Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
They should allow the people of California to use the money they were able to bring to their economy for their economy. The people flock to where money is and cost of living will increase naturally and spread. "The people vote with their feet." But by taking money and redirecting it elsewhere you destroy the economic momentum and sustainability.
Well, as a Californian (how many of you people actually come from Cali?) I can say that we're wasting a lot more money from our tax dollars going to fund multiple wars we don't agree with while paying to subsidize people in other states. Let California keep its federal tax dollars and it would be in a perfect financial situation...it's the FEDERAL waste (mostly in the DoD) that has caused this country to collapse, not state waste. San Francisco is not going bankrupt and it's the most liberal city in America. Orange County, however, went bankrupt during a much better economic climate and it's a VERY conservative county.

If we're talking about the economy and not mentioning the FEDERAL WASTE, this is a pointless debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:29 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Couldn't tell you the last time I broke a lightbulb. I buy them for light, not to smash on the floor. Corporate goons and your electric company have scared you into not buying them.
Wow... what a foolish comment. Do you even think about where everyone's trash goes? Sorry to break it to you but it doesn't go to "garbage land" where rubbish just mystically disappears. Why don't you look up what your inefficient and toxic CFL bulbs are comprised of.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Well, as a Californian (how many of you people actually come from Cali?)
I do.

Quote:
I can say that we're wasting a lot more money from our tax dollars going to fund multiple wars we don't agree with while paying to subsidize people in other states. Let California keep its federal tax dollars and it would be in a perfect financial situation...
Really? Then why is the STATE bankrupt? You could make a case that individuals are having to spend too much for things you don't agree with via Federal taxes, but the state has its own economy - the California state government doesn't pay taxes to the Federal government.

Quote:
...multiple wars we don't agree with...
Speak for yourself only, please. There's a lot of California outside San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego, and most of the people in the rest of the state have very different views about a lot of things. If you really need proof, look back a few months at what happened re: Prop 8.

Quote:
San Francisco is not going bankrupt and it's the most liberal city in America. Orange County, however, went bankrupt during a much better economic climate and it's a VERY conservative county.
Apples and (California) Oranges. Implying that the political leanings of the residents of these two areas have anything to do with their financial situations is wholly dishonest, and you (should) know it.

Quote:
If we're talking about the economy and not mentioning the FEDERAL WASTE, this is a pointless debate.
No, it isn't, because how the STATE spends its money has NOTHING to do with how the Feds spend theirs.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Corporate goons and your electric company have scared you into not buying them.
Really? Here's one of those "evil" Electric companys that's willing to pay you to use them.

SCE - Energy Star® Lighting (http://www.sce.com/residential/rebates-savings/lighting/energy-star-lighting.htm - broken link)

http://www.sce.com/newlight/default.htm?from=lighting (broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I do.
Your location says "Las Vegas" so you're not in California or you're lying about your location...

Quote:
Really? Then why is the STATE bankrupt? You could make a case that individuals are having to spend too much for things you don't agree with via Federal taxes, but the state has its own economy - the California state government doesn't pay taxes to the Federal government.
It's GOING bankrupt and so are about 22 other states.

Quote:
Speak for yourself only, please. There's a lot of California outside San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego, and most of the people in the rest of the state have very different views about a lot of things. If you really need proof, look back a few months at what happened re: Prop 8.
The people of California have proven that they are against the war by overwhelmingly voting for people who do not support the war.

Quote:
Apples and (California) Oranges. Implying that the political leanings of the residents of these two areas have anything to do with their financial situations is wholly dishonest, and you (should) know it.
I know, my whole point was that the people saying that "Liberal politics" have led to this issue is not just dishonest, it's simply wrong. My point was to show that you cannot blam "Liberal Politics" for the economic crisis, especially since California has a Republican governor and plenty of conservative and liberal regions in just as much trouble as one another. That's why I mentioned Orange County and San Francisco.

Quote:
No, it isn't, because how the STATE spends its money has NOTHING to do with how the Feds spend theirs.
But when the state sends more money to the federal government than any other state, it cuts into the economy and we need to reduce Federal Spending for any state to have a chance at recovery.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Your location says "Las Vegas" so you're not in California or you're lying about your location...
Do you read the threads you post in? Try to keep up. I'll leave it to you to figure out what you missed.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM

382 posts, read 954,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I disagree, Arnold isn't a closet liberal, he simply hasn't a clue as to what he is doing.
We agree that he doesn't know what he is doing. Maybe Maria can get him some help from the Kennedys; they know alot about government.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you read the threads you post in? Try to keep up. I'll leave it to you to figure out what you missed.
What are you talking about?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
California has allowed refrendum government to cut taxes and increase spending with out Rayguns ability to continously borrow instead of tax. No wonder you are giong broke.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
U.S. ECONOMIC FREEDOM INDEX
The Pacific Research Institute's Economic Freedom Index measures the regulatory and fiscal obstacles imposed by each state on its residents. Variables measured for the study relate to fiscal burdens, regulatory practices, judicial systems, size of government, and welfare.

State:
California
Score:

Just The Facts - U.S. Economic Freedom Index - The Public Policy Institute

Hippie Justice.... Keep doing it even if it's failed over and over and over... I got a good idea add more government that'll solve it. And the more the planners plan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies