Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,671,227 times

Advertisements

Fine, end the voucher system.

The problem is what are they changing within the failing DC public schools? What is 'the plan'? Is there one? Or, are they going to funnel the voucher money into an already failed system?
Now remember, this is the government we are talking about. And, a powerful union as well. Change that would be meaningful, such as teacher pay based on merit or raising the bar intstead of lowering it or even admiting that there are large groups of parents who place no value on education whatsoever would be steps in correcting the failure of DCs public schools. None of these things will be done, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,970,913 times
Education vouchers are a form of welfare for the families wealthy enough to pay the rest of the tuition. A couple of thousand is not much help on a 30 grand + tuition,

The Presidents kids are in private school because of the need to protect them from politically and/or financially motivated assault. Consider it required by the Secret Service.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,126,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'm so sad that I can't find a reference to Obama in your link...I may be wrong and that would make me so sad so could you point it out.
Umm, it's in the title.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,194,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Education vouchers are a form of welfare for the families wealthy enough to pay the rest of the tuition. A couple of thousand is not much help on a 30 grand + tuition,

The Presidents kids are in private school because of the need to protect them from politically and/or financially motivated assault. Consider it required by the Secret Service.
I agree with you on Obama's kids, but vouchers here in DC are not for wealthy folks. Hundreds of underprivileged families using vouchers would certainly take you to task on that assumption.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:04 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,804,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
As a single mom of three who wore herself out putting kids through school, let me just say that I know what you're talking about. Your last paragraph is entirely true and that's one of the several problems the voucher system would bring down upon itself.

Your first para is melodramatic. The glories of learning dont exist locked up inside some school building. Look at Michelle Obama. A competent kid remains competent and a committed parent remains committed. Particularly these parents whose vouchers were snatched away - they'll get something worked out with the school if they're committed to their children's educations.

Any kid can supplement a public school curriculum or be homeschooled/tutored with the exact same curriculum the world's best college prep schools offer - whatever colleges require can be achieved supplementally or through advanced placement, tutoring, community college classes, etc., good guidance, an atmosphere of learning at home. Some of the best schools in the country are public schools. I think every public school offers advanced placement and goes out of their way to speed kids on their way to college. There are also magnet schools.

No matter how expensive school taxes are they're still going to be a lot less than a retail private education.

Vouchers - the damage a voucher system would do to private and public schools is well known. I suspect some parents who are pro-voucher actually just want to send their kids to private school for whatever reason but dont want to pay the full tuition plus taxes for a public school they dont care about.

Well, can the kid earn a scholarship? If so, and with good financial planning and negotiation with the school the family should be able to manage. If not, look for a less expensive school or consider going the Michelle Obama route. But if the kid and the parents are committed and the kid knows how to learn, schools will see this and do their best to get that kid situated right.

I appreciate what you are saying but my experience is different. I currently have a child in private school and because of the economy we may have to pull him out. I must tell you it would break my heart. The experience between the private and local Catholic school is night and day. The Catholic school if OK but the resources are non-existent compared to the private school. We are fortunate in that we can be very active in our sons life. I understand we are very lucky. The families in the DC schools are not so lucky. If their kids are pulled from the private school they will end up in a terrible public school system.

I don't believe that single parents in DC have the luxury of time required to supplement all the education their children will not get.

In NJ anyway, your tax statement is way off, many towns have taxes north of $12,000 for an average house.

Please supply some support for your statement about the damage vouchers do to to privates/publics. Finish schools allow kids to select any school they want forcing the schools to compete. You can see the results. BBC NEWS | Education | Finland tops global school table

By the way there is nothing saying the kid couldn.t go to a school in another district if there was room. All schools would be opened to all children.

We cannot comtinue to do the same thing an expect a different result. If Obama wanted to be bold he would start here. But the teachers union will not allow him.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,804,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Amy Carter went to public school. Secret Service can handle it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies