Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 AM

206 posts, read 938,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I support gay marriage. I support it because I believe people deserve to make their own choices, and marriage is a choice, not an obligation or the responsibility of anyone other than the two people wishing to join together.

Having a legal agreement also protects people who form a union, and hence provides them with safe-guards that otherwise do not apply, ie., in cases of death, sharing of property, legally adopting children, and insurance benefits.

I was very pleased that the case of the State of Massachusetts vs. Norton was upheld, and that my long-time friend Mary Norton was able to marry her partner Wendy Becker (both of Providence, RI) and protect their two children.
Couldn't have said it better. I agree. I'll never understand people's opposition to gay marriage. How does two people who love each being married affect them directly? Does gay marriage threaten their own marriage? How does it affect them at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Here's something to think about...in the 60' & 70's, some states didn't allow inter-racial marriages. We've come a long way. I want my marriage btn my partner and I to be legal, but we know the evil monsters called "Intolerance" and "Prejudice" still roam this earth. Hmmmm.... who will stand up against these injustices? It's a generational thing. We'll just wait 'til they...... become senile and start crapping on themselves.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Here's something to think about...in the 60' & 70's, some states didn't allow inter-racial marriages. We've come a long way. I want my marriage btn my partner and I to be legal, but we know the evil monsters called "Intolerance" and "Prejudice" still roam this earth. Hmmmm.... who will stand up against these injustices? It's a generational thing. We'll just wait 'til they...... become senile and start crapping on themselves.
I am behind ya, why not live in misery with the rest of us!! LOL

Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,536 times
Default Stop kidding yourselves

The bottom line is that I as a gay man have paid taxes for the 32 years I have worked to pay for educating the children of heterosexuals. My tax dollars are used to provide free healthcare for children whose parents do not work because it is cheaper to stay at home than work due to childcare cost. All this as they teach their children all the wonderful demeaning things about homosexuals. While in school I went without health insurance while my colleagues were able to be on their spouses insurance plan. Thank God I did not have a major event such as a MI, I would be paying for it the rest of my life. I have been with my partner for a little over 10 years. I find it arrogant and self-serving that heterosexuals do not "allow" me the same rights. Do you heterosexuals have the ability to just imagine for a moment that this is happening to you? It's called empathy.... Do you have any idea how angry this makes me! Being out numbered I've learned to grin and bear it but that gets old, it's time to realize that the days of special rights for heterosexual couples should be over and is hopefully coming to an end. There is a wonderful thing called separation of church and state. My love for God and my religious beliefs, if anything, has made me more apt to seek justice rather than punish those I deem immoral. The world is full of immoralities, lift your hands to God and praise Him. He is the judge of immorality, not I. Through His love I can be kind and just and fight to leave my judgements aside. It is justice I seek, not moral judgment of self serving heterosexuals who view their unions as superior. Use your energy to hold the hand of someone who's fallen not to kick us. I work in a nursing home and see the elderly suffer nightly, crying because they have no one. This is a true statement, not a metaphor! It's horrible! Where are all these moral heterosexual saviors when you need them.

P.S. It is my belief that heterosexuals do not realize the true privileges they have, I honestly think they're unaware. Imagine being attacked for touching your husband or wife’s hand while having a anniversary dinner at a restaurant. I know that most heterosexuals would not believe that to be acceptable but often our silent judgments are acted out by those with less control and compassion.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I can't remember who said it but if gays want to mess up their relationships by getting married, then let them have it!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but I support gay marriage if only for the legal protection factor alone. I mean you could be in a heterosexual marriage for five years, and your spouse suddenly passes away, and the one comfort you have is that being married, your property is community property between the two of you so at least you still have a house to live in, a car to drive, etc.

But OTOH you could be in a gay relationship for thirty years but once your partner passes away, well, what then? Maybe you have property in your mutual name, or maybe the family will come in as next of kin to take the rug from under you. So you're not only emotionally devastated but financially devastated as well...very very harsh.

For the gay poster who resents paying children's education, I know gay people who do have children. In fact my sister-in-law and her wife (I call her her wife...I don't think they're actually married though...they live in Canada...is there gay marriage there?) have one daughter via artificial insemination and now they're trying to get pregnant again. The sister-in-law is carrying both times...her wife wants NO part of that. I laughed when she told me that. I told her, "That's okay. D (my husband) wouldn't go for it either!"

Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,038 times
Gay marriage will affect society as a whole. Once in place you cannot deny polygamy, incestuous marriages, homosexual polygamy (the Ford Motor Company did a story on it) and from a recent gay film, maybe man/horse marriage. You only have to research what is going on in the schools to see what this culture offers to society, search Fistgate and The Little Black Book, Q**** in the 21st Century, handed out to children as young as 12.

It is not what a gay marriage will do to your marriage, it is what is does to society. Think beyond yourself.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
The Connecticut state legislative committee passed Gay marriage- it will now be up for vote in the entire house and Senate here. The Democrats have veto proof majorities in both houses. Republican Governor M. Jodi Rell who signed the civil unions law a year ago has promised to veto the bill if passed. It will be interesting to see where this goes.....

Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Gay marriage will affect society as a whole. Once in place you cannot deny polygamy, incestuous marriages, homosexual polygamy. . .
It is not what a gay marriage will do to your marriage, it is what is does to society. Think beyond yourself.
Yes, nice post. Where does it stop? Not here. It opens up all kinds of possiblities.
Unfortunately most do not think beyond themselves

And the left that is so all accepting of this, while some are well meaning they just don't get the far-reaching implications, and the degradation of our society.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Gay marriage will affect society as a whole. Once in place you cannot deny polygamy, incestuous marriages, homosexual polygamy (the Ford Motor Company did a story on it) and from a recent gay film, maybe man/horse marriage. You only have to research what is going on in the schools to see what this culture offers to society, search Fistgate and The Little Black Book, Q**** in the 21st Century, handed out to children as young as 12.

Was the Ford story produced during Henry's reign? While he was certainly a brilliant industrialist he was also well known to be quite a bigot, I wouldn't hold his opinions on social issues to be something to aspire to.

And "maybe man/horse marriage"? WHERE did THAT come from? And since you seem opposed only to gay marriage should we assume you'd be fine with a man/mare marriage ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies