Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Keep up, will you? I would think it obvious - unless you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Why can you NEVER answer a question? You post a thread and someone asks you a question and you NEVER answer.

"Keep up" ??? With what? Silly alarmist old sayings???

Pirates take a ship one the other side of the world and what? You want me to climb on top my roof in Minnesota with a spyglass and watch out for an imminent attack by PIRATES!!!??????

Maybe you should buy a sharpener for your tool shed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,583,610 times
It's not over yet. There are reports that the pirates are still holding the captain hostage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7990566.stm

Last edited by Bostonian123; 04-08-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM

358 posts, read 472,701 times
It is time for a shared financial responsibility for a US Carrier task force to be stationed in that part of the world with an approiate # for fighters in the air at 24-7. when a ship radios distress then the fighters can head to the ship at 1200mph and blow the shi+ out of the perps.

Problem solved. As for the current ship, pay em off then kill em as they run with the money, if possible.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,802,338 times
Since they're on a life raft I think it'd be pretty awesome if a Navy sub came up out of the water directly below it! Pirates go overboard, Navy grabs the captain and negotiations are over!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,847,671 times
what has africa ever given us of value? god I hate that place.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what has africa ever given us of value? god I hate that place.

Well, it gave us people, coffee, cotton, cacoa beans, palm oil(in everything), tabacco, cloves, gold, diamonds, and OIL:

"A noose, not a bracelet"

by Naomi Klein
June, 2005

[SIZE=4]Africa is a rich continent made poor by rapacious western corporations. G8 leaders must be forced to deliver justice [/SIZE]

Gordon Brown has a new idea about how to "make poverty history" in time for the G8 summit. With Washington so far refusing to double its aid to Africa by 2015, the chancellor is appealing to the "richer oil-producing states" of the Middle East to fill the funding gap. "Oil wealth urged to save Africa," reads the headline in the Observer.
Here is a better idea: instead of Saudi Arabia's oil wealth being used to "save Africa", how about if Africa's oil wealth was used to save Africa -- along with its gas, diamond, gold, platinum, chromium, ferroalloy and coal wealth?
With all this noblesse oblige focused on saving Africa from its misery, it seems like a good time to remember someone else who tried to make poverty history: Ken Saro-Wiwa, who was killed 10 years ago this November by the Nigerian government -- along with eight other Ogoni activists, he was sentenced to death by hanging. Their crime was daring to insist that Nigeria was not poor at all but rich, and that political decisions made in the interests of western multinational corporations kept its people in desperate poverty. Saro-Wiwa gave his life to the idea that the vast oil wealth of the Niger Delta must leave behind more than polluted rivers, charred farmland, rancid air and crumbling schools. He asked not for charity, pity or "relief", but for justice.

The Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People demanded that Shell compensate the people from whose land it had pumped roughly $30bn worth of oil since the 1950s. The company turned to the government for help, and the Nigerian military turned its guns on demonstrators. Before his state-ordered hanging, Saro-Wiwa told the tribunal: "I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial ... The company has, indeed, ducked this particular trial, but its day will surely come." Ten years later, 70% of Nigerians still live on less than $1 a day and Shell is still making superprofits. Equatorial Guinea, which has a major oil deal with ExxonMobil, "got to keep a mere 12% of the oil revenues in the first year of its contract", according to a report on the CBS news programme 60 Minutes -- a share so low it would have been scandalous even at the height of colonial oil pillage. """

Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,847,671 times
it gave us those things? I think not. we traded for those things. duh. we give them things, but they give us nothing. some great people somalia gave us. just ask people in lewiston maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Well, it gave us people, coffee, cotton, cacoa beans, palm oil(in everything), tabacco, cloves, gold, diamonds, and OIL:

"A noose, not a bracelet"

by Naomi Klein
June, 2005

[SIZE=4]Africa is a rich continent made poor by rapacious western corporations. G8 leaders must be forced to deliver justice [/SIZE]

Gordon Brown has a new idea about how to "make poverty history" in time for the G8 summit. With Washington so far refusing to double its aid to Africa by 2015, the chancellor is appealing to the "richer oil-producing states" of the Middle East to fill the funding gap. "Oil wealth urged to save Africa," reads the headline in the Observer.
Here is a better idea: instead of Saudi Arabia's oil wealth being used to "save Africa", how about if Africa's oil wealth was used to save Africa -- along with its gas, diamond, gold, platinum, chromium, ferroalloy and coal wealth?
With all this noblesse oblige focused on saving Africa from its misery, it seems like a good time to remember someone else who tried to make poverty history: Ken Saro-Wiwa, who was killed 10 years ago this November by the Nigerian government -- along with eight other Ogoni activists, he was sentenced to death by hanging. Their crime was daring to insist that Nigeria was not poor at all but rich, and that political decisions made in the interests of western multinational corporations kept its people in desperate poverty. Saro-Wiwa gave his life to the idea that the vast oil wealth of the Niger Delta must leave behind more than polluted rivers, charred farmland, rancid air and crumbling schools. He asked not for charity, pity or "relief", but for justice.

The Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People demanded that Shell compensate the people from whose land it had pumped roughly $30bn worth of oil since the 1950s. The company turned to the government for help, and the Nigerian military turned its guns on demonstrators. Before his state-ordered hanging, Saro-Wiwa told the tribunal: "I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial ... The company has, indeed, ducked this particular trial, but its day will surely come." Ten years later, 70% of Nigerians still live on less than $1 a day and Shell is still making superprofits. Equatorial Guinea, which has a major oil deal with ExxonMobil, "got to keep a mere 12% of the oil revenues in the first year of its contract", according to a report on the CBS news programme 60 Minutes -- a share so low it would have been scandalous even at the height of colonial oil pillage. """

Old 04-09-2009, 05:44 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,616,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
it gave us those things? I think not. we traded for those things. duh. we give them things, but they give us nothing. some great people somalia gave us. just ask people in lewiston maine.

Very ignorant to classify an entire continent based on a band of rebels in Somalia.

Ignorance is bliss!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 AM

358 posts, read 472,701 times
I just had another brain fart for a way to elimate this threat. On each ship a squad of heavily armed special forces with surface to surface missles and other assorted state of the art arms. Put em aboard while at sea b4 entering indian country and pick em up while at sea on the back end. Let the insurance companies, shipping companies and so forth pay the tab.

Then let the priates come on, problem solved and it is farrrrrr more affordable than a carrier task force.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Pirates hijack ship with 20 Americans onboard | Reuters

What will barry do? Pay them off? Ignore it? Go hide under the covers?
So far Saint Barack has ignored the situation. He is only the CIC and is leaving the whole thing to those naval commanders on the scene. I guess that is kind of hiding under the cover of the housing problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies