Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM

25,867 posts, read 20,804,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Irrelevant.

Gay marriages are not a racial issue, or a human rights issue.

Nobody is denying anyone any rights. Homosexuals have the same right to marriage that anyone else does. They just want to be able to do it THEIR way.
And what way would that be exactly?

Quote:
Once again....pay attention:

NOBODY IS DENYING ANYONE THE RIGHT TO MARRY!!!!!!!!
Let me see if I've got this right - you're saying that gay people can legally marry the partner of their choice when and wherever they choose???

How ever did I miss that breaking news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,366,339 times
Quote:

I guess you didn't read yikes.... post.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,234,563 times
yikesamillion, the only society in which you could live is one where everybody thinks the same, just like you.
Who says you have to tolerate the things (people) you don't like? Don't you have any guns?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 PM

3,275 posts, read 5,218,107 times
Quote:
Irrelevant.

Nobody is denying anyone any rights. Homosexuals have the same right to marriage that anyone else does. They just want to be able to do it THEIR way.
Actually, I think it's painfully ironic how you say Gay marriage does not correlate with IR marriage and then proceed to use the exact same reasoning that opponents of IR marriage used. "Everyone has the same rights, straights can't marry same sex and gays can't" has the same ring to it as "Whites can't marry Blacks and Blacks can't marry Whites".

I think you're doing this whole equality thing incorrectly.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM

355 posts, read 448,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
True, the U.S. Constitution does not mention marriage, and it shouldn't. The constitution is the frame work on how our government is suppose to work. The legal aspect of marriage is made at the State level of government, having said this, again, no state can make a law that infringes upon the rights of any people or group, because these rights are protected by the U.S Constitution.
States have passed Constitutional amendments that mandate the true foundations of marriage, so your statement about states cannot make these kinds of laws is incorrect and irrelevant.

Marriage of no kind is protected by the United States Constitution, it is up to each individual state to define marriage. Based on this it is clear that marriage is continuously defined as the union between one man and one woman only, not man and man, not woman and woman, not one man and 3 women, not man and beast.

In no way is this denying homosexuals their civil rights. It is the traditional definition of marriage that has been completely accepted throughout the progression of mankind.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,339,922 times
Quote:
Irrelevant.

You know, you have the same rights as gay people in IA, VT, MA, and CT. You have the right to marry someone of the same sex, just like gay people do.

Yes, it is a human rights issue.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,363,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Why is it that the feds seem to know about the millions of illegal immigrants residing in this country but are unwilling to do much about the problem?

On that note why should the majority of those legal citizens be forced to tolerate migrants living here illegally and milking off the welfare system?

Why should the law-abiding citizens of this great country be made to tolerate the lazy minority that refuse to speak English fluently? Why should anybody who lives in the United States of America be getting by with not communicating in the language of the land, which is English?

Why must I be forced to speak with a foreign-accented representative from some third-world country who I can barely understand when I call for technical assistance or banking information? Why, when I ask to be transferred to a person in the United States, am I denied that option; and why is that considered intolerant or racist?
I will agree with you on most of the above points.

Quote:
Why must the majority be forced to tolerate abnormal lifstyles such as homosexuality? Why aren't the rabid quantity of AIDS cases and other STDs enough to convince people about the dangers to society when people engage in such degenerate methods?
While AIDS is not exclusively a gay disease and has been passed in non-sexual contact (unless you consider kissing, sexual). Since the initial carriers were involved in that kind of relationship, it was passed in that community. But what if the first carriers were not? (I still believe that the disease was a chemical weapon that got out of the lab....but that's me)

Quote:
Most of all, relative to the above issue, why do the majority of people have to sit on the sidelines and put up with an elite minority of high and mighty judges that legislate from their benches? Why is it okay when a judge ignores the basic foundations of society as well as the Constitution and makes a knee-jerk decision, but it's considered barbaric, homophobic, and backwoods when the majority of voters constitutionally approve bans on same-sex marriage?
When they agree with you they are alright wonderful all american judges, when they disagree they are high and mighty scoundrels. The basic foundation of our society supported slavery and segregation......we treated the rightful owners of the land as criminals, theifs and murderers as we murdered them and forced their children to un-learn their ways, their languages and their beliefs.

Quote:
Why do we all have to change the way we live and go green just to satisfy a small minority of outspoken doomsday environmentalists? Why can't this small group of activists change their ways and stop pushing legislation to affect the rest of our everyday lifestyles?
I'd rather have "them" be wrong, then "you" be wrong. What about you?
A minority of people tell us to eat healthy or we will die. I guess it's more double-quarter-pounders for you!!!

Quote:
Why have we allowed ourselves to be shoved into a politically-correct state of so-called tolerance of unorthodox ways? Society is crumbling around us thanks to all this wonderful diversity, and we sit on our hands and swallow it like castor oil. Can anybody explain the reasons in a rational manner without the usual bashing or name-calling?
It's called change. The 1600's were different then the 1700's. (and so on)
That is what this world is all about. Whether its some sort of game for the entertainment of higher lifeforms, or just un-godly evolution, there is nothing that anyone can do about it. Good, Bad or Disaster. The only motivators for our planet is Greed/Power. Figure a way to end those, and all your problems will be solved!!!!

Last edited by plannine; 04-07-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,339,922 times
Quote:

Could you please explain to me, not using religion as your crutch, why if you lived in one of the 4 states where same sex marriage is legal, you wouldn't marry someone of the same sex? Why wouldn't you?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,700,225 times
this guy is a joke!!! everyone pretty much let him have it. but i will say this.

having homosexual sex does not lead to HIV!
having UNPROTECTED sex of any kind, WITH AN HIV INFECTED person can lead to the possibility of contracting HIV...

it seems like we need some basic sex ed classes.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,366,339 times
My straight brother-in-law, in the early 1980s, was the first person that I knew who died of AIDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies