, assume you have 100 Republicans and 100 Liberals tuning into that days news, here is how the total audience will likely be divided:

Faux News - 100 Republicans, 0 Liberals

MSNBC - 30 Liberals
CNN - 30 Liberals
PBS - 10 Liberals
CBS - 10 Liberals
NBC - 10 Liberals
ABC - 10 Liberals

So does it now make sense of why Faux News leads in the ratings?

And remember .... Faux New Rules !!!

Last edited by RD5050; 04-06-2009 at 03:39 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
So does it now make sense of why Faux News leads in the ratings?
Do you even have a clue how broadcast ratings are determined? You're faux logic is just startling.

Quote:
Republicans need Faux News to tell them how they should be "thinking" at that moment, and be told what their "opinions" on the issues should be for that day.
Yes...after I get my call from Rush and I check the blogs, then I tune in FNC to see what I should think today. I think the medication needs a refill. Remember..follow the instructions on the label

Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yes...after I get my call from Rush and I check the blogs, then I tune in FNC to see what I should think today. I think the medication needs a refill. Remember..follow the instructions on the label
http://themoderatevoice.com/wordpress-engine/files/2008-december/oreilly.jpg (broken link)
"Take more Pharmaceuticals......Trust me....Take more Pharmaceuticals.... Obama hates America...."

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Do you even have a clue how broadcast ratings are determined?
It's quite apparent that you don't.

Quote:
When you talk to yourself, it's best to not do it out loud.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
When you talk to yourself, it's best to not do it out loud.
I'm talking to you....and you obviously hear me.

Why don't you explain to us how ratings are done and the statistical factors involved? It's not as simple or as skewed as your example tries to assert. Let's just look at one example...prime time slots. In your example, liberals must be watching reality network shows or CSI, while conservatives are all watching Bill O'Reilly. Your example implies that this overwhelming group of liberals are watching all these other outlets, while all the conservatives are gathered around en masse watching O'Reilly, thereby skewing the rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies