Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:46 PM

355 posts, read 448,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Once upon a time, it was illegal for people of different races to marry.
Once upon a time, it was illegal for slaves to run away from their owners, and it was illegal to house and protect them after they ran away.
Once upon a time, only white male land-owners were allowed to vote and/or hold elected office.
Once upon a time, it was illegal for a certain sub-segment of our population to refuse to serve in the military.

In each of these cases, a 'minority' was given rights that had previously been denied.
In each of these cases, there were those who argued that the sanctity of home, hearth and country would be compromised and a 'degenerate' lifestyle embraced (particularly in the first case).

Are you saying that the 'majority' believes that these laws and others like them were/are just and fair?
If so, you have a very interesting way of defining equality.
One by one.

I believe it should still be illegal for people of different races to marry, but maybe the majority do not adhere to those beliefs. The majority is what should make the final decision.

Like it or not white males are the people that founded this country and fought and died for it. Whites were (and still are, but not for long) the majority in this country.

What do you mean by sub-segment? Homosexuals? It wasn't until the '90s when they were allowed into the military, but only under the guidelines of don't ask-don't tell. In other words a person is allowed to engage in a deviant lifestyle in private but not in public or on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,494,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Why should society be forced to tolerate things that are illegal, unconventional?
Without getting into judging your values, I think the basic thing you're upset with is the idea of a "changing world". But that's something we all have to deal with one way or another if we live in a modern western society, and want to enjoy all the conveniences and rights that come with it.

There are certainly other places where the culture and values never change, but I don't think you'd really like living there.

2,518 posts, read 2,359,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
How do you pretend to know the OP's motivation?

By equal do you mean a new definition of marriage to apply only to a subset of the population that doesn't like the previous version? Despite what the vast majority of the people want?

Or not allowing our country to have sovereignty over its own borders?
You know more people support gay marriages now than did interracial marriages during the Civil Rights era?

14,164 posts, read 27,315,808 times
Quote:
I expected that kind of irrational ignorant response without any specific answers to the questions I asked.

What is really amazing is how the leftists claim to be so tolerant of other viewpoints, but they quickly retort to name-calling, personal attacks, and bigoted labeling when they do not agree with viewpoints that are opposite of theirs.

Now can anybody else post responses in a dignified rational manner?
It's so funny when the right wingnuts want the left to tolerate their intolerance

Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,315,808 times
Quote:
One by one.

I believe it should still be illegal for people of different races to marry, but maybe the majority do not adhere to those beliefs. The majority is what should make the final decision.

Like it or not white males are the people that founded this country and fought and died for it. Whites were (and still are, but not for long) the majority in this country.

What do you mean by sub-segment? Homosexuals? It wasn't until the '90s when they were allowed into the military, but only under the guidelines of don't ask-don't tell. In other words a person is allowed to engage in a deviant lifestyle in private but not in public or on the job.

Good lord! You act like you're proud to be a bigot!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,359,265 times
Quote:
One by one.

And you lost what little shred of respectability you may have had left with that statement. You are a racist, a bigot and someone who has views that are a lot more in common with the KKK than with the Founding Fathers. Go back to your Klan meeting.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,255,810 times
Quote:
One by one.

No, that's not what the law's about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
And you lost what little shred of respectability you may have had left with that statement. You are a racist, a bigot and someone who has views that are a lot more in common with the KKK than with the Founding Fathers. Go back to your Klan meeting.
There was more!

Quote:

Only white people fought and died for for this country?!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM

25,845 posts, read 20,779,114 times
Quote:
One by one.

I honestly have no response to this, but, it does explain a lot.

Quote:
And you think that no people of 'color' fought and died in the Revolutionary War? You think that women didn't defend their homes and died in the effort?

Quote:
Simple - Males, within a specified age group. Women weren't drafted. Men over a certain age weren't drafted. In other words, a sub-segment of the population was targeted for induction whether they wanted it or not.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,668,770 times
Quote:
One by one.

By any chance did you name your son Adolph Hitler?
Tuesday, December 16th 2008, 5:27 PM

Happy birthday, Adolf Hitler! Boy with nazi leader's name denied ShopRite cake

Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM

355 posts, read 448,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Your 8 paragraphs of complaints -

1. Business pressure. If there were no jobs for illegal immigrants there'd be no illegal immigrants. You like capitalism, dont you?

2. I think your choices are to demand action from law enforcement, write your congressman, form or join a relevant association, run for office or run/support someone with your views for office, or take the law into your own hands. You're not helpless, you're not "forced to tolerate" (= not possible).

3. Dont deal with anyone who doesnt speak English then. You're not "forced" to.

4. Dont you like capitalism?

5. Gay people may feel the same way about you....not only gay people have AIDS....

6. Legislating based on prevailing popular opinion is infamously a bad, bad idea. Ah - "activist judges who legislate from the bench"! - yay, one of my favorite RW cliches. Judges interpret laws. It depends on how tightly the law is defined that gives judges leeway in interpretation. Dont understand the connection you make between legislation and gay people - sounds sinister though.

7. Examples? You mean, car emission inspections? Clean water?

8. There are plenty of things to criticize that have been bringing our standards down, but I think also you might be overdosing on fear propaganda. Other than the phone calls with people in India - capitalism, blame business - and maybe the immigants - also business - which of the issues affects you personally, directly?

A good antidote to artificial fear is expressed here.

American Rhetoric: Movie Speech from Network - Howard Beale The Mad Prophet of the Airwaves
(1) Any business that hires illegal immigrants should be fully prosecuted by both federal and state laws.

(2) I am forced to tolerate. If I took the law into my own hands to force others to tolerate my traditional viewpoints I would probably serve a longer prison term than the most hardened murderer. We law-abiding, church-going, English-speaking, legal citizens with traditional conservative viewpoints are labeled as the outcasts in these modern times.

(3) You obviously have not had the pleasure of dealing with people in the service fields that can barely utter a word of English. Have you dealt with overseas telephone representatives that handle your finances, your i.p. issues, and your personal information? I'm sure you have. I cannot understand them, and I do not wish to deal with them when I call for customer service. We are refused the option of speaking to somebody in the United States, and the overseas representatives begin speaking in manners that are highly unprofessional when we request somebody that we can comprehend!

(4) Heck yes, do you?

(5) I wish people would stop referring to homosexuals as gay. Gay means happy, merry, joyful. The homosexual lifestyle is dark, demented, and harmful, clearly the opposite of what gay traditionally means. AIDS was carried over to the United States by means of homosexual methods, and it spread to the heterosexual community by homosexuals with bisexual tendencies.

(6) This is why we have ballots so the citizens can decide what is acceptable in society. In the case of same-sex marriage the majority has clearly outruled what a few arrogant judges mandate. The true mandate rests with the registered voters.

(7) Banning black cars in California, wanting a complete end to nuclear, ending coal processing. Here's the biggie, refusing to explore offshore and arctic drilling, so that refusal has forced us to rely on the rag-headed Middle Easterners with terrorist ties for our oil supply. Absurdities such as those.

(8) All of the above affect me because I'm a law-abiding, clean-living legal citizen of society, as are the majority of Americans. When society's majority are forced to succumb to the unconventional ways of a few minorities in the name of equality, tolerance, diversity and political correctness, that creates injustice for the majority.

Agree or not your lives are affected by the millions of illegals, foreign-accented representatives in distant third-world nations, the outspoken homosexual-rights activists, the elite minority of judges, and a few rabid environmental wackos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies