Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Proposed Bill Would Limit Lottery Winnings for Poor | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

A bill under consideration in Tennessee's General Assembly could make it a lot harder for you to win the big bucks.
If you're on welfare, should you be spending money on lottery tickets?
That's a question before Tennessee lawmakers this session.
A proposed bill puts a 600-dollar cap on lottery winnings for people on state or federal assistance.
Any additional winnings would go back to the state.
The legislator proposing the bill says people getting government assistance like food stamps shouldn't be spending money on lottery tickets.
But others say you shouldn't police the way folks spend their cash.
Cecil Hampton of Chattanooga says, "If you giving them the money, you giving it to take care of they self. If they feel like they can buy a lottery ticket to win, then that's what they should be able to do."
If the bill passes, net lottery proceeds are expected to decrease more than 6 Million dollars a year.
When the Welfare Queens of Wall Street and Banking pay it all back instead of using OUR taxes for million dollar remodeling jobs, lavish parties and bonuses for FAILING.....then you can jump all over the poor and screw them into the ground (for legitimately winning MORE THAN YOU HAVE ) because you are so superior...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,543 times
If I am paying someone to stay home...they sure as Im sitting down, had better not be spending MY MONEY on lottery tickets, bingo or anything else, because they are freeloading as it is...

Its insult to injury to me, if they get to freeload, (those who are 3rd and 4th generation Welfare...C'mon...dont give me, I cant get a job...You were raised by Parents who freeloaded on the system and think its your 'right' to do this as long as you can!), then spend money on gambling...baloney!

I worked all my life and am retired. I have the right to do with my money as I pleased, as I have EARNED IT...People on welfare or SSI have done nothing to earn thier money!

Sure, I can see if some one needs a hand out in these tough times, to get over the 'rough edges'...but, to simply freeload and buy booze and gamble the money away while your kids are starving or begging the neighbors to be fed...SORRY, I JUST CANT SEE IT! Get a job, THEN you can do what ever it is, that you want, with your own money!

Too hard on those who are on Assistance? Money is hard to come by, and to spend it friviously like wasting it on lottery tickets, and not taking care of your family is plain asnine! How much do the people on welfare spend and NOT WIN??? sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
This is so ironic since study after study shows that the poor purchase more lottery tickets per capita than any other income group (not surprising) and since these lotteries are state run alternatives to real progressive taxation, the folks who are paying funding the state would be penalized for winning the damned thing, which, by the way, they have a higher chance of being struck by lightening than walking away rich from the local lottery machine.

I find it fascinating how much time is spent by legislators trying to find ways to punish the poor rather finding an effective way of alleviating poverty.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I find it fascinating how much time is spent by legislators trying to find ways to punish the poor rather finding an effective way of alleviating poverty.
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that, say someone won 1,000,000. They get $600 (yeah that is a ridiculous number), the state can use the other 999,400.00 towards social programs.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times
Quote:
Proposed Bill Would Limit Lottery Winnings for Poor | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

A bill under consideration in Tennessee's General Assembly could make it a lot harder for you to win the big bucks.
If you're on welfare, should you be spending money on lottery tickets?
That's a question before Tennessee lawmakers this session.
A proposed bill puts a 600-dollar cap on lottery winnings for people on state or federal assistance.
Any additional winnings would go back to the state.
The legislator proposing the bill says people getting government assistance like food stamps shouldn't be spending money on lottery tickets.
But others say you shouldn't police the way folks spend their cash.
Cecil Hampton of Chattanooga says, "If you giving them the money, you giving it to take care of they self. If they feel like they can buy a lottery ticket to win, then that's what they should be able to do."
If the bill passes, net lottery proceeds are expected to decrease more than 6 Million dollars a year.
I don't understand this. Nobody gets cash assistance anymore... you get WIC checks for food or housing assistance that is paid to the landlord. And even if they did get cash, how can they prove that the cash provided was what was used for the ticket? Is he going to pass a bill that corporations that receive tax breaks cannot use any money for anything besides absolutely necessary expenses for the business? I mean, are the state coffers being drained by poor people buying lottery tickets? Man...

Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I don't understand this. Nobody gets cash assistance anymore... you get WIC checks for food or housing assistance that is paid to the landlord. And even if they did get cash, how can they prove that the cash provided was what was used for the ticket? Is he going to pass a bill that corporations that receive tax breaks cannot use any money for anything besides absolutely necessary expenses for the business? I mean, are the state coffers being drained by poor people buying lottery tickets? Man...

I dont agree with the proposed bill with the way its currently set.

That said I dont think the cash thing really makes a difference. They are pretty much saying, if you're on government assistance, you shouldnt be wasting money on lotto tickets.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times
Quote:
I dont agree with the proposed bill with the way its currently set.

That said I dont think the cash thing really makes a difference. They are pretty much saying, if you're on government assistance, you shouldnt be wasting money on lotto tickets.
The government assist any number of individuals and corporations and yet they don't control their actions to such a degree. They probably should not waste their money on alcohol, cigarettes, cable television, expensive sneakers, etc... so why pick on this? It just seems mean and designed to further punish poor people.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Isn't that the same argument about people buying homes they couldn't afford. The lottery is a scam taking advantage of the people who can least afford it.
Buying a lottery ticket is not a scam. The rules are clear if you win or lose. Buying a house no longer is money in the bank. You are taking a bigger risk buying a house. In fact 99% of those who own a home see it valued less then they purchased it for.

Hey it's about choices. It's there if you want to buy it or just dont buy it. I dont want your govt (not mine) telling us what to do. I would rather see them all self destruct and die a slow death then to see them on their current path to total communism.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
When the Welfare Queens of Wall Street and Banking pay it all back instead of using OUR taxes for million dollar remodeling jobs, lavish parties and bonuses for FAILING.....then you can jump all over the poor and screw them into the ground (for legitimately winning MORE THAN YOU HAVE ) because you are so superior...

Wow...talk about some selective post deleting (this isnt about wall street either).

I'll say it again....go ahead and quote where I said this was a good idea. You like to tell people what they are thinking.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
The lotteries seem to have all kinds of disclaimers, "bet with your head, not over it" and "wager wisely." They aren't out to trick you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies