Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
Ten Tax Facts for Tax Day Tea Parties - Press Releases - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/29990007 - broken link)
here's a good explanation.
I understand that and agree with you, on the spending. Though I think it would be alright allow for an economic stimulus deal if it was paid for through equivalent cuts in military spending which Obama/Pelosi/Reid/ and the Republicans are unwilling to do. On taxes part the reason we have as many problems is that the Bush administration lowered marginal tax rates on top income earners without cutting spending, in fact he did the opposite he raised spending taking us out of the period of relative austerity imposed under Clinton and H.W. Also seeing that a consumption tax unlikely to go forward at this time, I would also support returning tax levels to those of the Clinton years or perhaps maybe a little higher to undue the damage created under Bush and created presently. Unfortunately even with these tax increases chances are spending would continue. Utimately I think we probably will need a balenced budget amendment to sort this mess out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
have you ever seen a modern day oil field???
They had the same concerns in Alaska about the oil pipeline disturbing the wildlife. Unfortunately, the caribou seem to favor the nice warm spot.
Trailhead : Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - Posts (http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/trailhead/archive/2008/9/2.aspx - broken link)

but why should we tap our own energy source when we can keep buying it from OPEC!!!
I disagreed with Bush on stem cell research.
You are against a war in Iraq but for abortion??? Go figure.
By the way, troops aren't coming home from Iraq anytime soon, no matter what Obama wants:
General Ray Odierno: we may have to ignore Iraq deadline to halt al-Qaeda terror - Times Online
I would rather have gitmo and wiretapping (being continued by Obama by the way), then cap and trade just to rape the tax payers and legalized illegal aliens just to keep the dems in power longer.

Did I miss anything?
great post!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,017 times
Remember, anything that may make their anointed one-The Obama look bad will either be ignored or ridiculed, do not worry about their lack of coverage-all of us with a PC and internet access can start our own coverage-Right on! Down with the Left once and for all!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
Hence the word MOST. You will not believe this since it is not from the Huffongton post, but 35-50K troops on the ground in a war torn country is hardly ending combat. Wait a minute, I'm not done yet:
- Special interest/Lobbyist: Check
- Budget filled with pork/earmarks: Check
- Nominating crooks in cabinet: Check
- Reckless spending: Check
- Being Saudi Beeyatch: Check
- Bombing and killing innocent afghan villagers: Check
- Fear mongering ie his speech about the economy when the sky was about to fall: Check
- Giving money to people that hate us: Check
- Defending wiretapping: Check

I could go on, but this should do.
Yes, I also think that GW Bush should have been impeached over this mess

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Overwhelmed, not hardly. Obama thrives on multitasking something that was foreign to Bush. I don't think Bush could walk and chew gum at the same time. I mean case in point, look what he did to the country prior to leaving office. He hands Obama two wars, economy in the tank, financial institutions in the toilet... The GOP doesn't have a clue, nope nothing to offer but to just sit there an snivel.
Obama 'Overwhelmed' and 'Worn Out'? - Political Machine - Politics Blog, Opinion and Analysis - AOL News
considering he actually has to make decisions now instead of voting present.
FactCheck.org: How many times did Obama vote 'present' as a state senator? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/how_many_times_did_obama_vote_present.html - broken link)

Unlike W, Obama has not surrounded himself with quality leaders to make up for his shortcomings. He has appointed polarized characters at every turn that do not know how to do the job they have been appointed to. Just look at gaither. He had a chance in the '90s to prevent some of the financial mess, but he didn't have the balls to do it.

And yes the repub's have offered alternatives to the big spending motto of Obama, but he refuses to even consider them. Remember, he won so he can do what he wants.

The voters will remember who spent them into oblivion in the next election. Just wait and see.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Well, if we stop the spending and we lowered taxes for the buinesses to have a chance to win business back into the US we would have a chance. We have one of the highest taxes for businesses and between that and Unions, the companies are going to other countries. We need to get those taxes low and bring the jobs back here to the US.

You can't spend your way out of a recession and you can't tax your way out of it either. You can only grow your way out.

We also need to cut Capital gains taxes to let all of us try to catch up on our savings and 401Ks that we have lost. Instead, the administration wants to increase the taxes on business as well as capital gains.
Cuts in capital gains taxes were tried under Bush with the tax law changes of 2001, 2003 and were part of what lead to the massive deficits of his term. What we need is fiscal austerity, limited new spending and no more tax cuts until we have our deficits sorted out.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 PM

500 posts, read 703,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, I also think that GW Bush should have been impeached over this mess
The bottom line is:

Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I understand that and agree with you, on the spending. Though I think it would be alright allow for an economic stimulus deal if it was paid for through equivalent cuts in military spending which Obama/Pelosi/Reid/ and the Republicans are unwilling to do. On taxes part the reason we have as many problems is that the Bush administration lowered marginal tax rates on top income earners without cutting spending, in fact he did the opposite he raised spending taking us out of the period of relative austerity imposed under Clinton and H.W. Also seeing that a consumption tax unlikely to go forward at this time, I would also support returning tax levels to those of the Clinton years or perhaps maybe a little higher to undue the damage created under Bush and created presently. Unfortunately even with these tax increases chances are spending would continue. Utimately I think we probably will need a balenced budget amendment to sort this mess out.

The problem is raising taxes only on a portion of the population. If you want to raise taxes on everyone, I will hear your argument. What happens when you cut defense spending? thousands of people lose their jobs. How does that help the economy.
We could achieve the same balanced budget without tax increases if the gov't would cut spending across the board. But with record spending the next four years, this country even with higher taxes, might never recover.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
The bottom line is:
Now that's just disturbing. Don't do that again.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Cuts in capital gains taxes were tried under Bush with the tax law changes of 2001, 2003 and were part of what lead to the massive deficits of his term. What we need is fiscal austerity, limited new spending and no more tax cuts until we have our deficits sorted out.
You are correct but in 2001 and 2003 American's hadn't lost 40-60% of our savings and 401K's. So at this time this is the only chance that people have to recoup some of their losses.

I don't think people need tax cuts now, but I do think we have to cut the taxes for businesses. We are losing to other countries because we are one of the highest, I repeat, HIGHEST taxes for businesses. Soooo they pack up their toys and go elsewhere and we, the American workers are losing the jobs.

Take that and pile on 13+ million illegals in this country and we are sitting here saying "why is our unemployment so high?" We can't keep spending and taxing and watching US companies go overseas. We have to start to get more competitive and grow this country again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies