Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:39 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,797,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Talk about "biting the hand that feeds"... That ship was delivering much needed food aid to SOMALIA, KENYA, etc... I say suspend all food shipments from here on out to that god forsaken continent.

Some people shouldn't breed, and usually those are the same people who should be isolated for extinction.
Yeah, fine thanks huh?

More africrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what has africa ever given us of value? god I hate that place.
Well, I say boycott africa and the mid-east as so much that folks fight over stems from there. (Religions, commodities, etc.) Like you, I'm not overly fond of the place.

But I do believe fact of the matter is, lots of commodities are coming out of africa. Cotton at one time. 2/3rds of the world's cocao, Tea, Coffee, and of course useless but pretty stuff like diamonds, tanzanite, etc. And some strategic metals at the very least.

So, though I maintain we simply need to find other sources and ways of doing things to get off of afro/mid-east commodities, I can't say "nothing of value" comes from over there. (Even if I don't particularly want any of it around me. Trust me, if you start researching the things you buy every day, and say "No afro goods for me... you have a difficult problem. A complete pain in the arse, actually. It's incorporated in so much that is sitting in your grocery store.)

But even so, let's say we could completely disengage. You'd still have to keep an eye on the region militarily. See there's a sort of two way problem here.

If Africa were to ever get on it's feet, the way say, the Africa Aid type people want, then essentially you've empowered the biggest "hood" on the planet. Imagine the Somali pirates with nukes, right? On the other hand some would say it's inhumane to let them starve, kill each other off, etc.

So you are stuck between the horns of a dilemma. Do you be humane and put them on thier feet and risk a continent of raging afro-dictators? Or let the place continue to be a crap hole? Or do you try to just help enough that people aren't suffering, but they can't quite pose a worldwide military threat?

Clearly no easy answer, and any answer carries with it both moral and practical considerations.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Well, it gave us people, coffee, cotton, cacoa beans, palm oil(in everything), tabacco, cloves, gold, diamonds, and OIL:

"A noose, not a bracelet"

by Naomi Klein
June, 2005

[SIZE=4]Africa is a rich continent made poor by rapacious western corporations. G8 leaders must be forced to deliver justice [/SIZE]

Gordon Brown has a new idea about how to "make poverty history" in time for the G8 summit. With Washington so far refusing to double its aid to Africa by 2015, the chancellor is appealing to the "richer oil-producing states" of the Middle East to fill the funding gap. "Oil wealth urged to save Africa," reads the headline in the Observer.
Here is a better idea: instead of Saudi Arabia's oil wealth being used to "save Africa", how about if Africa's oil wealth was used to save Africa -- along with its gas, diamond, gold, platinum, chromium, ferroalloy and coal wealth?
With all this noblesse oblige focused on saving Africa from its misery, it seems like a good time to remember someone else who tried to make poverty history: Ken Saro-Wiwa, who was killed 10 years ago this November by the Nigerian government -- along with eight other Ogoni activists, he was sentenced to death by hanging. Their crime was daring to insist that Nigeria was not poor at all but rich, and that political decisions made in the interests of western multinational corporations kept its people in desperate poverty. Saro-Wiwa gave his life to the idea that the vast oil wealth of the Niger Delta must leave behind more than polluted rivers, charred farmland, rancid air and crumbling schools. He asked not for charity, pity or "relief", but for justice.

The Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People demanded that Shell compensate the people from whose land it had pumped roughly $30bn worth of oil since the 1950s. The company turned to the government for help, and the Nigerian military turned its guns on demonstrators. Before his state-ordered hanging, Saro-Wiwa told the tribunal: "I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial ... The company has, indeed, ducked this particular trial, but its day will surely come." Ten years later, 70% of Nigerians still live on less than $1 a day and Shell is still making superprofits. Equatorial Guinea, which has a major oil deal with ExxonMobil, "got to keep a mere 12% of the oil revenues in the first year of its contract", according to a report on the CBS news programme 60 Minutes -- a share so low it would have been scandalous even at the height of colonial oil pillage. """
Quick and honest question here. Who exactly among the Nigerians is profiting from this? Given that Nigerian military is suppressing the Nigerian peasants, we have another case like slavery. Africans are complicit in keeping Africa a crap hole?

Doesn't make what Shell may/may not be doing right, but still seems that at least part of the problem is coming from some sector of the Africans themselves?

(Of course I suspect a similar claim could be made about the current economic meltdown's effects on average people world-wide vrs. the financiers who concocted it.)

Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,627,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And when those scumbags surrender, give them each a bullet behind the ear.
I agree. The fourth one that surrendered should have been tossed overboard.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,588,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Pirates hijack ship with 20 Americans onboard | Reuters

What will barry do? Pay them off? Ignore it? Go hide under the covers?
Looks like you'll be eating LOTS of humble pie on this one Sanrene!!!

Pay them off? Nope - he didn't.

Ignore it??? Nope...

Go hide under the covers??? Only a brain-dead Ditto head would come up with this one...

What did he do Sanrene??? Hmmmmmm??? Care to admit you were dead wrong with your OP???

He authorized use of force, which DIRECTLY lead to the freeing of the Captain and the killing of 3 scumbag pirates...

Any comments Sanrene?????

We're all anxiously waiting for your apology....

BTW - want ice-cream with your Humble Pie????: D

Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,620,321 times
Sanrene???

Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

We're all waiting patiently for you to admit that you were DEAD WRONG about Obama - for about the 100th time...

Come on - stop hiding - come out and just admit that you tremendously underestimated Obama's great strength of character with your OP... it will make you feel good!!!

Come out, come out, whereever you are!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Sanrene???

We're all waiting patiently for you to admit that you were DEAD WRONG about Obama - for about the 100th time...

Come on - stop hiding - come out and just admit that you tremendously underestimated Obama's great strength of character with your OP... it will make you feel good!!!

I swore I"d never do this, but:

Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,331,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Sanrene???

Girding more loins.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post8300332
and more.....
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post8300114
just look for a slam Obama thread, and the loin girder is there.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,331,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Looks like you'll be eating LOTS of humble pie on this one Sanrene!!!

Pay them off? Nope - he didn't.

Ignore it??? Nope...

Go hide under the covers??? Only a brain-dead Ditto head would come up with this one...

What did he do Sanrene??? Hmmmmmm??? Care to admit you were dead wrong with your OP???

He authorized use of force, which DIRECTLY lead to the freeing of the Captain and the killing of 3 scumbag pirates...

Any comments Sanrene?????

We're all anxiously waiting for your apology....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
BTW - want ice-cream with your Humble Pie????: D
OP will probably be right over after the crow a-la-carte platter is finished.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM

7 posts, read 16,701 times
Default wanna re-think

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
1.Boat has a cover over it, nobody can be seen.

2.Bouncing in a dingy on the ocean, trying to hold a rifle still on water to aim it?

3. Try shooting a rifle from a boat sometime, you will then, "get it".

4. Too much of a chance of killing the captain.
Are you sure about all that????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies