Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So please inform us of what he accomplished on this trip? I await the response with baited breath....
IF you can't see what we've accomplished.. then I feels sorry for you.

For one, we've opened a big dialogue with European nations.. as well as many others.. by showing that we acknowledge what we need to fix, change and do to move forward.

We may not have gotten more troops to be committed to Afghanistan.. but we have to put our money where our mouth is on that before I would expect any of them to commit..

Why?

Well..we had the world on our side when we went into Afghanistan.. and then we mucked it up by taking our eye of the ball and invading a country that had NOTHING to do whatsoever with 9/11.. the reason we were in Afghanistan in the first place and had the world behind us.

Then.. we went ahead and did it anyway. We got some allied troops only to botch the entire invasion by allowing the Afghanistan insurgents to bring that war into Iraq..

By focusing on Iraq we weakened our front in Afghanistan.

NOW.. we are getting out of Iraq and refocusing where it should have been all along..

They like what Obama is saying.. but they want to SEE it too before they back us up.. and I can't blame them.

The world is once again looking at us as the great nation that we are and NOT how they have been looking at us during the Bush years.. and THAT goes a long way for our economic recovery and for the rest of the world to have faith in America once again....

We've mended fences and have come quite a ways in the past few months..we have further to go.. but so far so good and we're on the right path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
TristansMommy,

They don't want to see the forest for the trees. They don't want to see how this is the beginning to greater things. Rome wasn't built in a day, but the foundation was laid. You can do nothing without first laying a good foundation, and that is just what Obama is doing - wisely, patiently, and incredibly swift.
Hey..I agree with certain things/approaches he has done/made. I just dont get all starry-eyed and dont feel like singing campfire songs just yet. I also strongly disagree with some things he has done. Unlike a lot here there will be no blind slobbing of Obama from this guy.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Best at what? using a telepromter? Obama is a clown and all the other nations know it. China will be the one most to gain from our Bozo as president.
That's the most intelligent reponse you can come up with - a misspelled teleprompter comment and calling him a "clown"?

Actually, he has unprecendented support worldwide as a leader who actually respects the world in which we live. I'm assuming you supported Bush, who was, in fact, perceived as a clown globally.

You're blinded by your partisan rage and just spewing tabloid talking points. Obama speaks off the cuff extremely eloquently and intelligently and is respected across the political spectrum for building power with others rather than power over others.

Welcome to the new century.

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
What he is doing is undoing all the havoc that Bush wrought. That takes some time to undo the eight year mess. And that, my friends, is a huge accomplishment. We could have gotten someone else in the WH and remained pretty much the status quo - either Repub or Demo.

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
TristansMommy,

They don't want to see the forest for the trees. They don't want to see how this is the beginning to greater things. Rome wasn't built in a day, but the foundation was laid. You can do nothing without first laying a good foundation, and that is just what Obama is doing - wisely, patiently, and incredibly swift.

Excellent post.. and absolutely correct. It took them 8 years to bring us (the Repubs and right wing policy) to this point.. yet expect it to be fixed in 2 months time. Quite unreasonable if you ask me. They sound more and more like a bunch of three year olds throwing a temper tantrum.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,812 times
It is WAYYYY to early to start critiquing Obama. We really won't realize the impact of his decisions today for a few months. Give it time. It's great that many foreign leaders seem to like him. Let's see how he plays that out first.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,319,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
"I know you are but what am I" - the never ending game ...
Thanks for playing.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Actually, he has unprecendented support worldwide as a leader who actually respects the world in which we live. I'm assuming you supported Bush, who was, in fact, perceived as a clown globally.

Any way of substantiating that?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Excellent post.. and absolutely correct. It took them 8 years to bring us (the Repubs and right wing policy) to this point.. yet expect it to be fixed in 2 months time. Quite unreasonable if you ask me. They sound more and more like a bunch of three year olds throwing a temper tantrum.

Says miss emotions.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,972 times
Quote:
quote=TristansMommy;8223814

What the hell is wrong with working together AS HUMAN BEINGS>> A HUMAN RACE to end the threat of nuclear war.. to end wars period

Wow.. some people can't get out of the past and look to a new future.
How do you propose that we end the threat of nuclear war?
Should we disarm? Because that is the only thing that we can do.
Do you believe that if we disarm, that North Korea is just going to say "Well that's wonderful, lets' follow suit"
Do you think Ahmedijad is going to give up trying to develop nukes? Do you think Pakistan is going to disarm?
Here are the whoppers: Do you think China or Russia will disarm?

The answer in a huge NO!
These countries will not only not disarm but they will start thinking of doing all those nasty things that the knowledge of a strong U.S. response prevented them from doing in the first place.

Bye Bye South Korea
Bye Bye Taiwan
Bye bye Israel
Etc., etc.

It's your kind of incredibe naivete' and one-world eutopianism that got this idiot elected in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies